Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL + DX79TO = unstable

Hello folks,

I've been running into some trouble trying to run a F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL kit paired with a DX79TO board and a 3930K CPU at the rated 1866MHz. PSU is a Corsair TX750V2.

Tried BIOSes 430, 460 and 494, using both XMP profiles (XMP profile 1 loads as 9-9-9-27, XMP profile 2 loads 9-10-9-28 which is the rated speed for this kit). Tried also increasing VCCSA and CPU VCC up to 1.35V, but the haunted B7 boot failure keeps randomly kicking in, followed by a watchdog timer reset and operation at 1600Mhz. Tried also setting the parameters manually and raising the memory voltage up to 1.65V, no-go.

The configuration suggested by the setup guide linked by G.Skill's product page targeted at https://docs.google.com/document/pub...mcg_5wxT3Y8S2Q also didn't help either (it is targeted at 2133MHz... O.o)

I'm sure all modules are 100% working and functional, as they were tested on other setups. I'm a system builder and I have fairly easy access to other Intel boards, CPUs and memory sets.

Any suggestions on what could be some very relaxed memory timings I could use to stabilize this system?

Fowler

At 1866 you could try 10-10-10-28 if you want to relax them a bit, or if you want to run at 1866 with the stock timings on an Intel mobo, might raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 and/or MC (memory Controller) voltage. believe it's VTT or CPUVTT on your mobo....Intel mobos don't really like fast DRAM or OCing so can be picky

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not intending to perform any additional OC either to the CPU or memories, I just want it to run as stock as possible. I know the mem controller on the 3930K states compatibility up to 1600MHz, but I thought that using memory kits with XMP would make things easier, but as it seems it's not all that simple.

I tried running them at 10-10-10-28 as you said and no good, the B7 problem still remains. Sometimes it boots fine and when it boots fine, the system itself is stable, I haven't been able to run a prime95 long run yet, but everything seems fine in shorter runs. However, it still sometimes fail to boot. It's a bit weird that when the board fails to boot at 1866 and loads in "safe mode", it states that the memories are running at 1600 11-11-11-29, which seems way relaxed even for 1600 operation.

I tried also bumping up the DRAM voltage up to 1.65V and the System Agent voltage up to 1.35V, but it seems these haven't changed anything... I mean, the B7 boot up issue stands.

Forgot to mention, I'm using 32GB (8 x 4GB) on these systems, I've got 2 complete identical setups, and they're both behaving this way.

Could it be some of the advanced DRAM timings that I'm missing?

Fowler

Comment

Could well be, might check that you have the latest BIOS...1.35 VCCSA is too high, I'd say maybe 1.25 mox. Intell mobos just don't like to run fast sticks or OC. I'll be out most of day till prob mid afternoon but will see if I can dig anything up. If you could post your DRAM settings and system voltages it might help, and GSkill Tech will prob be in later today

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

I think we might be dealing with defective firmware from Intel, which I first suspected. If either anybody out there or G.Skill tech support could try to replicate the following procedure successfully with a DX79TO, DX79SI or DX79SR board paired with more than 16GB of >1600MHz memory, would be of great help to demand Intel for newer, bug-free firmware.

To get rid of the B7 boot loop issue:

Fire up setup, go to Memory Overrides, put it in Automatic and it will assume a 11-11-11-28 configuration. Change to Manual, and then select the multiplier as 10 : 1333. Save and exit. Boot, everything works.

Enter setup again, and now select XMP-1867 (or XMP profile 2), bump up VCCSA to around 1.15V, save and exit. VOIL?. All works as expected, rock-solid @ 1866MHz!! (see attached screenshot: http://www.performanceinformatica.co...agens/1866.png)

Now to screw everything up, all it takes is to enter setup again, and change any memory parameter: Est-ce que returns the B7 boot loop drama...

Tested in f/w release 424, 430, 453, 460 and 494.

Now on to demand Intel for newer firmware! =)

Fowler

Comment

Sounds like a plan, when you contact them might also ask them to test with your combo, and for what they use in the advanced DRAM timings, had the same problems your encountering w/ a couple ASRock mobos, but once I nailed down the Advanced timings I could change voltages, multiplier, etc without an immediate freeze, crash, etc

Tman

Comment

Well, I contacted Intel support already, let's see what they can sort out, but if you have any news from Gskill Tech or other users, I'd be glad to know. I'll keep posting my findings.

Fowler

Comment

Will pass along anything I come across

Tman

Comment

Hi,

as we test the board, it could running 2133MHz with 4GB x4, but if you want to using 4GB X8, it will support up to 1600MHz only, which means 8 DIMMs couldn't over 1600MHz!! please note!

Comment

Working...
                  X