Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Ripjaw 2x2GB 1333 kits (8GB) on MSI x48c? Voltages? Speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Ripjaw 2x2GB 1333 kits (8GB) on MSI x48c? Voltages? Speeds?

Guys!

I am on an MSI x48c Platinum (DDR2/DDR3 Combo) with a Q9400. I am already using the following kit:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH

I need to ask if I go for another kit (the exact same stuff), and total an 8GB on 4 sticks (all DIMMS full), is it okay? (Yes, my board supports a total of 8GB. I must highlight that I installed a Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600 kit. It didn't boot. Maybe this board does not allocate 4GB to a single stick. Maybe it was the 1600 problem, since I still don't trust this board runs DDR3 1600 hassle-free. It does run DDR3 1066/1333 easy though).

System compatibility? Stability? Pressure on on-board RAM controller? Overclocking?

Another additional query: My board has Intel XMP. When I turn it on, there's AUTO (which sets RAM to 1600) and ADVANCED (where I manually keep it to 1333). Is 1600 okay for this RAM? If not, what is the max OC I can get with this kit, and what voltages should I max this out on (plus, what timings should I keep at these different speeds)?

Thanks a bunch already!
    Last edited by mr.at; 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM. Reason: Missed some...

You want to keep the DRAM to 1333 as they are 1333 sticks, with DDR3 your mobo supports up to 8GB total, or 4x2GB sticks. You can try adding an additional set of the same model you currently have, and it will generally work, possibly with some voltage timing adjustments, but no guarantee it will, best bet for 8 GB would be a 4x2GB set, that way the sticks are tested to work together,

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay. More help needed though!

Okay. So I think at rated stock values (1333, 7-7-7-21, 1.5v), two kits should run fine. I'm in doubt, and I'll check it out.

I have a few more queries:

Assuming I am using a single kit - normal environment, let's say:

1. What are the voltage parameters for this kit? What are the maximum volts I should give to this kit? This is CL7, so what are typical maximum volts for these kits, right before frying them?

2. What are the timings? If OC'd, what timings should one put in? Or should I leave that to auto? But I think Intel XMP plays some stupid tricks. As I have that on my board, when I turn it on, it clocks my kit from 1333 to 1600 (at rated timings). Result: System does not boot. So I enable Intel XMP and choose advanced, and then down-clock them to 1333. I didn?t make any further attempts. Is it okay to run this RAM at 1600? If any timings need adjusted, what are they?

3. If I am OCing (and Intel XMP or not), what timings should I keep? Also, what is the maximum clock this kit can go to?

4. I OC my rig, from 2.66 to say 3.1, 3.2. Funny as it is, I can?t run RAMs easily at 1333 or so. Does is make sense, OC?ing with RAMs at ~ 1066 or ~ 1100 or something? Or is it better to just stay with stock if the RAM speeds are dropping this much?

5. Can this kit operate at higher clocks, by setting it to CL8 or CL9 or something? Make any sense?

Thanks a bunch already!

Comment

These are 7-7-7-21 , 1333, 1.5

1. At stock stick to stock voltage (+/- .05), max for other, prob keep to 1.6 - 1.65 max
        2. Stock 7-7-7-21 should be fine, if you try running 1600, might get 8-8-8-24 or have to edge to a variant of CL9, would start at 9-9-9-27 then tighten down individually while maintaining stability
        3. Try keeping min of 1333, and if you take it up faster, test at original timing then loosen as needed for stability
        4. With the OC, there's more stress on the MC (memory controller) so may have to increase DRAM and/or NB voltage in small increments (maybe start at + .02-.03 or so)
        5. Addressed in #2 above, generally yes they can run faster, may be a bit harder to do on an older socket 775 mobo than say an 1155 (just older tech, 775 not really designed for the faster), so as with all OCing, best to go up in small increments and ensure stability before inching higher.....when you make a single big jump if a problem appears it could be a number of things and many people can attempt wrong corrections, and end up frying something

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay. Thanks. Still More!

These run okay at 1333 7-7-7-21. So, whenever I OC my rig a little, they dont run stable at 1333 (I mean, to the respective ratios). I have to change the ratio to get a positive boot (say, bring these down to 1100 or 1066 or something. I doubt I can even get to the 1200 range there).

What could this be? Is it possible that my system (which is stock at 333x8=2667 with these at 667x2=1333) wont run at 425x8=3400 with these still running at 667x2=1333? Will I then have to set the ratios at 1.1.2 or 1.1.5 or .6 or something (anything lower than 1200? And is that, wrt performance, wise or silly? Running these 1333 sticks at ~1000?

Comment

Might try the diff ratios, or a diff FSB (other than 425), many mobos have quasi dead spots in the FSB (why I don't know) but have seen some that are as flaky as can be from say 420 to 428, but then at 428 or 419 are rock solid

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X