Stability issues with Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB and ASRock Z87 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability issues with Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB and ASRock Z87 Extreme4

G.Skill F3-1866C10D-16GAB (Ares 2x8GB DDR3 1866)
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with UEFI 2.30
    Intel i7 4770K at stock speed
    Cooler Master 212 EVO (CPU temps around 30C idle)
    XFX XXX Edition P1-650X-CAG9 650W Power Supply
    EVGA nVidia GTX 560Ti

Memory in slots 2 & 4 per manual recommendations (link - page 20)

I'm having issues with system stability in both Windows 8 and Linux Mint 15. Several hard lockups with display active, several hard lockups while system has sat idle and display off (but system not in sleep mode), and one Windows 8 BSOD-like screen.

I have tried profiles XMP1, XMP2, and auto (1333) while leaving the CPU speed on auto. The system eventually locks up regardless of the profile (or auto) used.

EDIT
    I was finally able to flash the beta UEFI 2.21B (had to disconnect all SATA drives before ASRock's instant flash worked). Although version number is lower, it was built after 2.30 - verified by file date and website. Considering the system stability issues at even 1333, the RAM may not be at fault here. I will continue testing with this newer UEFI as well as ensuring AC power to the system is stable.
    Last edited by mdmower; 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM.

Try raising the the DRAM voltage + 0.05 and see if it helps

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Tradesman. Following-up on my first post, I am now at 32hrs of uptime without a hiccup. I do not think this was a memory related issue (or at least, not a UEFI settings issue). The remedy came from one of these:
      1) I hooked the computer up to my PFC Sinewave UPS which has always-on voltage regulation
      2) I flashed beta UEFI 2.21B

I have been running profile XMP1 and have not needed any voltage adjustments.

Comment

Sounds good, the BIOS update more than likely had a ton of DRAM updates, mosy BIOS updates do

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X