Sabertooth 990FX & AMD FX8150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabertooth 990FX & AMD FX8150

Hi there! I am having a problem with my G-Skill ram. I bought 16Gb default clock is 1600 MHz

But I cant get it passed 800 MHZ ? I have tried all kinds of things and no luck. My Mobo says it is running @ 1600 mHz but when I run CPU-z or AIAD64 it says 800 MHz.

My system

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Processor: OctalCore AMD FX-8150, 3600 MHz (18 x 200) (Bulldozer)

Memory: DIMM1: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
    DIMM2: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
    DIMM3: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
    DIMM4: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL

Graphics card: HD 5870

Bios Settings are back to default! and is current.
    Last edited by lil-bit; 01-12-2012, 04:29 AM. Reason: added more info

Your memory is running correct. AMD runs the DRAM with a x2 multiplier making your memory run at 1600 so if it's set in the bios at 800 then it's correct. 800 x 2= 1600. Sorry but this is the best I can explain it. Hope it helps.
    Asus M4A785T-M
    AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
    Corsair H60 Watercooler
    8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
    Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
    2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
    500GB Seagate Storage
    1.5TB Seagate Storage
    2.0TB Seagate Storage
    BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
    PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
    Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Correct and very well, the true freq is 800, but it is DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by lil-bit View Post
        Hi there! I am having a problem with my G-Skill ram. I bought 16Gb default clock is 1600 MHz

But I cant get it passed 800 MHZ ? I have tried all kinds of things and no luck. My Mobo says it is running @ 1600 mHz but when I run CPU-z or AIAD64 it says 800 MHz.

My system

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Processor: OctalCore AMD FX-8150, 3600 MHz (18 x 200) (Bulldozer)

Memory: DIMM1: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
        DIMM2: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
        DIMM3: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
        DIMM4: G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL

Graphics card: HD 5870

Bios Settings are back to default! and is current.
        What do you think of this MB and CPU combo? I have read that the bulldozer core is slower than the Phenom II. Your thoughts on performance. I have been reading up on the Sabertooth 990FX and was thing of it for my next build but both MB and CPU have mixed reviews. I have a Asus M4A785 now with an AMD PII 955 BE and it works great for gaming and there isnt a game I cant play but I want to update my system and Im trying to get more info. Thx
        Asus M4A785T-M
        Corsair H60 Watercooler
        2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
        500GB Seagate Storage
        1.5TB Seagate Storage
        2.0TB Seagate Storage
        PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
        Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Tazzyez View Post
          Your memory is running correct. AMD runs the DRAM with a x2 multiplier making your memory run at 1600 so if it's set in the bios at 800 then it's correct. 800 x 2= 1600. Sorry but this is the best I can explain it. Hope it helps.
          Yes thank you very much for the reply. I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to memory and it makes sense the way you explained it. I feel a lot better now. And thanks to Tradesman as well

As far as the combo is concerned I am happy sort of. The thing is Microsoft dropped the ball on preparing for the bulldozer, The OS cannot tap into the true performance the bulldozer so we cant really judge the bulldozer so quickly. Microsoft did release a patch to fix this issue but the patch was supposed to be released with a second patch as well "but it wasn't" and people were actually getter worse performance out of the cpu. microsoft has since removed the update and its a good thing it was an update you actually had to go and get yourself. They say window 8 will be ready for the new chip and the developer preview already is said to present a 20% increase to the bulldozer and we can expect more when windows 8 is fully released. As far as the phenom 2 is concerned I haven't seen this 8 core perform any less than the Phenom, You have to keep in mind although we cant get the full performance out of the bulldozer I still have 4 more cores then I did when I had the phenom 2x4 black edition and most of the software cant max out my cpu 20 to 40 % is the most I see the CPU stress when rendering in After effects or Corel video studio, I did max it out when I ran cinibech and I actually beat some of the I7's score but I think I had overclocked to 4.0 @ the time. I say Wait for the release of win 8 or for a patch to come for win7, also new generation of the bulldozer is said to be coming this year. BTW AMD and Intel aren't targeting the same type of people, AMD is more of a budget/affordable product and this chip was under $300 8 cores under $300 sounds nice huh?
          Last edited by lil-bit; 01-12-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Glad I could help
            Asus M4A785T-M
            Corsair H60 Watercooler
            2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
            500GB Seagate Storage
            1.5TB Seagate Storage
            2.0TB Seagate Storage
            Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

You can download the Win 8 Beta, and run it alongside Win 7 or Vista in a Dual Boot config.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                You can download the Win 8 Beta, and run it alongside Win 7 or Vista in a Dual Boot config.
                Yes, and its fee to I had it installed a while back and I found it quite quick but at the same time it wasn't loaded with software and i was running it off a normal sata and not my SSD, I used it to build a windows 7 (test) and i like i said I wasn't running any major software so I didn't really put it through to much stress, I should have run some benchmarks huh. And I am not sure I like the layout of win 8, it seems you have to do more clicking to get to where you want to go but its worth a look for anyone interested. On a side note I had 2 windows 7's plus the windows 8 and I was getting the feeling my pc wasn't happy with all of it so I nuked 2 of the os's.

