Value of higher RAM speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of higher RAM speed

32Gb_DDR3_G.Skill_4X8Gb_Kit_1600Mhz_F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL_RipjawsZ_Ripjaws-Z $309.00

32Gb DDR3 G.Skill TridentX Series memory :2666Mhz 4 x 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 $499.00
    Prices in AUD for dual channel memory.
    There is quite a difference in the price of these 32gb kits. My interest is what % diff is there in practical performance rather than theoretical. Can I justify the extra cost ?Is it worth it. This is for a new build. Photo and Video processing mainly. Perhaps a few games.
    Asus P8Z77 Deluxe mobo, Intel 3770k Liquid cooled, 2 x 240 gb ssd plus 6 HDD's
    2 x GTX 670 SLI, Dell 27? 2560 x 1600, 1000watt PSU, HAF 42 case

RAM ? 32 Gb
    Asus P8Z77 Deluxe, 3770k, H2o cooled, 2 x 240 Gb ssd, GTX670 SLI, 32 Gb G Skill TridentX 2400, 6 x HDD, 1000w Gold PSU, Dell 27" 2560x1440,HAF 42 Case, a new build in progress.

In some test I ran overall sticks at 1600 CL9 averaged about 19.5 GB a sec @2133 CL8 were about 26.5 GB a sec as tested with MaxMemm

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10602

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What that motherboard and CPU, your RAM value is maximized. As you go higher in frequency, the system will fully utilize the RAM's performance. Not to say that you will need a super high performance kit, but if you do spend the money, you can rest assured that you are getting a performance better than 1600 CL9

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Wonder if the P8Z77 has the same limitation of the 2133 speed. From those figures it looks as if the 2133 is a good bet. I need to price them in comparison with the 2666. Somewhere on this planet they must be cheaper than $500.
        Cheers
        Asus P8Z77 Deluxe, 3770k, H2o cooled, 2 x 240 Gb ssd, GTX670 SLI, 32 Gb G Skill TridentX 2400, 6 x HDD, 1000w Gold PSU, Dell 27" 2560x1440,HAF 42 Case, a new build in progress.

Comment

The set I have is the Ripjaws X F3-2133C9Q-32GXH, which I can run w/ stock timings at 2200, if the ASRock BIOS was up to speed I'm confident they would run 2400....Actually had them briefly at 2400 on an ASUS Maximus iV Extreme Z

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmmmmmm, lotto numbers? you know what I'm talking about, would have to charge Xtra for that

Tman

Comment

Z77 can do much higher than DDR3-2133 (unlike SB)

That's why now we have DDR3-2400+, whereas pre-IB we did not.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well a bit more research has bought me to the conclusion that a P8Z77 deserves G Skill TridentX DDR3 2400. That should assist me to OC the system to a comfortable and less stressed level. Now I just got to wait for the order to come in 1 week......Is it here yet?....well how about now?.........waiting.....

Comment

The waiting is always the hardest........but for me it seems like business is generally slow the day or two before an order is due in, then I get slammed for a couple of days and have to stare at boxes of new components.....not sure which is worse...waiting for them to arrive or having to do other stuff before I start building..........

Tman

Comment

At least you ordered and it is on the way. It can be out of stock with a much longer wait :x

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ah yes,well..there is a problem. After a delay of, let me see, 5 days they decide I need to pay in full before they will place the order. So they have not even started the process. Honestly, can they spell customer service?
                      So how long is this wait you speak of as the supplier in Australia does not have any stock.......
                      Should have stuck with my commodore 64 tape drive computer.

Comment

Not sure exactly what GSkill Tech meant (maybe thinking they have them in stock) but if it helps any, here's a page with other suppliers Down Under, maybe one will have stock or could order quicker and with better service

http://www.gskill.com/reseller.php?c1=3&c2=27

Tman

Comment

Oh... well I thought the memory was in the mail and on the way.. apparently not.

I don't know what the wait is, the Australia supplier deals with headquarters in TW, so I don't know if item is in stock nor how long shipping will take. :/

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

And so it i done. They have the cash in their hot little hand so now I wait to see the product. Thanks for the links Tman. Nice assist.
                            Just hope I can get the voltage bug out of the new PSU, but that is not for discussion in a RAM thread.

Cheers all.

Comment

Feel free to give us a holler, I'll help if I can and I'm sure that there are others that might jump in

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X