Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Tman,

No I did not check each module individually. I would have to remove the CPU heat sink each time I want to access the memory.

I understood that the lab already tested each stick individually and didn't find an error. However, since I haven't done it I'm not sure it had been done.

Frankly, the service of the local G.Skill importer K.S.P. - which is also a retail chain - is appalling !!!

On one side their technician is telling me that the G.Skill memory, at least the 32GB 8 DIMM kit is incompatible with the Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard and will always cause problems. He recommended to exchange it for another brand. Prior to buying the components to built a complete PC, I had K.S.P. check and confirm my hardware selection in writing (email).

Then again when I want to replace the memory for a working kit the technician is telling me the memory is fine and I need to talk to their service center to see if they are willing to replace under warranty or to upgrade to the 4x8GB DIMMs.

The service center in turn is not responding - neither on my written (email) request, nor to my phone request where I left all the details with their service representative who told me the service manager will get the details and reply to my mail within maximum 24 hours.

In the meantime I see that K.S.P. has no more 32GB memory kits on stock - it looks like I'm out of luck.

Comment

Check your PMs and I'll be back in a couple hours or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman!

You have been of great help! Not only did G.Skill contact me directly to resolve the problem, they also contacted their local importer/retailer where I happened to buy the PC and memory. I will be upgrading to the 4*8GB DDR3-1600 quad channel memory and the local retailer/importer will test the PC with the memory to make sure it works without faults.

I think this customer support from G.Skill - even to an end-user - is extraordinary. Also the responsiveness!

I will be reporting back next week when I get my PC with the new DIMMs.

Kudos to G.Skill for their exemplary support.

Comment

Did I say that your (Tradesman) help has been extraordinary. I don't know what I've done without you!

Comment

That's one reason I enjoy helping out here, GSkill stands behind their products, many manufacturers out there just blame others and don't really have any touch with the customers. Glad I could be of any help, though wish we could have gotten things running as we went, but at times there are just things that don't gel together. Keep in touch and continue to let us know how it's going

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just got a mail that my replacement memory will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get my PC up and running.

Comment

We'll be waiting to hear from you

Tman

Comment

Hello Tman,

The new memory arrived (I asked to upgrade to 4x8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 10-10-10-30-2N memory) and I brought the PC to the shop to have them install the memory and test the system. They installed the memory, reset the CMOS (I asked them to to make sure there are no settings that I left when trying the other memory), and turned on XMP. Everything seemed fine until he made a cold reboot.

One of their procedures to test a new PC is to turn it off, remove the power cord, and press the power button for a while (so the technician explained). Next is to connect the power cord and boot the PC. During POST this message appears:

overclock fail

It then allows you to enter the BIOS and make changes. The technician explained to me that he could just exit the BIOS and reboot and this time no message would appear, or carry on and boot or load the Windows installer.

Following this they haven't done any further tests. What do you make of it?

Any suggestions?

My hardware for reference:
                  i7 3930K C2 stepping
                  Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard
                  Noctua D14 cooler
                  Seasonic Gold 670W power supply
                  PNY Quadro 600 (Nvidia) graphics card
                  Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD
                  WD20EARX hard drive
                  DVD RW drive
                  Corsair carbide 500 chassis

RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4) 10-10-10-30-2N 1.5V = 32GB

Tman, what do you suggest?

Also, please give me the exact BIOS settings to use with this motherboard and memory, or the range we should try.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Comment

I forgot to mention:

The BIOS revision is the latest one, revision 1203.

When enabling XMP the BIOS reads the memory specs and all settings look fine (timings, speed, voltage, all according to specs.).

Comment

To start, if they've already reset the CMOS, simply boot into BIOS, enable XMP, select the 1600 profile and boot. Shut down and reboot into BIOS, and check the DRAM timings, should be 10-10-10-30 2T 1.5...if the timings don't come up right or any problems let me know. If the BIOS is ready for the 32GB, then it should be basically fine -- many Asus mobos aren't ready so may have to adjust voltages

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply!

They used your procedure and the XMP settings and timings showed up in the BIOS.

Only when you power down, disconnect the power cord, reconnect and boot (cold boot) there is the "OC fail" message. One can then go into the BIOS and just save and start and it boots fine.

I'm wondering if this is something to be concerned about, or not?

I've read plenty of posts of Asus Sabertooth X79 users that run 32GB of memory, just yesterday I found a post on a hackintosh forum where the a guy runs 64GB on this board.

Comment

The technician just called me. Following yesterdays OC fail issue with the G.Skill memory, he replaced it with Kingston 9-9-9-27 DDR3-1600 memory and since he didn't have a 32GB kit he installed a 16GB kit and two 8GB kits - 8 DIMMs in total. With XMP enabled after installing the first 16GB kit, and adding the other two kits, he ran Prime95 all night with zero errors and no core shutdowns. Also, a cold reboot wouldn't cause an OC fail message. We all know that mixing different kits is NOT advisable, but this test clearly points to memory issues or incompatibility.

At least now I know the motherboard / CPU / and PSU are working fine.

I advised him now to reinstall the G.Skill memory and run the same Prime95 test to see what comes up (of course resetting the CMOS and enabling XMP, but without any other voltage adjustments).

Comment

Can you find what the BIOS setting are? Appears they are assuming the BIOS is 100% good (which it seldom to never is, especially with large amounts of DRAM (i.e. 1 mobo I had, a P67, was on the market for over a year and had a max tRFC limit on it of 255, many 4x8GB sets require a tRFC of 270 or above, would want to take a look at DRAM settings both base timings and advanced and all system voltages - also seems strange a system shop has NO 32 GB sets, and apparently only 1 single 16GB set....would almost guess they tried various sets till they got a combo that would work

Tman

Comment

I doubt they spent time in trying different sets to find a combination that worked. I was there in the afternoon while they still had the G.Skill in the PC. Next morning the technician called to tell me that he ran the other memory sets together and it ran all night without error (Prime95) at full load. Knowing that they are always very busy and don't have many spares on stock (why did they throw in 3 sets? - if they had a 32GB set they would use that, or at least 2 16GB sets) I really doubt that.

Anyway, I asked them to run the G.Skill through the paces at default settings with XMP enabled. If that works - great. If not, I'll try to get the screenshots for the settings to look at them.

With reference to their first trials with the new G.Skill memory, they did try the recommended settings on the G.Skill website as well as what you mentioned (the technician follows this thread and used the recommendations given here). It still gave the OC fail when doing a cold boot.

I wonder if there are recommended settings for that particular memory / MB / CPU combination? Perhaps also the BIOS revision (1203 in my case, i.e. the latest BIOS revision).

Comment

Reset CMOS install 1 stick, slot one, enable XMP, power down, install the other sticks in proper slots and boot, then check the timings, advance timings and voltages...that's what I would like to see - will give a good idea if the BIOS is setting things up right

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X