Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rampage Extreme / F3-10666CL9-4GBRL: Freezes and other questions

Hello all,

I got a used Asus Rampage Extreme-based system (socket 775, Intel X48 chipset) that came along with two G.Skill 4Gb F3-10666CL9-4GBRL sticks.

I have installed Windows 7 64-bit on the system but have not overclocked anything. BIOS settings are currently all at auto. Now I've been experiencing system freezes for certain applications (Firefox mainly) so coupled with the fact the rampage's user guide does not include the G.Skill in the QVL, nor does it seem to support 4Gb sticks (although they both seem to work), I am checking the possibility of RAM problems. So, I got some questions:

1) Does this motherboard support these 4Gb sticks, or not?

2) If yes, any idea if they should be installed in specific RAM Banks? Manual states in page 2-14 that DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 should be used if 2 sticks are to be installed, for dual-channel operation. The system I bought had these ram sticks installed in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1. Have left them that way, since I'm a newbie here...

3) Anything I could tune not for overclocking but for stability for these sticks / mobo combination?

Of course (2) and (3) above should be answered only if the answer to (1) is positive.

4) Anything I could try to check RAM? Would memcheck at Windows 7 boot provide any info with regard to possible ram issues?

Some more info: I have not encountered any blue screens or other issues. My freezes affect only the current application (firefox, zoombrowser ex etc) and not the rest of the desktop. Finally, some output from cpu-z if it helps:
    Code:
    Monitoring
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model		Rampage Extreme (0x000005B7 - 0x3E61BA24)

Processor 1			ID = 0
    	Number of cores		4 (max 4)
    	Number of threads	4 (max 4)
    	Name			Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
    	Codename		Yorkfield
    	Specification		Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz
    	Package (platform ID)	Socket 775 LGA (0x4)
    [...]
    Chipset
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge			Intel X48 rev. 01
    Southbridge			Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) rev. 02
    Graphic Interface		PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width		x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width		x16
    Memory Type			DDR3
    Memory Size			8192 MBytes
    Channels			Dual, (Symmetric)
    Memory Frequency		667.3 MHz (1:2)
    CAS# latency (CL)		9.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)	9
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)		9
    Cycle Time (tRAS)		24
    Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)	100
    Command Rate (CR)		2T
    MCHBAR I/O Base address		0x0FED14000

DIMM #				1
    	SMBus address		0x50
    	Memory type		DDR3
    	Module format		UDIMM
    	Manufacturer (ID)	G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
    	Size			4096 MBytes
    	Max bandwidth		PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    	Part number		F3-10666CL9-4GBRL
    	Number of banks		8
    	Nominal Voltage		1.50 Volts
    	EPP			no
    	XMP			no
    JEDEC timings table		CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    	JEDEC #1		6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz
    	JEDEC #2		7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
    	JEDEC #3		8.0-8-8-22-31 @ 609 MHz
    	JEDEC #4		9.0-9-9-25-34 @ 685 MHz

DIMM #				2
    	SMBus address		0x52
    	Memory type		DDR3
    	Module format		UDIMM
    	Manufacturer (ID)	G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
    	Size			4096 MBytes
    	Max bandwidth		PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    	Part number		F3-10666CL9-4GBRL
    	Number of banks		8
    	Nominal Voltage		1.50 Volts
    	EPP			no
    	XMP			no
    JEDEC timings table		CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    	JEDEC #1		6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz
    	JEDEC #2		7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
    	JEDEC #3		8.0-8-8-22-31 @ 609 MHz
    Any info will be appreciated. My turf is mainly software, so I am at a loss here...

The X48 you have supports a max of 8GB, unfortunately it only supports the 8 in a 4x2GB setup and then not all that well since the MC in the NB is basically from the X38 chipset. Could try the latest BIOS, can be found here

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...reme/#download

and by increasing the NB voltage, the DRAM voltage and prob the CPU voltage (with all, I'd start at about + .05) ensure the CR is at 2T and use stock timings....an alternative would be to try them at 1066 8-8-8-24, CR at 2T and DRAM voltage at 1.6. Wouldn't count on it but one of the above might work and be stable

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for your fast response. Some comments:

* The BIOS is the latest version.

* The two 4Gb DIMMs are installed in the system and seem to operate without a problem. The firefox issue mentioned above may or may not be related to these 4Gb sticks. So my question here is: how come these 4Gb sticks work ok? I'd expect only a 4 x 2Gb setup to work (as per manual). But my own 2 x 4Gb setup works alright? Miracle? Other? It shouldn't work in this configuration, should it?

Bottomline: should I leave the system as is? Is there a compelling/serious enough reason for me to replace this 2 x 4Gb set with a 4 x 2Gb one? I am not interested at all in O/C'ing. I am only interested on stability. This is main rig and the point here is avoid data corruption at all costs...

Comment

May just have a good mobo setup, they didn't really design the mobo to run w/ 4GB sticks, but the chipset itself is capable, have seen similar with e-machine boards where they underscore the capabilities of the chipset, in your case you could ensure that Firefox is the latest version and/or uninstall then reinstall, could also consider a hair more voltage to the NB.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X