Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba L675-S7106 won't boot with F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ

Hello,

I just purchased a Toshiba L675-S7106 (laptop) and F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ (RAM) at the same time. The laptop works perfectly with its original 4GB of RAM. In case this is relevant, the CPU is an AMD Phenom II Triple-Core P860 2.0GHz.

After I tested all the hardware and updated the bios to version 1.70, I installed the new F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ, and it will only boot up to the bios (where the 8GB is recognized) but then hangs at a blank screen with a solid cursor after I exit the bios or allow it to go past the bios splash screen.

I tried switching the slots and also tried each stick alone in each slot. The same thing happens each time.

If I use one of the F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ sticks with one of the original 2GB sticks, the laptop boots normally and recognizes both sticks, for a total of 6GB. I ran a memtest for a few hours and there were no errors.

The laptop uses DDR3 1066 PC3-8500 and the F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ has the same specs. Why can't I use both of the F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ sticks?

Thank you.

EDIT #1: Clarification: Added amount of RAM recognized by laptop after installing one new and one old stick together.
    EDIT #2: Added CPU model.
    EDIT #3: Clarified the parts listed in my first sentence.
    Last edited by vanessa; 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: Clarified the parts listed in my first sentence.

GSkill should be in on Monday, I seldom work with laptops because the BIOSs are rather restrictive and have no access to GSkill's data banks....sorry to leave you hanging

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sounds like some sort of compatibility issue. You may want to try our G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ instead, it has a slightly different chip configuration so it may work better.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks! The one you suggested is even cheaper than the old one on newegg! Bonus!

Why do you think the 1333 will work better than the 1066? Just curious. It seems odd since the laptop came with 1066. I really don't know a lot about RAM, so any information, even if it's pretty basic would be enlightening.

Thanks again!

Comment

Not sure they are, but I'm guessing they suggest a specific model as they may have had the opportunity to test them on the setup.....as I said though, I'm guessing here

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Most pre-built computers ship with one frequency level lower than what it is capable of, so it is no surprise yours came with DDR3-1066. The reason why I think the 10600 model may work better is because the chip configuration is little different, so hopefully that is the difference your laptops needs for 8GB to work.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why there would be a compatibility issue.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X