Comment

Having been doing beta testing for Win back to 95/NT days, I'll admit this is prob the most radical change, though I'm not a big fan of it...I might change my opinion if I can justify to myself investing in a large touch screen, but rather than put out 1 to 2 grand for the screen I'd rather put that kind of money into more powerful hardware and stick with a two large screen set up, and mouse where productivity is higher and more comfortable to work with. For many, I think it may be a good system, but in a high production environment I find it on the clumsy side

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by lil-bit View Post
                    Yes thank you very much for the reply. I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to memory and it makes sense the way you explained it. I feel a lot better now. And thanks to Tradesman as well

As far as the combo is concerned I am happy sort of. The thing is Microsoft dropped the ball on preparing for the bulldozer, The OS cannot tap into the true performance the bulldozer so we cant really judge the bulldozer so quickly. Microsoft did release a patch to fix this issue but the patch was supposed to be released with a second patch as well "but it wasn't" and people were actually getter worse performance out of the cpu. microsoft has since removed the update and its a good thing it was an update you actually had to go and get yourself. They say window 8 will be ready for the new chip and the developer preview already is said to present a 20% increase to the bulldozer and we can expect more when windows 8 is fully released. As far as the phenom 2 is concerned I haven't seen this 8 core perform any less than the Phenom, You have to keep in mind although we cant get the full performance out of the bulldozer I still have 4 more cores then I did when I had the phenom 2x4 black edition and most of the software cant max out my cpu 20 to 40 % is the most I see the CPU stress when rendering in After effects or Corel video studio, I did max it out when I ran cinibech and I actually beat some of the I7's score but I think I had overclocked to 4.0 @ the time. I say Wait for the release of win 8 or for a patch to come for win7, also new generation of the bulldozer is said to be coming this year. BTW AMD and Intel aren't targeting the same type of people, AMD is more of a budget/affordable product and this chip was under $300 8 cores under $300 sounds nice huh?
                    I agree I tried the beta of win8 and it was very snappy but I myself am not buying a high dollar touch screen just to get the full benefit of it. I've seen reviews of the bulldozer core and they have been mixed. I'm a gamer and do a lot of video encoding so looking for pure power. I've also been an AMD fan for many years based on price. I was curious about the combo cause I have an Asus MB now and was going to move up to the new class of MB in my upcoming build. I have seen some bad reviews in the Sabertooth line and was not sure. My current MB is a M4A785T-M and has been awesome, one of the best MB I've ever owned.
                    Asus M4A785T-M
                    Corsair H60 Watercooler
                    2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                    500GB Seagate Storage
                    1.5TB Seagate Storage
                    2.0TB Seagate Storage
                    Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Yep &amp; this just in

Yes the windows 8 is defenetly going to be a toutchscreen first platform, We Can stick with windows 7 or change to linux I suppose And I just reformated and tested the new updates for the bulldozzer (yes They are available) I ran cinebench before any MS updates, then after MS and driver updates then after after the first Bulldozer Hotfix and finally after the second Bulldozer Hotfix. Best results after both Bulldozer updates and the worst score I had was when only the first patch was installed, I also beat the two I7's that were in the ranking board and I did no overclocking what so ever. So maybe buying the combo was infact a great choice especially with my New 16 GB of G-skill ram @ 1600MHz

Bulldozer patch 1 KB2645594: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

Bulldozer Patch 2 KB2646060: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
                      Last edited by lil-bit; 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                        Having been doing beta testing for Win back to 95/NT days, I'll admit this is prob the most radical change, though I'm not a big fan of it...I might change my opinion if I can justify to myself investing in a large touch screen, but rather than put out 1 to 2 grand for the screen I'd rather put that kind of money into more powerful hardware and stick with a two large screen set up, and mouse where productivity is higher and more comfortable to work with. For many, I think it may be a good system, but in a high production environment I find it on the clumsy side
                        I'm with you on that one, Money can be better spend on good hardware rather then being forced to buy a touch screen, like what are they thinking ? I know They have to compete with mac and stay up to date with technology but the OS should never have been made a toutch screen first platform, not till toutch screen has become the norm at least. Its just to early for this I think.

Comment

I think they are trying to follow the phone/tablet craze as the pundits are predicting the decline of the PC, which I believe yet to be a long time coming

Tman

Comment

yeah they seem to be following the phone/tablet craze but the thing is, a PC is more then what they are, I mean I would never work on spreadsheets on smaller devices nor would I work on video editing on them, A PC's hardware is more powerful and in my mind more reliable, you can change any thing you want inside a case of a Desktop. Desktop computer are also a true workstation, We will see more drop on desktop compter sales but there is still a large number of people who will need the desktop PC. Video editors, Graphics Designers, Engineers, And people who just want a true workstation, I dont think the Desktop will ever realy die, but the majoity of people dont realy need one so they get a laptop or a tablet and thats just thee way it is. Its going to be an interesting next few years as tablets and laptops continue to grow, and we will see if its just how important a desktop is. I like having true backups on my desktop backups on a seprate dive I can access at any time with out having to find the right external to plug in, and we all know how sensitive external HDDs are. So any way thats my take on the tablet craze

Comment

Originally posted by Tazzyez View Post
                              I agree I tried the beta of win8 and it was very snappy but I myself am not buying a high dollar touch screen just to get the full benefit of it. I've seen reviews of the bulldozer core and they have been mixed. I'm a gamer and do a lot of video encoding so looking for pure power. I've also been an AMD fan for many years based on price. I was curious about the combo cause I have an Asus MB now and was going to move up to the new class of MB in my upcoming build. I have seen some bad reviews in the Sabertooth line and was not sure. My current MB is a M4A785T-M and has been awesome, one of the best MB I've ever owned.
                              Well Asus does build a nice MB as far as the Sabertooth, I am not sure what bad things you have heard, the only dissapointing thing I have seen so far is that overclocking isnt that great with this board for me, I am not an "Overclocker" but i do like to play around a bit and I just cant push this chip very far. I also know that if your a real over clocker you might want to look at a gigabyte board, famous for overclocking. and I did hear that the higher end of the amd asus board was much better for overclocking. I do know The Sabertooth for me has been great in all other areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X