• F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL - Gigabyte GAZ68X-UD3H-B3

Built a system with this configuration a week ago:

Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3
    Processor - i5 2500K
    Primary HD - Vertex 3 120GB
    SATA controller - AHCI
    G.Skill RipjawsX F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL
    Graphics - Ati HD 5770 (my old card)
    Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 (which unfortunately blocks my DDR3 Channel 4 with this memory)
    OS - Win 7 64bit

Initially was having following problems with RAM:

1 - couldn't install in dual channel configuration - got the infamous 'boot loop' - no POST, just continually restarting.

2 - would only run in 1600Mhz - the minute I set XMP to Profiles 1 or 2, the POST would fail and it would revert to original settings.

Board came with BIOS f10; subsequently installed f11i which made no difference. Now, however, have installed f11j - and can run my G.Skill at 2133Mhz as intended. Great improvement, system feels much snappier and a couple of seconds have come off the cold boot time.

However, still can't run in dual channel mode. Hoping for a new BIOS fix for this - but if you have any tips / tricks that might get this working would love to hear them...

Forgot to mention

Still running the processor at stock speed - CPU temp 30 C.

Hoping to OC once have got everything running properly...

Comment

Have you tried the other slots, i.e. if trying in slots 1-3 ( from CPU) did you try 2-4 instead?
      Last edited by Tradesman; 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Dual channel problem

Thanks for coming back... Unfortunately I can't! My cpu cooler blocks slot 4 (wish I'd known, would have bought Ares... )

Comment

Not sure what cooler you have, but many can be oriented to a different direction, if the problem is a fan overhanging that is set to pull, you can oftten put it on the other side in a push orientation, some you adjust the fan height...or could revert to the stock cooler to check the slots

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, I will try this; might be a while before I have the time though...

Thanks and will repost once I've tried.

Olie.

Comment

We'll be around

Tman

Comment

Good news - I have been able to turn the cooler around, though I had to trim some plastic off outer edge of the fan housing to do so in order to get the fan to sit about 5mm higher on the cooler.

And, since I'd taken the cooler off, I decided to check the cpu since I'd read that bent pins on the socket could cause the problem of RAM not working in dual channel mode. Good job I did, because there were about 5 bent pins. I don't know what went wrong 'cos I was V V careful when I did the build, but anyway, I managed to bend the pins back into shape (phew....)

I now have my RAM operating in dual channel mode and at 2133MHz. My RAM score on Windows Experience has gone from 7.5 to 7.9. SWEET.

Thanks for your help with this issue!

Olie.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well, 2133 is very sweet, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X