• ASUS M4A77TD, optimum BIOS settings for 12 GB RAM

Hi there,
    I have a recently built system with
    ASUS M4A77TD board,
    AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0 ghz quad core
    and Antec 550 watt PSU
    and currently running
    F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL RAM
    at 1600 with timings set at 2T 9-9-9-24 and memovervoltage at 1.605... and it has been stable thus far (though I only changed it from the stock config last night.... about 5 hours total run time so far)
    I recently ordered F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    so I will have a total of 12 GB of RAM (using 64 bit Win 7)
    I am wondering what would be the optimum settings/configuration to get the most out of the RAM while maintaining consistent stability.
    I have viewed other posts regarding the M4A77TD board, but haven't seen anything that quite gives a solid answer. I would be happy to post images of the BIOS screens if I could get help with what specific values to modify.
    I sincerely appreciate any help with this.

(edit: 550 watt PSU, not 530)
    Last edited by Snavemada5; 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM.

Do you have the C2 or C3 Revision/Stepping Phenom II 945?
    If you have the C2 Revision, it's very unlikely that you'll get both sets to work together.
    The C2 Revision has a weak IMC and will struggle to run stable with all dimms populated.

Both sets are rated at 1.50v, why are you running the original set at 1.605v?
    Trying to run unmatched sets could be a problem as well.
    You may be saved by the fact that both sets have the exact same timings.
    Speaking of which, just make sure to set the memory timings and voltage in the bios.

Good luck, let us know how you make out...
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
      Do you have the C2 or C3 Revision/Stepping Phenom II 945?
      If you have the C2 Revision, it's very unlikely that you'll get both sets to work together.
      The C2 Revision has a weak IMC and will struggle to run stable with all dimms populated.

Both sets are rated at 1.50v, why are you running the original set at 1.605v?
      Trying to run unmatched sets could be a problem as well.
      You may be saved by the fact that both sets have the exact same timings.
      Speaking of which, just make sure to set the memory timings and voltage in the bios.

Good luck, let us know how you make out...
      I'm like 95% sure it is the C3 revision.... not sure where it would tell though
      I'm running 1.6 because from reading other threads about my ASUS board and AMD processors, it has a tricky time running stable at 1600 without that +.1 voltage increase, and the board uses increments of .015v, thus the extra .005. I have also seen recommendations to modify HT voltages and other settings, but I'm trying to get by with as few radical changes as possible.
      A friend indicated that the two different types of RAM should be fine together as long as they have the same timings and voltage, and that made sense to me ... hopefully it holds true.

Comment

Run CPU-Z, it will tell you the Revision & Stepping:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

well, so much for that....
          I have a different program to monitor core temps and it displays most of that same info... its revision RB-C2, so... Fail on my part.
          The funny thing is, my friend who looked over my parts list prior to me buying didn't even realize it was C2 either, or that C2 even existed. He thought it was the exact same processor as his. Even on Newegg the only difference without reading deep into reviews is the wattage, which wasn't exactly s big clue....
          Anyway....
          It was good for about 5 hours last night, no bsod, but I wasn't really pushing it either. Just Firefox, music, and some chat windows. The last time it bsod'd I had yahoo, skype, firefox with many tabs, media player, and Minecraft multiplayer all running.
          I went back into BIOS today and saw that the 1600 had reverted to 1333. I know that my cpu doesn't like 1600, so if I have to run 1333, I'm ok with that. I should have the 8 gb of RAM early next week, so that will be when the fun starts.
          If it comes down to it, if I HAVE to just run 2 sticks, I'll live with the 8gb, but would prefer to keep all 4.

edit to add:
          Here are screens for my BIOS, with the current settings.

Last edited by Snavemada5; 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

You may consider jumping into a C3 965, 970, or 975.
            Then you wouldn't have to worry about populating all memory dimms.
            Now the Thuban X6 series has an even better (improved) IMC versus the C3 Denab lineup.
            But in all honestly, you probably will never need more than 8GB of memory anyways.
            ASUS Crosshair V Formula
            Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

I think I actually decided I am going to use what I have for now, but over the course of the next 6-12 months pick up good solid new parts for a complete new system as they go on cheap sales, so be it 8gb or 12, I'll deal with this board and CPU for now.... and just make something 10x better down the road.

Comment

Makes good sense, the Egg have good deals on things all the time

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X