Asus P8P67 LE Cold Boot Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P8P67 LE Cold Boot Issue

Purchased an ASUS P8P67 LE board with 2 sets of F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM DIMMS which is on the QVL. I am having major cold boot issues. I have tried clearing CMOS and various other tricks I have read in other forums but with no luck. I have updated the BIOS to the latest rev (1013). I have tried each set of memory individually as well as used different memory slots and constantly have the cold boot issue. I have tried manually setting timing, voltages, etc, used XMP, used the "MEM OK" button to let the board detect best settings but always end up with the cold boot issue. This particular system is not intented to be a high performance box, so if there is a a different set of RAM (can be slower) that this board will work better with, I'm cool with going that route. Don't mind fine tuning voltages or other BIOS settings if anyone has a suggestion, but getting this particular set of memory to work is not imperative. Just bought the hardware so if I need to RMA the board can do that too.

Using two sets of DRAM (even the same model) can be problematic in that you might have two sets that don't want to play together, generally that can be resolved by raising the DRAM and/or VCCIO voltage or lowering the DRAM speed some and tightening the timings which with the lower CL will provide performance at near native speed. With your sticks could try 1333 at 7-7-7-21 2T

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman for the quick reply. At this point I am troubleshooting with only a single pair of DIMMS. Using this one pair I have tried lowering speed down to 1300 but still have the issue. Have also tried bumping DRAM voltage to 1.6 with no luck. I can try the VCCIO voltage, it is auto at 1.05 with increments of .005. Do you have a ballpark number of how quickly I should increment and what a target voltage might be? The boot issue is so bad it may take 10 minutes to get the thing to finally boot so I can make changes.

Comment

Might try 1.1 just to see, then if stable drop it about .01 at a time while maintaining stability

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No luck there either. VCCIO at 1.1 and DRAM at 1.6. One set of memory and still boot issues. I have tested with both sets of DRAM (individually) with the same results so I think the chances of having a bad module in each set is pretty low. At this point I guess I'm trying to get a feel for whether I just have a bad board or may need to go with a different set of memory all together. Based on other forums, it definitely seems like the people with this model board are all struggling with memory at 1600. Leaning towards going with a 1333 set. Just fyi, once I finally got the system booted late yesterday, I ran memtest for quite a while and passed with no errors. Seems like my only issue is just cold booting.

Comment

ASUS has had problems w/ the P67 mobos, might drop them a line and see if they have a new BIOS or a Beta available

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman. Shot ASUS an email earlier today, so I'll hang tight and see what they say. I didn't see much activity on this issue since early part of this year, so maybe just got a bad board. Appreciate your help today.

Comment

Feel free to send them in and try a new kit. It should have no problem with that motherboard.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

I worked with ASUS all morning and I pretty much disconnected every peripheral that wasn't soldered to the board and they had me use one stick of memory and test. They gave me a list of things to try and they all resulted in no cold boot. I literally just pulled the RAM out of my son's PC (F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM) which is on the ASUS' QVL and still have the cold boot issue with that memory as well. I think the memory I have will end up being good, I'm just about to send ASUS an email and let them know that the issue persists with different memory. I haven't had a bad board in years, guess luck just caught up with me
                  By the way, this is the 3rd set of GSkill memory I have purchased this year. Tried your memory out earlier this year and between the hardware performance and a really good forum with a TON of good info, will be making a fourth purchase here shortly.

Comment

Sorry bout the mobos, but it does happen, recently got 2 in a row that were bad and followed by a different brand that was bad also....then got a good one, so it could be worse, hopefully you'll get a good one in replacement

Tman

Comment

Just a quick update and to add closure... I received the new Mobo yesterday and this board is running great - no boot issues. In fact I was able to get both 4 gig sets of RAM working and passed several runs of memtest and prime95. Thanks Tman and Gskill.

Comment

Glad to hear it, RMA can be a PITA but this time it was well worth it, have seen some times where the new mobo had the same problem and it was traced back to the BIOS or a different component, at least this time you got the problem first time out

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X