F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM ASUS P8Z68-V intermittent memory issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM ASUS P8Z68-V intermittent memory issues

I just built a new system for my son. It's an ASUS P8Z68-V board, Intel I5-2500K processor and one set of G. Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM. I'm seeing an odd issue, but hopefully this is something you guys have seen before. After putting the hardware together, before installing the OS - I ran Memtest86+ 4.20 just to make sure things were looking good so far. Immediately got 100's of errors. Reseated the memory and ran Memtest again - this time no errors and after several hours of testing stopped it with no errors. Assumed it was just a bad memory seat.
    Loaded the OS, no issues and handed the PC off to my son. He played games on it for several hours and it ran great. Next day he complained of programs crashing and a BSOD. Said he turned it off and rebooted and it ran great the rest of the day. I looked at the BSOD and the other errors in the logs and they all pointed to memory corruption. I ran Memtest again for about 2 hours and ran Prime95 for about 3 hours - no problems.
    Booted the PC this morning and got app crashes - all pointing to memory problems. I did a restart from Windows (warm boot) and booted of my Memtest CD and immediately started getting errors. Powered off the PC and cold booted to Memtest - no erros.
    I have tested with BIOS at auto on the memory settings and have tested with manually setting memory speed and voltage - both yield sporadic issues.
    Whatever the problem is appears to be something at the time of a cold boot. Depending on the boot - it either works flawlessly or has memory issues. I just upgraded the BIOS to the current 0902 code and I have enabled XMP for the 1600 speed and I am running Memtest again - no errors yet - but it could be I got a "good" boot this time.
    I hate these intermittent issues ? but is this something anyone has seen before? Does it sound more like just fine tuning a setting or seem to be more of a real hardware issue? If it isn?t an obvious issue, I?ll go through the process of testing each stick individually ? I also have another set of this memory in another system I can test with. Just seems like if the memory was bad ? it would always throw errors, not just on random cold boots.
    Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

If you just updated the BIOS and currently are running under XMP, then the BIOS may have been the issue, if problems reappear, I'd try running the other sticks, if no problems with them, go ahead and RMA the new sticks, if same problems persist with the other sticks, would guess it may be a voltage issue (poss raise DRAM voltage slightly) or may be a problem w/ the mobo.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, Tradesman. I know I was jumping the gun a bit in posting. I travel a LOT and happened to be home this week, so I'm trying to get a handle on the issue before I head out again. I've definitely got a gameplan on further testing/troubleshooting. I'll update the post in a few days depending on the outcome. Was just curious if this was a well known symptom or just the usual fun and games that comes with building a PC.

Comment

The regular fun and games, most of the Z68 mobos are getting stable with their BIOSs but with new DRAM coming out every day (it seems) they are both playing catchup on that as well as putting more resources towards the BIOS of newer mobos (X79 and CPUs, both Intel and the AMD ones)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just a quick update on this issue. BIOS upgrade didn't resolve the issue so I popped in the other set of identical memory that I had on hand and the PC has been completely stable now for two weeks. Looks like it was the memory. I was still within my 30 days from the retailer, so I was able to get a replacement.

Comment

Sorry to hear you got a bad set, but glad to hear the issue is resolved, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

No worries on the bad set. Now me and both my boys are up on new hardware - let the games begin!

Comment

To the victor the spoils!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X