Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte board + G.Skill Ripjaw's..compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte board + G.Skill Ripjaw's..compatible?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 motherboard, which says it can take 4 x 1.5v ram sticks, but all the ram im looking at seems to be 1.6v - 1.65v. These sticks say they are compatible with the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 and GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 motherboards, which also say they accept 4 x 1.5v ram sticks, so can anyone confirm that these sticks will work with my chosen board?

For references, I'm looking at the F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD memory. Also, one of the sites I'm looking at buying the ram from had 2 models with slightly different pricing, but I can't seem to find a difference between them:
    GS-F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD
    b/Dual-F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD
    Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between these two and if they are both compatible with my board? Also, will I have issues with heating if I don't use the fan that comes with the 8gb kit?

Thanks

EDIT: Extra info...

Motherboard specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...support%20list
    Ram specs: http://gskill.com/products.php?index=370

I might also be looking at getting 2 sets of the 4GB kits instead if it works out to be cheaper (4 x 2gb sticks total). The specs for that kit is http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=366 . Note that this one is 1.6v and the 8gb kit is 1.65v.
    Last edited by ronnie301184; 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM.

The actual model # is F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD - which you can find as shown on GSkill's site, my guess is the added b/dual and/or GS are something added by the retailer for their own inventory purposes (i.e. GS for GSkill or the b/Dual to indicate two sticks or dual may also use like QUA or QUAD for 4 TRI for 3 etc. No idea why they'd be a different price - unless (if same retailer) they paid different prices at different times, or one may be in effect an open-box item, etc.

The set's can be run without the fan - it's provided as extra cooling, these can be purchased by themselves also, not really needed - does look nice in an open case and doesn't hurt anything.

Definitely compatible, the RipjawsX product line was developed specifically for the P67/H67/Z68 chipsets, so while they work with most all chipsets, there's a bit of a performance edge when paired with the native chipsets.

If possible would suggest a quad set if leaning towards 16GB, that way they have been tested to all work together, next best thing would be to see if you can get two sets of 4 at same time w/ sequential serial #s to ensure they came from the same production lot - while there generally is no problems when adding a second set, there is no guarantee they will play nice together.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, you've answered all my questions.

I realised the GS stood for the g.skill and the b/dual stood for dual channel (2 sticks) but essentially they are the same product, so you're probably right, in that one might be an open box product or something similar.

Just one misunderstanding however..I'm not looking at getting 16GB total, only 8GB. If I get 4 sticks, it would have been 4x 2GB sticks, but nonetheless your advice on getting quad or sequential serials is still helpful. It seems getting 2x 4gb sticks in a dual channel kit works out to be cheaper anyway.

Anyway, thanks for all the help tradesman

Comment

No problem, let us know how you like 'em

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Got my system...love the ripjaws but unfortunately my cooler blocks dimm 2, so I can only use dual channel, which is what I bought. If I want to upgrade to quad in the future, I'd have to change my cooler
          Also, can't fit the RAM fan on

For anyone wondering, its the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Comment

It's a good cooler, but big, some have forgone the fan that covers the DIMM slots and some more have modded the fins a bit by trimming them back. Don't think much thought was given to coolers when the basic board design was laid out

Tman

Comment

I just looked at the possibility of trimming but it wouldnt be possible to trim enough to sit it on...so I'll just leave it off altogether.

Comment

Might take a look at ZALMAN CNPS5X SZ 92mm Hydraulic, picked one up to keep in the shop and so far, I really like it, stuck it on a 2500K just to get an idea of how well it works, and have left it on, was planning to use a Frio on this build, but it's going to be in the shop instead. It's quiet and cool, on a brand new build at 4.8, it's at 38 Centigrade, 55 under load. Figure it should settle in about 34-35 once the Artic Silver cures....and no overhang, even have room for a DRAM cooler, may stick a GSkill fan on it, have one still sitting, running 16GB 1866 Snipers, and plan to take them to 2000+.

Tman

Comment

Well I've already bought and used the 212+ so I don't plan on replacing it...looked up the zalman though. Reviews say the 212+ runs quieter and cooler. Makes sense; bigger HS.

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2585&page=5

Zalman does look good though, but I'd take the 212+ over being able to use the RAM fan.

Going back to my original post though, I've noticed in the post screen and in the bios, it says my ram is running at 1.5v and 1600mhz. Should be 2133mhz...is it running lower cause the RAM is 1.65v and my mobo specs say it only takes 1.5v sticks, in other words, is the voltage being limited, and thus forcing my ram to work slower?

Comment

Can go into the BIOS, enable XMP and set it to 2133, the profile should make all the adjustments needed, but if any problems give us a shout

Tman

Comment

Cheers.

A friend told me it had something to do with the i7 running at stock, and when it kicks up to its turbo mode, the ram will kick up to the full 2133 as well...I'll do some testing later.

Comment

The XMP setting did the trick..cheers

Comment

Great, Glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X