Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I install two memory kits? (Asus x79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe it's called ROM (Research Overload Mania) not to be confused with ROM (Read Only Memory), and ASUS has a couple of documents on their X79 mobos and DRAM set up - they have a document on Memory in quad for X79 that states;

"4 DIMMs: Supports four (4) modules inserted into four blue slots(P9X79 series) / beige
    slots(TUF series) / red slots(ROG series) as two pairs of Quad-channel
    memory configuration."

which can be confusing due to the 'two pairs'

whereas in your manual on page 2-13 as you mention, it states:

"4 DIMMs: Supports four (4) modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one DIMM per channel for Quad-channel memory configuration.We suggest that you install the modules into slots A1/B1/C1/D1 for better compatibility."

which simply means Quad channel configuration, where as with the 8 sticks you have:

"8 DIMMs: Supports eight (8) modules inserted into all the blue and black slots as full-loading of Quad-channel memory configuration"

Which basically means the max quad config, with my word of max meaning all slots are filled, what can be surprising is that with 4 sticks you might see a higher bandwidth (slightly) than you see with 8 sticks, since 8 will put more strain on the MC, same thing happens with DUAL and Tri channel mobos.

Their descriptions and what they are trying to say is often lacking as it is often translated by different people in their documentation shops and different folks translate differently.

In basic English the MC (Memory Controller) in the 2011 socket CPUs can handle up to four channels of DRAM, (say A, B, C, and D) each channels can accommodate 2 sticks of DRAM. In single channel mode the DRAM is handled in 64 bit chunks, dual is in 128, tri in 192 and quad in 256 bit chunks. The second slot of each channel is to add additional memory to that channel.

or on say a dual channel board you have channel A (1 & 2) and B (1 & 2). if only in A1 = single channel 64 bit or A1 and B1 = dual channel 128 bit opeeration....but if you put the two sticks in A1 and A2 you still have two sticks but they are both work in 64 bit mode.

I may still have the original data sheets from Intel as to how the architecture is laid out with 8 slot mobos got the X79, if I can find them I'll let you know (though to be honest, I've prob already tossed them, that was from a while ago)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm leaning toward Asus' Extreme Rampage x79 due to all of the overclocking abilities and extra features it has. I feel they must be able to successfully accomplish 2133 or 2400 on all 8 dimm slots being fully loaded with that kind of price tag. I think the 3930k (revision C2) may be back in stock, and if so, I will be purchasing those components really soon. Probably within the next 12-48 hours if my source was correct and if they're not all sold out again.

So, if I can just get a confirmation and a list of numbers displayed to me from one of your engineers on the recommended settings for the DDR3 bundles that I ordered, I will be a happy camper.

TM

Comment

Dropped them a message, hopefully they'll be available here today, in the meantime, for the Extreme Rampage, the 4 and 8sticks sets mentioned earlier are qualified with the mobo, the entire list of sticks is here

http://www.gskill.com/configurator2....d=2&model=1348

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just input the basic memory settings, along with boosting the VCCSA Voltage, and the motherboard can detect the rest of the settings such as advanced timings.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Just input the basic memory settings, along with boosting the VCCSA Voltage, and the motherboard can detect the rest of the settings such as advanced timings.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Wow, talk about "timing." I checked the mailbox right about 2pm today and guess what was there? Yup, you guessed it. Now I'm waiting for the cpu and motherboard. Apparently the CPU is still OUT OF STOCK, so, no telling how long I will be waiting for that. At least I can admire the ram package until the rest of the stuff gets here. Oh look, it comes with a free G.SKILL sticker! Cool!

Ok, about those settings... Voltage sounds scary, so I obviously want to make sure the increments are correct and not overkill. What is the recommended setting for the VCCSA overclock field? Tman mentioned something about a "tRFC," is this not needed now?

When you say "motherboard," do you mean any x79 motherboard on the QVL list or the one I'm leaning toward purchasing that is qualified and certified for 2133mhz on a fully loaded 8 dimm socket system?

