Intel DX58SO2 + G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 12 GB Ram Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel DX58SO2 + G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 12 GB Ram Help

Hey, I've been having some issues getting this ram to run at the advertised speeds of 1600 mhz. Here is my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231464

My computer layout:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2
    CPU: Intel i7 950
    PSU: Rosewill 1000 watt
    GPU: PNY GeForce 560 Ti

I tried using the intel extreme tuning utility and choosing the predetermined settings for this ram but upon bootup, I either get a BSOD and reboot or intel extreme tuning utility loads and tells me that the settings will not work and reverts back to the 1066 mhz speed.

Anyone have any luck with this board and ram combo?

this is an RMA'd motherboard (for other issues) and both motherboards did the same thing.

Thank you!

P.S. I'm on the road right now and had to do this through phone so if there is any other information I might have left out, please let me know

Might check and make sure you have the latest BIOS, it should just be enable XMP and set to 1600. If still problems may want to run memtest on each stick to make sure all are good

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Might check and make sure you have the latest BIOS, it should just be enable XMP and set to 1600. If still problems may want to run memtest on each stick to make sure all are good
      I forgot to add that I had tried updating to the latest BIOS but doing that screwed up my motherboard entirely and from just doing a little research on this motherboard and bios, there seems to be many, many issues and the latest bios is basically bricking motherboards.

but when I wake up, I'll figure out what bios version intel put on this rma'd motherboard.

I also ran memtest before while using all sticks and received 0 errors.

Thank you!
      Last edited by NITRO2; 07-28-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I checked what version my motherboard is and it's an older bios version, 0603. Doing some quick research, i found out that this bios for my motherboard seems to be very stable, unlike other/newer versions.

I'm not sure whether or not i should risk trying to update my bios again to see if my ram will work, i'm thinking about trying it again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

You can always flash back.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            You can always flash back.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            I couldn't do anything the last time i updated my motherboard to this updated bios, my motherboard was bricked. I tried everything, cmos battery removal to reset bios to defaults, bios recovery, all that.

So i am kinda hesitant to updating my bios because i am afraid it'll brick the entire motherboard again and i'll have to RMA. Do you think this bios update would fix my memory timings issue?

Comment

Have you tried contacting Intel on the BIOS issue

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Have you tried contacting Intel on the BIOS issue
                I did when i first had the motherboard issue, haven't contacted them ever since i got the RMA board. I was thinking about contacting them soon to see if they recommend it and what steps i could take to increase the odds in a successful bios update. lol

Comment

Let us know, Intel's the one who started the XMP ball, but a number of their boards (normally the BIOS) doesn't seem to read sticks and match up

Tman

Comment

Let us know, Intel's the one who started the XMP ball, but a number of their boards (normally the BIOS) doesn't seem to read sticks and match up
                    k so i used the intel integrator assistant or whatever it's called and i used that to flash my bios. it was successful and eventually booted up and i gain confidence and tried using the extreme tuning program and chose XMP. Upon reboot, i got 0 errors and loaded up extreme tuning to find that it actually work and it stuck at 1600 mhz

thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X