X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to exceed 1600 Mhz: GA-P67A-UD4-B3 with F3-2133C9D-16GXH

Hopefully there is a solution to this issue:

Please tell us the details of your system specifications

Model of the motherboard: GA-P67A-UD4-B3 (F7 BIOS)
    Model of the memory: F3-2133C9D-16GXH
    Model of the CPU: i7 2600K

What is the problem? example: no boot, blue screen, reboot...etc.
    I can't seem to get the my RAM to exceed 1600Mhz, when it's rated at 2133Mhz. I've updated my BIOS to the most current revision, manually set the timings/voltage to G.Skill Specs and turned off XMP.

If I configure anything higher than 1600Mhz for the ram, the BIOS will not post until it has reverted back to 1333Mhz.

The system has been stable for a year with two sets of F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL, but I wanted more memory. So, not wanting to limit myself with a motherboard claiming 32GB capacity, I chose to get a 16GB dual channel kit.

The motherboard compatibility listing for the F3-2133C9D-16GXH kit lists the GA-P67A-UD5-B3 motherboard as being compatible and there is very little difference between the UD4 and UD5, so it seems probable that there is a way for me to get this working.

Tonight I plan on trying other BIOS revisions/settings.

Thanks!

Reseat the sticks in proper slots firmly. Have you tried w/ XMP on? Set mobo to defaults, enable XMP, select Profile 1. If setting manually, 9-11-11-30, 2T, 1.6, and will want VCCIO up to about 1.12 - 1.14 (MC (memory controller voltage), also will require a CPU OC, suggest setting the multiplier to 43-44 or so to start, then if stable, can raise or lower.

Might also check the socket for bent/broken pins, dust, thermal compound (any of which can affect the MC)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay, so here's the latest:

I removed the memory, inspected the sockets, they appear to be quite clean, with no broken/bent pins. I swapped the modules to slots 2 and 4, just to see if it made a difference. It didn't appear to, but I can't be sure because I did make some progress with BIOS settings! I flashed the BIOS to the previous F6 revision, because I had read that that's the best for this sort of thing.

I was able to clock the memory at 1866Mhz by doing the following:
      Load Fail-Safe defaults in the BIOS
      set the clock speed multiplier to 43 (4.3ghz)
      set the ram voltage to 1.64 volts
      and set the ram multiplier to 18.66
      answer yes to CPU enhance
      save settings and exit

and it actually posted.

I couldn't accomplish the same thing using a multiplier of 21.33.

I did notice that the timings were more aggressive than what the ram is actually supposed to use. So I'm worried that my mobo is trying to run smaller timings and that's why I can't get the 2133Mhz setting to work.

Here are some pics if my BIOS Settings. I think I'm pretty close, I'm just not sure what else I could do to ensure that the timings I specify are actually used. I have no way of knowing if my doubts about the RAM timings have any significance, because it doesn't post for me to see what it's trying to do...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1026684...83512808318258

Comment

Also, I read in another post that running two different sets of memory, even if they're the same model can cause complications. If I'm unable to obtain the 2133Mhz with this ram, I may RMA it. I was considering a 4 piece set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...PC3%2017000%29

If I do choose to go that route, what is the difference between these sets? Ripjaw X and Ripjaw Z? I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Yes mixing sets can, of the Z and X, the Z is designed for the newer 2011 socket and is backward compatible to your mobo using Profile 2 (XMP 1.2 compatible), Profile 1 is native XMP1.3 for the X79 chipset/2011 socket

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X