Thanks,
            TM

Comment

tRFC is one of the advanced timings, I used it as an example of the different timings that that will change with the number of sticks used, it should automatically be adjusted by the BIOS when XMP isn't used. On the VCCSA can try raising it in small increments, say + .02 at a time, till stable. Believe they are referring to the mobo you selected AND all others they have tested the DRAM with that passed their testing.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                tRFC is one of the advanced timings, I used it as an example of the different timings that that will change with the number of sticks used, it should automatically be adjusted by the BIOS when XMP isn't used. On the VCCSA can try raising it in small increments, say + .02 at a time, till stable. Believe they are referring to the mobo you selected AND all others they have tested the DRAM with that passed their testing.

Ok. I'll believe, too. Rampage it is. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to let you know how the build went. Thank you so much for the help, Tman.

TM

Comment

Any of the motherboards on the G.Skill QVL list will be capable of automatically choosing advanced timings. VCCSA will need to be around 1.20V-1.25V.

tRFC is one of the advanced timings that should detect on its own.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by Terminal Meltdown View Post
                  Wow, talk about "timing." I checked the mailbox right about 2pm today and guess what was there? Yup, you guessed it. Now I'm waiting for the cpu and motherboard. Apparently the CPU is still OUT OF STOCK, so, no telling how long I will be waiting for that. At least I can admire the ram package until the rest of the stuff gets here. Oh look, it comes with a free G.SKILL sticker! Cool!

Ok, about those settings... Voltage sounds scary, so I obviously want to make sure the increments are correct and not overkill. What is the recommended setting for the VCCSA overclock field? Tman mentioned something about a "tRFC," is this not needed now?

When you say "motherboard," do you mean any x79 motherboard on the QVL list or the one I'm leaning toward purchasing that is qualified and certified for 2133mhz on a fully loaded 8 dimm socket system?

Thanks,
                  TM

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

I finally got my video card so here’s an update on using two sets of memory sticks.

I did as you directed and installed one set and recorded all the timing and voltage info for XMP #2, then I did the same for the second set. Primary, secondary and tertiary timings were identical and other settings had only minor discrepancies. So I installed both sets with XMP #2 making no changes and they boot up just fine, all memory modules recognized at 2133.

I am probably fortunate that all eight module’s serial numbers are sequential! I guess I can move forward now with the OS install and see if the processor will OC and the system remain stable.

Again, thanks for all your help,
                    Tom

Comment

Sounds good, glad to hear it worked out, keep us informed

Tman

Comment

Hi again:

I meant to reply back sooner. My email alert just went off on this forum, so I said now is a good time to reply. Everything has been stable like a rock @2133. My new GTX 680 video card came in a couple of days ago. Not only that, but the CPU overclocks @ 5.0ghz like a champ. Here's a couple pics of my build:

Everything has been great so far. No problems. Thanks so much for the assistance and excellent memory. G.Skill is my new number one memory dealer

Comment

What can I say but ..................... SWEET! Keep us informed of changes, updates, etc if you will.....Love the monster builds!

Tman

Comment

Greetings to all! I wanted to update everyone with this build, I still use this machine every day! Though, yesterday, my beloved Ripsaw Z ram started to crap out on me. I've narrowed it down to two which had apparently been running in tripple channel mode instead of quad when I noticed the machine running with only 24GB of ram instead of 32GB. I pulled a few sticks to get up and running stable again and upon closer inspection most of the heatsinks don't even touch dram and are just plain loose.

As for brands failure rate for this build, Corsair has been the worst, I've been through 2 1200 watts power supplies, DEAD, and a cpu cooler from them. ASUS , Intel and Gskill has stood the test of time of a full decade of service without fail and still going! I'm impressed and will be using Gskill again for my next build. It's been an incredible run after all these years though.

Not sure if warranty still exists on this product, but I'll see anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X