Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed 8g of RAM, says 4g is still installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed 8g of RAM, says 4g is still installed.

Hi! I'm new to the forums and this is the first time I've upgraded RAM.

I have an HP Pavilion g7 laptop that originally had 2x2g of RAM and I upgraded it to 2x4g of RAM, but it still shows up as 4g instead of 8g. This is what I bought from Newegg.com:

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ

What should I do? Help me!

I'm pretty sure I've installed it correctly... I mean, my laptop turns on...

EDIT:

Also, when I started up my laptop, it sounded like a helicopter for a minute with some weird "dit-dit-dit" sounds, but then stopped.
    Last edited by WarriorGal; 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM. Reason: additional info

Make sure sticks are snugly installed, ensure it will take 8GB, and that you have a 64bit version of the OS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

One wasn't in all the way, but then I fixed it and now my laptop is stuck in a startup loop with a flash of Blue Screen! I tried putting the original RAM back but I have the same results!
      Last edited by WarriorGal; 05-28-2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Try with a single stick and see if you can get into BIOS, then reset BIOS to defaults

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, had a busy week.

How do I do this?

Comment

Most laptops don't really allow to change much in BIOS, but it should have an option for System defaults, then can add the second stick and it will hopefully pick up correctly

Tman

Comment

This memory kit would be a better fit:

G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X