F3-10666cl7q-16gbxh / ga-z68x-ud3h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666cl7q-16gbxh / ga-z68x-ud3h

Hello! I left a review on newegg.com and was told to come check out the forums for some tips to help get the most performance from the F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH kit I purchased. I tried looking up my memory model and motherboard, but I didn't get helpful results, so I made this thread.

My current setup:
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz 1.260V
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H - F10 BIOS
    F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH running @ 7-7-7-21 1.512V

I was happy to see the tight timings working with no problem. Looking to overclock, I went ahead and did a few simple memtest86+ runs to make sure everything was up and running. Had a few errors that were fixed by increasing the VCCIO voltage from 1.05V to 1.10V (+0.05).

The timings scale: I get 1600 CL9, and 1866 CL10 with no errors.

Now, the only issue is I can't get my system to boot at 2133 no matter what I try. Also, I haven't been able to tighten my timings at 1866 to anything under 10-10-10-30. 1600 CL8 causes the motherboard speaker to continuously beep and never boots.

Tweaking the DRAM voltage hasn't helped. I've been having the same luck at 1.5V, trying up to 1.65V, but to no avail. Hoping someone here can shed some knowledge/advice

Thanks in advance!

What you've done so far is very good, but it's basically going to be experimentation from here out.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

11-11-11-30 or 11-12-11-30 for DDR3-2133? You just have to keep trying timings @ 1.65V to see what your kit can do.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Neither worked. Seems like either this full kit can't do 2133Mhz :/ or some can?
        I'm assuming if I were to only use 2 DIMM slots I'd be able to probably get up there without stressing the motherboard/CPU as much.

Still no luck in tightening 1600/1866 either. Keep getting errors in memtest86+ in test 7 somewhere between 8GB-12GB+ leading me to believe it might just be a specific module not being able to keep up. Considering switching it up and seeing if I get more errors at a different reference point and if its worth taking 2 sticks out.

I take it 1.65V is a safe OC "standard" as in, if it *can* do it, it should be doing it at 1.65V, right? Tightening timings is a little trickier. How do I go about it? Start high, and trim until it doesn't boot? Start a little low and boost voltage somewhere to stablize? Thanks again for the replies!

Comment

There's no guarantee it's possible. You might well reached the limit of the memory chips with 1866 CL10. Otherwise they would all make the rams with those same chips and just brand them higher
          This cat scratches free.
          Intel i5 2500k @ 4ghz Offset - 0.015v | Asus P8P67 EVO | 12gb GSkill RipjawsX F3-14900CL8D-4GBXM 2x2gb & F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb 1866 9-10-9-28@1.6v | AMD HD6850 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) | 2xWD500 Caviar Black & Blue | CM Haf-912 Advanced | Noctua NH-U12P SE + Akasa 12cm Viper | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | AMD Catalyst 13.10b

Comment

VCCIO may need to go up, but as with what Catscratch stated, you may have reached limits.

Instead of 4 modules, try 2 at a time first to see what they can boot @ DDR3-2133, then that gives you a better idea of where your limits are.

You are right, 1.65V is the standard safe OC voltage for DDR3.

tCL is most important

tRCD scales with max frequency, generally one number higher than tCL above

tRP is generally same as tCL or one lower

tRAS is roughly the three numbers above added together. This values affects stability, so don't worry about it being high. It will not affect max performance too much.

So in any case, the ideal goal is to achieve the lowest stable timings, for each value.

Notice the timings we have for the extreme kits, those are some timings you can try.

You can boost DRAM Voltage and VCCIO Voltage to see if they help.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi R4VR,

I got the same memory you got. I was not able to get it past 1666. Can you help me with getting it to 1866. What are the settings that you are using? I would like to give it a try.

Thanks

Zirconc

Comment

Nice choice! These haven't had a single problem and overclocking was such a joy. I'll see what I can help you with so you too can enjoy the potential in this kit. As you may know, not all kits are the same so YMMV.

Hmmm what are your system specs?

I was testing my memory with memtest86+ installed on a USB thumb drive. Not sure if you use something else, but it was definitely helpful. It tests all the memory, unlike testing while in Windows (assuming you're running windows) where some memory can't be accessed/checked.

At stock voltage (1.5V), I tested the entire kit @ 1333 7-7-7-21 -passed, 1600 8-8-8-24 -failed, 1600 9-9-9-24 -passed, 1866 10-10-10-30 passed.

While attempting to get to 1866, I had an issue with getting my computer to even start or having errors during the test. What helped me here was getting back into my BIOS and adjusting my CPUs VCCIO voltage from 1.05V to 1.10V. VCCIO is also listed as QTI, VTT, or IMC just in case your BIOS calls it differently. After that, it worked. Tested with no errors several times. Didn't have to touch the DRAM voltage at all nice and coool.

Again, your specs would be helpful. Let me know what you've tried timing wise and voltage to see where you're coming from.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info. I will have to try it when I got time. Right now, this is what I got:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10328

I have asked in the forum but was not able to get pass the 1666MHZ mark.

Comment

Keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I see you're using an AMD set-up. Sadly, I am not too familiar with AMD systems.

I'd say raise the VDDNB to 1.10V since I do believe that would be the corresponding voltage for handling higher frequency. After that, I'd say loosen up your main timings 1 to 2 values and see if it boots.

I was surprised to see that at 1333, it benefits the CPU more having tighter timings. Loosening the timings and upping the frequency will give you more memory bandwidth, but at that point you generally start to benefit more from overclocking your CPU to handle higher the through-put.

You might have reached your limit at 1666 which isn't bad at all. Try increasing your DRAM to 1.65V to see if it helps.

If not, try tightening your timings at 1666 at 1.65V and see if you can find something stable.

If all fails, stick to stock. 1333 CL7 will generally perform better than 1600 CL9. Going higher makes more sense if you're running memory intensive applications/large files.

Looking forward to see what you can do!

Comment

Working...
                      X