Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerhouse
    replied
    I checked with the PC repair shop. They've been running an R.S.T. (hardware-based RAM stress test) for more than a week now, testing each individual DIMM as well as all 8 installed. Each DIMM tests fine, but when they are all installed there are errors.

They managed to reduce the number of errors from over 60 errors down to 18 errors which appear usually only after around 17-18 hours, by tweaking the voltages to 1.65V and 1.25V respectively.

Their opinion is that the RAM, that is each DIMM on its own, is fine but when all 8 DIMMs are installed the system is not stable. They suggest to replace the RAM for another kind, or use 4x 8GB DIMMs and not use all slots.

Before doing so, I like to get your advise.

Are you familiar with the R.S.T. solution? Are the results reliable? They claim that this is the best memory stress test there is.

Or is there any other suggestion as to the BIOS settings?

Or, would it be save to use the PC under normal usage as I don't intend to run stress tests just for the fun of it? The shop guy said that given the test results I would have to expect errors from time to time, which I really don't want. I want a stable system.

Some other remarks:
    XMP is enabled
    The DIMMs run on 1600MHz
    No overclocking
    Cooling and temperatures are fine
    My SeaSonic 670W Gold power supply is deemed sufficient, especially since I don't use any components that drain high power (the PNY Quadro 600 doesn't even need or have an extra power header)

What do you suggest?

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Let me know, I'll be in and out over the weekend

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Thanks. The PC is currently with the shop to have it checked for hardware issues. Once I get it back I will check their settings and compare.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Give that a try and get back to us, if still problems can you post your DRAM Timings (including advanced) as well as your system voltage settings

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Thanks!

My PC shop did activate XMP and left the rest on default. However, since they discovered memory issues, I was wandering if there are other settings that need to be adjusted.

1. So, from your answer I take that I need to use the Rampage settings:
    I. XMP
    II. Tweak Mode 1 (don't know if I got this, but will look for it)
    III. VCCSA = 1.25V

Please confirm.

2. Thanks for the explanations. Here you say that XMP itself should do the trick? Somehow I'm confused now.

Fact is that XMP alone does produce memory errors (according to my PC shop). Would the settings under 1. help fix the problems?

Thanks again for your help.

Leave a comment:

• GSKILL TECH
    replied
    1. Yes, same, you should enable XMP, double check all the settings are input correctly by the motherboard, then boot.

2. We established compatibility by testing many memory models on that motherboard. If there are any issues, we work with ASUS to have it resolved immediately. We work closesly with them, so you don't have to worry about compatibility.

Have you tried enabling XMP? It should take care of the issues.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10842

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Leave a comment:

• Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

I'm having problems installing either Windows 7 or Linux (any distribution) on the following hardware:

Asus Sabertooth X79 - latest BIOS release 1104
    G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) 32GB RAM
    Intel i7 3930K (C2 stepping with VT-d support)
    Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD (latest firmware)
    PNY Quadro 600 (Nvidia) video card
    WD Green 2TB hard drive
    SeaSonic Gold 660W power supply

Typically I'm able to boot Linux live USB and the system seems to work fine. But after installation on SSD and reboot, I get either file system errors on boot, file corruption errors, or after booting successfully and doing some software installation, I get segmentation faults with synaptic or other software installers.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate displays similar errors. It installs from DVD, but wouldn't boot - showing file errors etc. The same happens when I replace the SSD with the WD hard drive, so I rule out the SSD drive.

Segmentation faults in Linux are usually tell-tale signs of memory problems. So I ran memtest86+ for 3 hours (1 pass) and it didn't show errors. I then tried memtester from within Linux, which sometimes showed errors, sometimes passed successfully (with "sometimes" meaning after I rebooted. I returned the PC to the shop and they also found memory errors during stress tests, and are currently testing each stick individually.

HOWEVER, I read in some forums that using 8 memory sticks could cause boot problems as described above, and one needs to adjust the BIOS settings to make it work. The recommendations were:

Enable XMP
    VCCSA & CPUVTT set to 1.20V

My questions:

1. What are the recommended BIOS settings for the Asus Sabertooth X79 with G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (32GB) RAM when using an Intel i7 3930K processor?
    If BIOS settings are available for other Asus X79 boards, please let me know. For example, the G.Skill website has a link to the following X.M.P. manual document next to the Asus Rampage IV Extreme on the compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...0OU5VPe6CUoFso
    Do these settings also pertain to the other Asus X79 boards, specifically the Asus Sabertooth X79?
    It's a bit confusing.

2. The G.Skill website explicitly lists the Asus Sabertooth X79 as compatible with the RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL memory pack. However, this specific memory package is not listed on the Asus Sabertooth X79 QVM list from November 2011 (the latest one available on the Asus website). Please clarify if and how G.Skill established compatibility with the Asus Sabertooth X79 board.

Your help is appreciated!
Working...
X