• Show
Clear All

• Unstable!! F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL on M4A87TD EVO

Hello, I just upgraded my system yesterday to the following:

PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI PSU
    AMD 955 X4 BE (C3) (stock cooling)
    Asus M4A87TD EVO Mobo
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 4GB Ram Kit
    EVGA 7800 GTX (will eventually upgrade this when I have more money)

I'm having lots of trouble getting this stable, and I'm beginning to think either it's a bad motherboard, bad cpu, bad memory, or a combination. I read the sticky about AMD cpu's and 1600 DDR memory. I have tried those settings, but maybe I need to do some further tweaking. I didn't mess with voltages very much (so maybe that's my problem). I have reinstalled Windows 7 twice, and both times it's become unstable and eventually I'm not able to boot anymore. I get BSOD's, freezing, reboots, etc.

I did a little bit of testing last night running memtest86+ test#5 for about 15 minutes and had no errors. But then when I'm able to finally boot into windows it's very unstable. I can't run Prime95 hardly any. Maybe a couple minutes at the most before it crashes.

Not sure if this could be it, but the power supply I'm using is from 2005/2006. It is native 24 pin and does have the 4pin P4 connector. It also has 38 amps on the +12v rail (I think) so I'm pretty sure this power supply has enough juice to power this. I paid like $200 for it back then so....

I was hoping I could get some help tweaking my settings in the BIOS before I start RMA'ing parts.

Thanks

5-6 year old PSU, it's time to replace it without a doubt.
    PSU's ability to provide consitent, stable power to the rails degrades over time.
    I realize that your strapped for cash, but your problem will only get worse until you replace that PSU.

Look at the Corsair CX or TX line up, you can't do wrong with either series.

This is a sweet deal on a good quality Corsair unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139028
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

I do like Corsair PSU's (I've used about 5 of them to build computers for people), but do you really think that would be the problem? I'm using a PC Power & Cooling PSU....I mean this thing was beast back in the day, and the specs are still decent. I mean it's got a single +12v rail rated for 38amps. Would it have degraded that much?

Comment

Yes I do believe it has degraded, just the age alone confirms my belief.
        Only way to know for sure is to check the rails with a multi-meter or voltmeter.
        Don't rely on software to determine if the rails are dipping below spec.
        The most important rail to monitor is the +12v rail.
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Ok get this....this is so weird. I was messing with testing 1 stick of memory at a time and I think I might have found some settings that work. But why do they work is the question? I had manually set my memory to all these settings (at least I thought I did).

I set my mobo to use the Asus D.O.C.P settings for DDR3-1600. And then I set everything else to Auto. I'm typing this while running Prime95 completely stable on all 4 cores. Does this motherboard really need this setting to be enabled for it to be stable? I can't just manually load the same frequency/timings?

Comment

Oh and by the way...I think I forgot to mention that I'm running newest BIOS version 2001.
            Last edited by zeeter82; 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

If working Ok w/ one stick, could try another, if that unstable, may want to add a bit of voltage to the CPU/NB maybe .03-.04

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                If working Ok w/ one stick, could try another, if that unstable, may want to add a bit of voltage to the CPU/NB maybe .03-.04
                That's what is weird Tradesman. I'm running both sticks now, and when using this Asus D.O.C.P. DDR3-1600 setting it seems to be doing much better. I mean that's pretty much the only thing I enabled. I left everything else default, voltages, bus, multiplier, etc.

I'm going to be doing lots of burn in tests to make sure, at least 10 hours on Prime95 and memtestx86+.

I just can't believe that it would be so unstable if I manually set the frequency/timings to what was recommended here. Maybe someone else has answers. I'm not sure what else that D.O.C.P. setting enabled/disabled, but it seems to be pretty stable. I'll update this post after I run more tests.

Comment

UPDATE:

I ran Prime95 last night before I went to bed, and when I woke up this morning 1 core had failed, and 3 cores were still going strong (I'm using the stock cooling and the highest temperature was 58C). I stopped it and looked at the logs. The one core that failed did so after about 50 minutes. The other 3 cores were still running strong for over 4 hours. So I'm closer to getting this thing stable.

