Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning. If its any help I have the same motherboard CPU and ram. I have the same issues as you and it's driving me nuts!!!! My system works as intended but fails to prime 95 or linx test. I have replaced the motherboard with a cheap Msi motherboard and this has not resolved the issues. I have tweaked every setting in the bios and maxed all voltages to Intels max specs but nothing will work. I can't get a stable prime 95 test past 2 hours. I have changed ram speed, timings, disabled every bios setting I can, tried one sticks, two stick, all sticks, reinstalled windows, I can game for hours or use my PC for days with out issues but I can't get it stable.

I am loosing my mind and I'm thinking it can be two things, a dodge psu or **** ram. Oh btw I have replaced the ram 3 times because 3 packs were dead!!!! Doesn't this ram get extensive testing?

I will buy a new pack of 16gb ram today and will test that to see if it helps, if not then psu will be next. Ill go Kingston or corsair ram. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

You mention a MSI mobo, ig you can provide which one, what your running the CPU at, DRAM timings (basic and advanced), system voltages etc, we can try and help

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        You mention a MSI mobo, ig you can provide which one, what your running the CPU at, DRAM timings (basic and advanced), system voltages etc, we can try and help
        Hi there, I was running sabertooth x79 and then brought a MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) motherboard and both have the issues. Both have the latest bios. I am running a i7 3930k running at stock, I have disabled all cores, disabled HT, disabled all cpu technologies, power states etc and nothing will work. I have used XMP on my ram I have manually used timings of 11-11-11-30 2T 1.5V and this does not work either. I have tried CPU voltage of 1.35V, I have tried VTT at 1.4V, I have tried SA at 1.4V, I have tried CPU PLL at 2.0V, I have tried 1333MHZ instead of 1600MHZ. I am out of ideas....

Comment

Hi,

I got some Corsair Ram today, wish me luck, I am Priming now!!!! If this does not resolve my issue then it has to be a dodgy PSU. I cant see it being a dodgy CPU? Its highly unlike CPU's to be faulty...

Comment

@stripe123: It seems that X79 boards are generally tricky, and the more memory you run the trickier it gets.

I have also tried all suggestions given here, and even replaced the 8x4GB memory for 4x8GB G.Skill memory. Though this improved matters, it didn't solve it for me (would fail stress test).

If you say that in practice everything works stable, and only Prime95 shows errors, it's your call to decide whether or not to do something about it. In any case, I would not use excessive voltage settings as chances are that they shorten your CPU lifetime.

Tradesman on this forum here has been very helpful in trying to resolve my issues. Unfortunately in my case it didn't work and I eventually went with Kingston memory. Still, I believe that G.Skill's support is exemplary, and I would have loved to stick with this brand.

In the meantime I discovered some issues with my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth X79) - buggy Marvell SATA controller, reportedly VT-d issues with newest BIOS releases, and no support whatsoever for OSes others than Microsoft - I can't recommend that board, nor Asus in general. Asus' policy of providing next to no information with BIOS upgrades, as well as updating the QVL (qualified vendor list) perhaps once a year (if at all) is very discouraging too.

Since you tried 2 different boards, it does seem to be a memory issue or P/S. If you use 4GB DIMMs you may want to try the 8GB DIMMs, they might work better. Last not least, reset all BIOS settings to default, then enable XMP. Further tweaking of BIOS settings should be done according to the recommendations of the vendor or someone with knowledge - there is no point in trying all sorts of settings.
            Last edited by powerhouse; 11-08-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by powerhouse View Post
              @stripe123: It seems that X79 boards are generally tricky, and the more memory you run the trickier it gets.

I have also tried all suggestions given here, and even replaced the 8x4GB memory for 4x8GB G.Skill memory. Though this improved matters, it didn't solve it for me (would fail stress test).

If you say that in practice everything works stable, and only Prime95 shows errors, it's your call to decide whether or not to do something about it. In any case, I would not use excessive voltage settings as chances are that they shorten your CPU lifetime.

Tradesman on this forum here has been very helpful in trying to resolve my issues. Unfortunately in my case it didn't work and I eventually went with Kingston memory. Still, I believe that G.Skill's support is exemplary, and I would have loved to stick with this brand.

In the meantime I discovered some issues with my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth X79) - buggy Marvell SATA controller, reportedly VT-d issues with newest BIOS releases, and no support whatsoever for OSes others than Microsoft - I can't recommend that board, nor Asus in general. Asus' policy of providing next to no information with BIOS upgrades, as well as updating the QVL (qualified vendor list) perhaps once a year (if at all) is very discouraging too.

Since you tried 2 different boards, I does seem to be a memory issue. If you use 4GB DIMMs you may want to try the 8GB DIMMs, they might work better. Last not least, reset all BIOS settings to default, then enable XMP. Further tweaking of BIOS settings should be done according to the recommendations of the vendor or someone with knowledge - there is no point in trying all sorts of settings.

You also mentioned that some memory modules were faulty and you had to replace them? It is important to buy ONE memory kit, not two or more kits, even if they are identical. If you want to have 16GB, buy a 16GB kit, not 2 8GB kits. Hope I'm not repeating the obvious here.
              I had another reboot after 3.5 hours, it seems as though this is never going to end

Comment

If nothing works, try Kingston or Samsung memory. The latter may be hard to find. They may not be the best for overclocking, but they are considered to be the most compatible ones. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X