Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news and bad news

First the good news:

The problem with the random hanging is completely gone! I can now finally load up Netflix, Photoshop, etc. without having to worry! Yay!

Now the bad news:

I seem to be having a few power issues. Often when I shutdown my computer using the Windows menu, the system will shutdown, and then start up again for some reason. On the other hand if I hit the power button on the system, the computer shuts down (going through the proper shutdown procedure) and stays off.

Once when I switched on the computer, I got the error "Power surge detected, ASUS power surge has been activated to protect the computer" or something at POST. I haven't seen the message since.

Also, my CPU seems to be operating hotter than it should be. I had initially set my BIOS profile to ASUS's "Extreme" option, where it overclocks the memory and CPU automatically. This led to a BSOD after a while of working, probably caused by overheating. I'd also received an alert that my CPU had hit 85 degrees, so I went back and switched to the "Normal" BIOS profile, and just enabled XMP for my DRAM.

Even now, the CPU goes up to 65-70 on heavy loads. Is this a problem? Could it be because I'm using the stock CPU fan? BTW, I have a feeling that the fan's not very tightly sitting on the CPU since I'd taken it off the old mobo and put it back on the new one. Don't know what I can do about that.

Should I get an aftermarket fan? What do you guys think the reason for the power issues could be?

Thanks!

Comment

What was your CPU OC? You may want to double check CPU Cooler installation. It should be OK even with a slight OC.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        What was your CPU OC? You may want to double check CPU Cooler installation. It should be OK even with a slight OC.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Thank you - you were right, after re-seating the CPU fan, the temperatures seem to have come down a lot.

Edit: Please note that I haven't been able to figure out the "power surge" error reason yet.
        Last edited by armoredwrath; 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM. Reason: Clarified problem

Comment

Might check out the PSU, it could be going bad - which could cause a power surge, and could also cause random restarts as you described and/or could also cause temps to go up if overfeeding voltage to the CPU, generally (as you have described with your problems) a declining PSU will have intermittent things like this happen

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Might check out the PSU, it could be going bad - which could cause a power surge, and could also cause random restarts as you described and/or could also cause temps to go up if overfeeding voltage to the CPU, generally (as you have described with your problems) a declining PSU will have intermittent things like this happen
            It's a brand new PSU! The random restarts are no longer a problem, and were only present when I'd tried OCing. I just built the entire system a few weeks ago, so it can't be because of an aging PSU. By the way, I didn't have this problem with another motherboard (ASRock Z68 Pro3) on the same setup, but that could simply be because the ASRock didn't have anti-surge detection.

Comment

Working...
            X