Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My turn at being an Asus Crosshair IV/Ext noob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn at being an Asus Crosshair IV/Ext noob...

I've been reading as many threads as my eyes will let me and all it's done is give me an even bigger headache than prior to starting...here's the sitch...

Have 1 AMD 1090T b/e
    Would like to run 8gb of RAM, planning on doing heavy gaming, cartoon rendering, and normal pc use as well. Figure better to have a lil too much than have too little.
    Getting either the Asus Crosshair IV Formula or the Extreme...
    Would like to go with g.skill, they seem to have a great deal of excellent reviews, so im confident about the quality...here's the prob...(noob time)...which ram to get?

1. i understand that if i get say a 2000mhz (a F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM for example), then i have more room to fool around with OC, as in i can drop it to 1866 with tighter timings or bump it up with looser ones...
    2. i understand that having a CL7 is better than a CL9, or CL11 even (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL which is what i've been leaning towards)....
    3. have given up on getting the FLS series, despite their pratically being destined for either board, issue being availability of course, d'oh.
    4. some OC'n to be done, nothing hardcore, wont need dry ice or anything
    5. would prefer, based on reading, 2x4gb as it's less a strain on the memory controller
    6. have read the QVLs for both boards and it's pretty slim pickins for 8gb kits, especially with the FLS gone
    so, after literally hours of reading through these helpful forums, im a bit stuck between the following...

F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231468

F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231401

and
    F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6000CL9D-8GBRM

not that money is no object, but they are very close in price range, so i've taken that out of consideration. just unsure of which way to go...lower CL or higher MHZ?
    (sorry this is so long, had a lot to ask and figured the more info given the easier assistance would be)

Thanks in advance,

da b3an

ps: anyone know if the issue with AMD PII cpus being unstable with multiple dimms on a single lane has been fixed? saw the threads about them, but they were about 2 years old, none resolved though.

Think maybe the F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM, if you OC the box enough can prob get them to 2000, if not should run strong at 1866 w/CL8, going much lower on the CL up in that range may be to much for the MC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Think maybe the F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM, if you OC the box enough can prob get them to 2000, if not should run strong at 1866 w/CL8, going much lower on the CL up in that range may be to much for the MC

*sigh* another noob moment..."OC the box enough can prob get them to 2000"...ugh, the box being...? sorry, some of the slang makes my brain stall out. (though it seems weird that you'd have to OC something to get 2k mhz ram to run at 2k mhz)

quoting some specs off Newegg...
      Integrated Memory Controller Speed:
      Dual Channel PC3-10667U (DDR3-1333) for 2 Module, Dual Channel PC3-8500U (DDR3-1066), Dual Channel PC2-8500U (DDR2-1066)

almost makes it sound like ddr3 1333 is the fastest ram this cpu can handle, but i know that's just the noob in me.

Thanks Tradesman. I read a lot of your replies to this problem in various threads.

ugh, i feel like im trying to run before i walk, tho i went jogging last weekend...

information overload.
      Last edited by b3anbag; 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

First of all, you may want to hold off on getting a new board, the Crosshair V willl be released soon.
        I'm fortunate to be running 4x2GB DDR3-2000 CL7 Flares.
        Problem is that high end memory IC's are in short supply, thus no low latency sets are available right now.
        However, I have experiemented with various modules over the past few months.
        And yes, a 2x4GB set will put less stress on the IMC and allow for a 16GB upgrade down the road.

This is a great 2x4GB set, 24/7 stable at 1907MHz with default CL9 (2T) timings:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231455
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by b3anbag View Post
          *sigh* another noob moment..."OC the box enough can prob get them to 2000"...ugh, the box being...? sorry, some of the slang makes my brain stall out. (though it seems weird that you'd have to OC something to get 2k mhz ram to run at 2k mhz)

quoting some specs off Newegg...
          Integrated Memory Controller Speed:
          Dual Channel PC3-10667U (DDR3-1333) for 2 Module, Dual Channel PC3-8500U (DDR3-1066), Dual Channel PC2-8500U (DDR2-1066)

almost makes it sound like ddr3 1333 is the fastest ram this cpu can handle, but i know that's just the noob in me.

