Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradesman
    replied
    We'll be waiting to hear from you

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Just got a mail that my replacement memory will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get my PC up and running.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    That's one reason I enjoy helping out here, GSkill stands behind their products, many manufacturers out there just blame others and don't really have any touch with the customers. Glad I could be of any help, though wish we could have gotten things running as we went, but at times there are just things that don't gel together. Keep in touch and continue to let us know how it's going

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Did I say that your (Tradesman) help has been extraordinary. I don't know what I've done without you!

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Thanks Tman!

You have been of great help! Not only did G.Skill contact me directly to resolve the problem, they also contacted their local importer/retailer where I happened to buy the PC and memory. I will be upgrading to the 4*8GB DDR3-1600 quad channel memory and the local retailer/importer will test the PC with the memory to make sure it works without faults.

I think this customer support from G.Skill - even to an end-user - is extraordinary. Also the responsiveness!

I will be reporting back next week when I get my PC with the new DIMMs.

Kudos to G.Skill for their exemplary support.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Check your PMs and I'll be back in a couple hours or so

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Hello Tman,

No I did not check each module individually. I would have to remove the CPU heat sink each time I want to access the memory.

I understood that the lab already tested each stick individually and didn't find an error. However, since I haven't done it I'm not sure it had been done.

Frankly, the service of the local G.Skill importer K.S.P. - which is also a retail chain - is appalling !!!

On one side their technician is telling me that the G.Skill memory, at least the 32GB 8 DIMM kit is incompatible with the Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard and will always cause problems. He recommended to exchange it for another brand. Prior to buying the components to built a complete PC, I had K.S.P. check and confirm my hardware selection in writing (email).

Then again when I want to replace the memory for a working kit the technician is telling me the memory is fine and I need to talk to their service center to see if they are willing to replace under warranty or to upgrade to the 4x8GB DIMMs.

The service center in turn is not responding - neither on my written (email) request, nor to my phone request where I left all the details with their service representative who told me the service manager will get the details and reply to my mail within maximum 24 hours.

In the meantime I see that K.S.P. has no more 32GB memory kits on stock - it looks like I'm out of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    I'd guess so, if the problem continually shows at the same address, did you try each stick by itself to narrow down to a specific stick or sticks......also check your PMs for one from me, will fire it off shortly

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    I've given it a try without success. It seems quite obvious that one of the DIMMs is faulty (I always get an error at the same exact address, no matter which BIOS setting or test).

I removed the memory from the PC and am going to return it tomorrow for replacement.

Tradesman: have you got any connection to G.Skill management / worldwide sales? The reason I'm asking is that I have had really bad experiences with the retail chain here that also happens to be the G.Skill distributor. I wanted to replace the memory for 8GB DIMMs (also G.Skill) and pay the extra money but they sent me around in circles.

Also, can you confirm that this looks like a DIMM defect?

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Hello tradesman, I have 8x4GB sticks, that is the RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBBZL memory kit. It's a DDR3-1600MHz quad channel, 9-9-9-24 kit.

What do you suggest here?

In the meantime I have tried the following adjustments and still get memory errors:

VCCSA to 1.1, 1.15 and 1.2V with LLC set to Regular
    as well as all the memory related settings published here http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10512.

This includes all the recommendations shown on the print screens, including increasing DRAM AB/CD Current capability to 120% and Optimized power phase control.

IMPORTANT:

No matter what I do, I invariably receive the same error with memtest86+ v4.2, pointing to memory address 00344008e40 - 13376.0 MB. It's always a single bit error, which shows up at test #4-6 (moving patterns or inversions).

Is this a sign of faulty memory?

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    I'd try raising the DRAM Ref Cycle Time (tRFC), for 4 8GB sticks, would lean towards 355-278 or so,

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Ok, I finally returned the PC.

Here is the current setup:

Everything on default, except:

XMP enabled
    VT-d enabled
    Surge protection disabled

I ran memtest86+ v4.2 today and get memory errors.

Here are my settings in detail:

All other memory settings are "Auto".

Here the voltages (I changed nothing from default):

All the other power settings are on Auto.

CPU performance settings:

What do you suggest? The memory is obviously not stable right now. Which settings need adjustment?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Just my opinion, but I think you'll be fine with the rig

Leave a comment:

• powerhouse
    replied
    Here the news: Aida64 passed. However, using the RST Pro board, it showed some errors after a few hours. Prime95 passed, but it also shut down a core after some hours. The technician believes that the core shutdown in Prime95 is a sign of memory problems. I don't know what to make of it.

I need a stable system. I bought it to run Linux with a Xen kernel running a domU (virtual machine) with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and VGA passthrough. I will also install some guest OSes as domU with remote desktops. The Windows domU will be used for photo processing/editing and it must be solid as a rock. For normal use (Internet, mail, etc.) I want to use the Linux dom0.

This is a setup very few people will have or require, but in my case its the only real solution. I'm fed up with dual boot (Linux and Windows), since the only reason I run Windows is for the photo processing and monitor calibration (I have a high end monitor with internal LUT working in 14 bit color depth). My graphics card also supports 14 (or 16?) bits color depth.

It will be challenging enough to make all that work. I don't need any hardware problems.

What do you think? Will the memory/system be stable? Or should I be concerned about the Prime95 core shutdown and RST errors?

From my experience Linux is more stable or sometimes more forgiving with memory issues than Windows. In windows you get the blue screen. In Linux you get all sorts of errors such as segmentation faults or file system errors that often let you continue to work, but the system is nevertheless screwed up. I also expect some challenges in installing the Linux Xen kernel with the Nvidia driver that I want to use. This means that the hardware must be reliable to eliminate yet further complications.

What do you suggest?

Do you think that the DDR3-1600 4x8GB memory kit will be more stable or easier to setup?

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Keep us updated

Leave a comment:

Working...
X