Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New system won't start up (G.skill ripjaws DDR3-1600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system won't start up (G.skill ripjaws DDR3-1600)

Hi there
    I am currently experiencing problem with my new system (G.skill ripjaws DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4Gb * 2 and Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard)

The problem is that the system won't boot up at all
    It's a new system and has never started up, I can't get into the bios as the boot up sequence doesn't get that far, here's what I've tried so far:

1. Disconnect any sata connections and then try to start up the system
    2. Try booting up with one stick of memory in different slots.
    3. I only have the CPU, graphics card and memory connected presently
    4. Cleared the cmos (removed jumper cap from slots 1-2 and connected it to pins 2-3 for 10 seconds)
    5. Tried to boot up using one memory stick at a time i.e. each memory stick separately.
    6. Cleaned the memory stick connections and the memory slots on the motherboard.
    7. Whatever I try and do all I get is 3 beeps (possibly 1 long and 2 short difficult to say)
    8. When I tried each memory stick I also tried to use 'memok' utility (i.e. press the button until the led flashes and then allow the motherboard to change any relevant settings).

but all to no avail, I've tried everything I can think of so I would be really grateful if anyone could assist

Many Thanks
    Paul

Intended system spec:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor
    Gskill ripjaws DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 (4Gb X 2)
    ASUS EAH5670
    Hitachi Sata 1.5Tb HDD
    GX Lite 700W PSU

DO you have the power connected to the mobo with the 24PIN connector and the 4/8 CPU power connector? If needed is there power to the video card? Other than missing power, my first though on a new build is possibly thermal compound on the bottom of the CPU or in the socket...or...bent broken pins there.....or a faulty CPU or mobo. Generally if if a stick is bad the system will still get to BIOS, and while I'm not sure exactly what sticks you have, there's at least two of them....might see if you can try them in another system if you have one or a friend will let you try them in theirs

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK will try your suggestion

Hi Tradesman
      Many thanks for your response, I will check what you've suggested when I get time and let you know how I get on - keep up the good work !
      Paul

Comment

Thanx, and if not a quick response, I'm in and out every day, have been hammered the last few days with lots of little jobs (some are systems things but a lot on the home repairs side so it's primarily in the afternoon when I can jump on a system and then in the evenings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Update

Hi there
          This is what I have tried today:
          1. Rechecked the cable connections from the case to the motherboard to the system panel, they are all connected correctly.
          2. I have checked and re-checked the cable connections for the 24 pin connection and the 8 pin connector for the CPU power connector. The power supply comes with two 8 pin connectors and I have tried both available connections.
          3. I have removed the CPU and checked for any thermal paste that may have become loose and caused a problem (there is no evidence of extra thermal paste) fyi I am using the CPU fan that came with the CPU.
          4. I have managed to try another CPU (Phenom II 955 3.2Ghz) without success.
          5. I accidentally powered up the system with no memory in any of the slots and I still got the same 3 beeps so it may not be the memory?

thanks for any help or suggestions regarding this problem

Paul

Comment

May be a bad mobo - but you mention 2 8pin connectors - check those and make sure they aren't connections for a PCI card (just an off chance, as they shouldn't fit)) the PSU may only have a 4 Pin connector for CPU

Tman

Comment

Update

May be a bad mobo - but you mention 2 8pin connectors - check those and make sure they aren't connections for a PCI card (just an off chance, as they shouldn't fit)) the PSU may only have a 4 Pin connector for CPU
              Just for information this is the PSU that I'm using

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6790

I'm sure that I have only connected the 8 pin connectors to the correct CPU connection, I have now logged a support call with ASUS, I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your help Tman

Cheers
              Paul

Comment

Will be waiting to hear

Tman

Comment

Update (Success with the Gskill memory)

Hi there
                  After trying what Tman suggested without success I resigned myself to the fact that it could be a faulty m/board so I tried to convince Asus to RMA the motherboard (without success) so I purchased another motherboard and Hey Presto everything worked like a charm so I now have a fully functioning PC with the Gskill memory working like a dream (and a useless faulty motherboard that Asus won't allow me to send back to them so that they can investigate the problem )

Special Thanks to Tman for his help - much appreciated

Comment

Might let Asus know what you did, what the problems were and that all is great now except for their faulty mobo, and since they won't do anything about it, you will be contacting the BBB as well as posting your story in every tech forum you can find as well as passing the word to everyone you can to not touch Asus....they might change their tune about the mobo.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X