What should I change in bios before running Prime95 again? Should I increase the voltages a little and if so which ones?

This is what I've changed so far....I set the CPU-NB voltage up 0.3 and started running memtestx86+ before leaving for work. I'll check it when I get home today for any errors.

Comment

May want to raise it another notch or two, or could take DRAM up just a hair, sounds like you're almost there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Still having trouble getting this thing stable. Now I'm trying these settings:

cpu freq: 3200mhz
                      cpu volt: 1.41v

cpu/nb freq: 2600mhz
                      cpu/nb volt: 1.2v

ddr3 freq: 1333 @ 8-8-8-24-1T
                      ddr3 volt: 1.51v

Just about everything else is auto.

I'm still trying to find a sweet spot. I'm getting random errors with both Prime98 and memtestx86+

Can someone please suggest some settings? This Asus bios has a ton of settings and I'm sure some of them can be manually set instead of doing auto.

Maybe it is my psu that's causing the problem with irregular voltages. I did notice this...not sure if it's normal or not. I have the cpu volt at 1.41v in bios. When I boot up and load up CPU-Z it shows 1.39v which is close enough...but as soon as I start Prime95 and all 4 cores are under 100% load that voltage reading drops to 1.35-1.36v in CPU-Z. Is this normal or this telling me that my psu is being stressed too much?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Comment

Might want to set CR (Command Rate) to 2T----1T IS pushing it a bit to much

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by zeeter82 View Post
                          Still having trouble getting this thing stable. Now I'm trying these settings:

cpu freq: 3200mhz
                          cpu volt: 1.41v

cpu/nb freq: 2600mhz
                          cpu/nb volt: 1.2v

ddr3 freq: 1333 @ 8-8-8-24-1T
                          ddr3 volt: 1.51v

Just about everything else is auto.

I'm still trying to find a sweet spot. I'm getting random errors with both Prime98 and memtestx86+

Can someone please suggest some settings? This Asus bios has a ton of settings and I'm sure some of them can be manually set instead of doing auto.

Maybe it is my psu that's causing the problem with irregular voltages. I did notice this...not sure if it's normal or not. I have the cpu volt at 1.41v in bios. When I boot up and load up CPU-Z it shows 1.39v which is close enough...but as soon as I start Prime95 and all 4 cores are under 100% load that voltage reading drops to 1.35-1.36v in CPU-Z. Is this normal or this telling me that my psu is being stressed too much?

Thanks again everyone for the help.
                          It's called Vdrop, when the CPU voltage drops while under load.
                          Unfortunately, it's common with some of the mid to low end motherboards.
                          Sometimes bios updates can correct it, but you may just have to live with it.
                          If you have CPU Load Line Calibration setting in the bios, set it to Full or 100% or just play with it.
                          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                          Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Still no luck....some cores keep failing Prime95 in Win7. This is getting frustrating...just running out of things to configure. Not sure if I have defective hardware, or if it just doesn't like working together.

I'll try that CPU Load Line option next.

UPDATE:

I enabled both the CPU Load Line and the CPU/NB Load Line Calibration setting. CPU-Z now shows the full voltage even while under 100% load This is good news. I guess only time will tell if this was the problem after all. Running Prime95 again now to test.

UPDATE 2:

I guess with the voltage being more stable that might have done the trick. I was 2+ hours Prime95 stable when I stopped it. I'll run more tests later, but I want to run memtestx86+ now for a couple hours. Thanks for the heads up on this setting NemesisChild.
                            Last edited by zeeter82; 06-11-2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Finally got it working!

Woohoo!!!

Finally got it stable and on stock voltages too. The CPU Load Line and the CPU/NB Load Line Calibration settings did the trick...they were set to "Auto" so after I switched them to "Enabled" the CPU and the CPU/NB voltages were much more stable. No more dropping

I ran Prime95 stable for 5 hours and memtestx86+ for about 7 hours.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X