F3-2133C9-4GAB on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2133C9-4GAB on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

I just purchased a 2-module set of this memory and I'm trying to get it to work on my motherboard.

What I expected to do was to set the mem multiplier to 10.66 (200x10.66~2133), set the memory to 1.65, set the timings manually (9-11-10-28) and be done with it, but doing this the machine won't post.

It just sits there, blank screen for a couple of seconds, and I get a notice over the post screen saying that overclocking caused boot problems and the values have been reverted.

I also tried the 2133 DOCP profile, and tried increasing the voltage to the RAM by 0.05 to 1.7v, and setting the CPU NB VID control to +0.1v, but none of that helped.
    Actually, none of the "frequency-named" DOCP profiles works, not even 1600 MHz.

Strangely, there's a "Profile2" DOCP setting that sets the system frequency to 228 MHz and the DDR multiplier to 9.33, thus reaching 2127 MHz (same system voltages, same memory timings as I had set), and it seems to work, but that leaves my NB, processor and HT with weird timing values, which I'd really like to avoid.

Since even setting the base frequency to 229 (which leaves the memory at 2136 MHz) seems to work, I tend to think the controller is actually capable of handling 2133 with no issues.

Now, can anybody help me find a way to get the memory to 2133 without messing up with all of the system's timings?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by uker; 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM.

What CPU? also don't understand this

"setting the base frequency to 229 (which leaves the memory at 2136 MHz) seems to work"

is 2136 is working, then...???

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The CPU is a 4170 (4.2 GHz quad).

And yes, 2136 is working.
      I just don't think the system operating with these weird timings is the best way to do things.

To set things clear, I know your product is doing its job.
      I just asked here because you'll probably know how to set things up better than I just did.

Comment

Well, first congrats on getting it running at 2136....The freqs will have to be on the high side to run at/around 2133 and generally take additional voltage to CPU/NB and DRAM....it's just the matter of the beast...AMD has weaker MCs (memory controllers) than do Intel, so it can take some odd settings to get things to run with fast sticks. Your CPU (and the FX series in general) are actually 1333 rated CPUs, but AMD promotes them as able to run UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL.

Also, on your reporting the post to the Admins/moderators GSkill is/has been revamping the forums in the last couple weeks, am sure a number of general posts an info threads will be moved once all the primary and sub forums are finalized

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Now, to sum things up, am I not supposed to expect this to run at 200x10.66, despite my motherboard allowing me to select it?

Doesn't having these odd timings (mainly the 3:14 FSB/DRAM ratio) hinder the system's performance?
          Last edited by uker; 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

You can try it, will prob have to play with voltages, some approaches take more or less voltage than others

Tman

Comment

Well, yeah, I did do some fiddling with it, as I described in the OP, but I didn't want to go any further than touching those two voltages, since I'm not really versed in overclocking, and I feared blowing something up.

Can you provide some guidance on what voltages I should try raising, and what are safe thresholds for them?

Comment

I'd keep DRAM within 0.10 of spec, CPU/NB can vary a lot, it all depends on the individual combo, I normally raise as needed and monitor temps. I can't be real specific as I work w/ AMD but seldom ever build on the platform...I'd start at prob 1.2 and just work from there

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X