Thanks Tradesman. I read a lot of your replies to this problem in various threads.

ugh, i feel like im trying to run before i walk, tho i went jogging last weekend...

information overload.
          I know how you feel man. When you OC your RAM, you increase the multiplier so that it runs at DDR3-1600 instead of DDR3-1333. however, it can't be overclocked further without increasing the front side bus FSB. FSBxCPU multiplier = CPU speed. FSBxRAM multiplier = RAM speed. The FSB on all AMD CPUs are 200mhz. If you say increase the FSB to 250 Mhz, you should get from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-2000 which is a bit faster. You'd need memory modules which can handle that speed at whatever specified timings. AMD overclocking isn't exactly "set it and forget it" styling like what I've got (sandy bridge socket 1155).
          AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
          ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
          16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
          EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
          EVGA G2 750W
          Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
          ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
          4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
          ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
          SeaSonic X-760 PSU
          G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

NemesisChild, you're a bad bad person... as if getting all the kinks and decisions between IV and the EXt wasnt bad enough, you have to bring up the V! how dare you!?!?!?!!? and to pour further salt in the wound, you have the CL7 flares!!!!! bah! (thanks for the tip though; still cant find a release date on the V). just imagine what this pooor poooor forum will be like when that board hits the market?!?!

Comment

lol, it's what makes this country so great....sooooooooooo many choices.
              Word is that Bulldozer and the AM3+ 990 chipset boards will be released around June 7th.
              If I were you, hold off another week or so, then my recommendation....GET THE CROSSHAIR V.
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Box being the system, as explained above by others the OC is required to run the sticks at that frequency...and sorry about the slang, I'm not a GSkill employee, just helping out to keep up withh all the hardware out there (have my own systems business) and at times I get in a hurry, a lot of terms I use, been using back to 80's

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Nemesis...that soon??? Oh snap, i had gotten a really vague impression of August. damn, next week works fine for me! and at the msrp of what, like 240 or so? i wonder though, if that price is with or w/o the Thunderbird card? (dont need it, but...).

Tradesman...dont even trip about the jargon...im a quick learner. i've heard the term box before (in ref to computers), just didnt think of it there, for w/e reason. anyhow...

at least i have a cpu on the shelf and a case picked out (CM Haf X, yeah, i know, trendy, but it's a nice one). next stop graphics land, yay! someone's 6950 i think will be the result. man, i built a system in 2000 around an amd athlon xp 2800...lol, things have chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanged!

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking for the ASUS Crosshair V Formula.
                    It will be soon, Newegg has been running periodic sales on the CH4, which was almost never before.
                    So, they know the CH5 is around the corner, trying to sell as many CH4's as possible to reduce inventory.

Man, the 990 chipset looks sweet, it will fully support Nvidia SLI and of course AMD CrossFire.
                    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                    Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Well as fate would have it, I just got unofficial word that Bulldozer has been delayed, possibly until August.
                      Whelther or not this will cause a delay with the Crosshair V is anybodys guess at this point.
                      If you want to pull the trigger now, the CH4 is the one to go with, hands down.
                      This is a precision overclocking board, it's by far the best board that I have ever owned.
                      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                      Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Nice case, like the airflow it has and like the bottom PSU mount....2000 to today..big, big changes....but as discussed above, seems like everything is changing quarter to quarter

Tman

Comment

i think i'll just wait on the CHV....the IV is a sexy board n all, but honestly, i REALLY want the new bios set up, EUIFF or w/e, with it being GUI'd into windows. i know the Extreme has it, oh AI Suite, i think that's it. anyhow...seems a lot cleaner and more accessible than the traditional bios that are out there. i was jealous when the p67 boards got it, that DIGI+ thingamabobber. hopefull the BD delay doesnt kill the board, but, hmm, well...the board does take AM3 chips, so...maybe release it early and get some bugs out before the unleash the beastly 8cores on us? if i were runnin the joint, that's what i'd do...why wait and have mobo AND cpu bugs at the same time? (yes, i know...new cpu will create new bugs, but...)

Comment

Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
                            lol, it's what makes this country so great....sooooooooooo many choices.
                            Word is that Bulldozer and the AM3+ 990 chipset boards will be released around June 7th.
                            If I were you, hold off another week or so, then my recommendation....GET THE CROSSHAIR V.
                            Delay confirmed on bulldozer. There's some rumour swirling around that Trinity caused the delay (planning to integrate GPU in to zambezi 8-core and lower series chips). Delay expected to take from 60-90 days. sadface indeed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...rocessors.html
                            AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
                            ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
                            16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
                            EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
                            EVGA G2 750W
                            Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
                            ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
                            4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
                            ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
                            SeaSonic X-760 PSU
                            G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Onslaught2k3 View Post
                              Delay confirmed on bulldozer. There's some rumour swirling around that Trinity caused the delay (planning to integrate GPU in to zambezi 8-core and lower series chips). Delay expected to take from 60-90 days. sadface indeed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...rocessors.html

awww horse-nuggets!! hmmm, i guess we're gong by that lil image/chart below the second paragraph then, that the AM3+ boards will be available july 1. odd, no one is doing pre-orders on them...or is that the norm?

Thanks for the update, Onslaught2k3

Comment

Working...
                              X