Asus Z170M-Plus + F4-3200C14D-32GTZ + XMP = Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Z170M-Plus + F4-3200C14D-32GTZ + XMP = Failed

I noticed a couple of posts similar to the problem I've run into, with two opposite outcomes. The short version is, XMP comes up with the dreaded black screen of nothingness, and then the failed overclock message after rebooting.

Product Page
    http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtz

I have attempted to forego XMP, and input the values manually, though I do not know if I even did it correctly, and it still failed. With, the latest attempt I selected the XMP Profile and reduced to speed to 3000MHz instead of 3200MHz, and am currently running at that speed.

This is indeed my first foray into overclocking anything, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Be blessed,
    James

Try boosting DRAM Voltage or VCCSA Voltage to stabilize the system. That RAM is not certified, but good thing 3000 is stable.

Comment

I'm guessing "VCCSA" is listed as "CPU System Agent Voltage" in the BIOS, I just attempted to boost both voltages (individually) by a small amount, with no change in outcome. I noticed something called "CPU VCCIO Voltage", would adjusting that have any effect? Is there a safe limit to boost them by?

I am interested in learning a bit more about what each of them mean/do for future reference, but a quick search of Google only created confusion for me regarding VCCIO and VCCSA.

Be blessed,
      James
      Last edited by entrepid83; 03-30-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Usually scale up to see if stability improves, but if not, it may be a motherboard BIOS/EFI limitation.

With the RAM at 3000, you can lower timings to make up for some performance. And if you want to lower timings even more, raising DRAM Voltage can lower timings even more. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

OK, it appears I have successfully lowered:

DRAM CAS# LATENCY from 14 -> 13
          DRAM RAS# TO CAS# LATENCY from 14 -> 13

Would lowering the DRAM RAS# ACT TIME help as well?

Be blessed,
          James

[EDIT #1] I just happened to put "Asus Z170M-Plus F4-3200C14D-32GTZ" into Google and found the "RAM Configurator". Indeed, F4-3200C14D-32GTZ is not on the list.

Linkage: http://www.gskill.com/en/configurato...484&model=2531

[EDIT #2] It also seems like it may be a CPU limitation as well, based on this thread: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=13837
          Last edited by entrepid83; 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

OK, tweaked the DRAM Timings to: 13, 13, and 28.

Comment

They might be able to go even lower with more DRAM Voltage and tweaking

Comment

Working...
              X