• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS M5A97 and F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT BSOD problems

Just bought 8gbs of F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT and ASUS M5A97
    Mated it with an AMD FX-6100
    OCZ ZS650 power supply

On shutdown/restart I get a blue screen everytime on WIN7 x64. If I pull one stick of ram out, and just go with 4gbs it seems fine. MemTest passes with all 8gbs installed, have tried each stick in each slot, as long as I have one stick in, it is fine.

After looking through the forums, seems AMD is way pickier than INTEL, this is my first and last AMD build.

Any suggestions? Are these compatible?

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and if not and the update doesn't correct the problem, would guess either the DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltage is low....might raise the CPU/NB + .07 and see, if still problems raise DRAM voltage + .05..........for whatever reason, doesn't seem like many do much testing on the AMD w/ 4 GB sticks........and God forbid if you had 8 GB sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah talked to ASUS and they recommended the CPU/NB bump from 1.2v to 1.3v and a couple of other memory timing changes too. 2T command rate and Read to Read at 7 most notably.

When I get home I will try both sticks and up the dimm voltage.. I even went online and ordered some G-skill sticks that came straight off the QVL for that motherboard to try, but those won't be here for a few days. Figured I could either pay about 20 bucks for return shipping/restock fees or just buy another set for 2x that. Worse comes to worse, I got some extra Ram sitting around.

Originally the new bios didn't fix the problem (actually I thought it caused it so I reverted) so I will have to try the new BIOS again for it. I am tempted to just RMA the motherboard and grab a Gigabyte one, never had any problems with memory and Gigabyte boards before, this is my first time trying an ASUS after always hearing such good things about them.

Comment

Keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Still no luck.

They had me try these timings:

CAS 9
          RAS to CAS 9
          RAS PRE 9
          RAS ACT 24
          READ to PRE 5
          RAS to RAS 7
          WRITE to READ 7
          CAS write latency 7
          Write recovery 10
          Ref Cycle 300ns
          Row Cycle 33
          Read to Write 7
          Write to Read 4
          WRITE to WRITE 7
          READ to READ 7
          DRAM Refresh 7.8ms
          Command 2T

with CPU/NB @ 1.3v, I even bumped the sticks up to 1.6v to see if that helped at all. Still getting BSOD, thinking I may just order another motherboard, have never had these types of problems with Gigabyte boards.

Comment

Those don't look to good to me, I'll see if GSkill can chime in and take a look today

Tman

Comment

I personally would of thought if we were going to back off on timings we would of taken the CAS latency to 11, isn't that the usual major one that really affects everything?

I'm still not sold that it's the ram myself, memtest passes fine. It is just weird though that 1 stick seemed to be fine, and 2 sticks caused the BSOD.

I actually put in for an RMA of the motherboard today, and ordered a different Northbridge AMD board from Amazon, there return policy is a bit more lenient on returns, plus the new board has more SATA ports!!!

Also have another 8gb G Skill pack coming that is listed directly on the ASUS QVL list... for all I know it could even be a processor issue.

I did however get another ASUS board for the moment, the 1stars I saw on the Gigabyte boards looked more troubling than the 1 star DOAs from ASUS. Will probably be my only AMD build ever though, never had problems with Intel's at all over a dozen builds, besides the random DOA hardware you might get.
              Last edited by dlang; 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Well, if swapping out take a look at the current mobo and check for thermal compound on bottom of CPU and check socket for bent/broken pins, that could be an issue also.....on the new mobo, can never have enough SATA ports! And I agree about the Intel/AMD issue, I build a fair amount of systems, but basically quit new AMD builds some years back, IMO they don't put enough money into R&D, especially the MC (Memory Controller) in their efforts to keep prices down, but you look at them now the newest FX-8150 can barely handle 2 sticks of 1866 (8GB) while Intel has a number of CPUs that OC better, cost less, and can easily run 4 sticks of 2133-2800 and up to 32GB

Tman

Comment

So just a side note: got the new mobo today, and rma'd the old one (accidentally sent in a pack of screws from the new case with it too.. oh no!!), both are ASUS but this one is a slightly higher model with a different Northbridge...

So starting up the exact same install where I couldn't even get in anymore because of the BSOD, starts up perfect so far.. about to do a reinstall anyhow to make sure any nasty drivers get out. So definitely looks so far like it was a bad motherboard/compatibility.

But GSKILL did post on my newegg review this:

. First, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. If you continue to have an issue, send the memory in to exchange for the G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT. This model should work better for your particular motherboard.

So instead of the M5a97 I have a M5a99x evo.. should I Still swap out the F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT for the F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT? I should be getting a set of Ripjaws in the next day or two as well (Might as well just keep them and try to get 16gbs running, I don't need it, but RMA cost just makes me go bleh).

Suggestions?

Comment

If nothing else I'd give it/them a try, have 30 days through the Egg, keep us posted on the results, I'm in the process of starting three builds (one for me) but I'll still be hopping in and out and hopefully GSkill Tech will pop in Thur

Tman

Comment

let us know if you have any other problem, we will solving with you as soon as we can.

Comment

So I got another blue screen on the new MOBO today, but then I changed the memory timings to be a 2T command rate from the 1T that it detects and now it seems to be stable for the moment. What are the official timings on this ram?

Installing some stuff to see if I get anymore BSODS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          If nothing else I'd give it/them a try, have 30 days through the Egg, keep us posted on the results, I'm in the process of starting three builds (one for me) but I'll still be hopping in and out and hopefully GSkill Tech will pop in Thur
                          IvyBridge time?

Comment

And there it is

Another BSOD while doing windows updates. Extremely frustrating.

Comment

Timings will always be on the memory and packaging.

The memory kit should be plug and play, so it may be a compatibility issue.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X