MSI 790FX-GD70 and F312800CL9Q-16GBRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 790FX-GD70 and F312800CL9Q-16GBRL

I have a MSI 790FX-GD70 and a set of F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL memory modules. I am unable to get the system to post with any combination of these memory modules; 1,2,3,or 4. I have tried several of the suggested settings with no luck. Can anybody help or is this memory incompatible with this motherboard?

Have you looked at the sticky for AMD/1600

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tried all suggested settings

Yes. I have tried all suggested settings but can get the system to post with my old RAM installed.

Comment

First, what CPU are you running? Many AMD Cpu's can't run 1600 at all, and many also have problems w/ 16GB. Have you tried at 1333 and tighter timings to see if problems persist at 1333 and have you run memtest on each stick individually to see if you have a bad stick?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

CPU type

AMD Phemon II 965 Black Edition.

I can't get the system to boot with any stick(s). I did get a POST with 2 sticks once but have been unable to duplicate the POST.

I currently am using 4 sticks of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ R purchased in 2 seperate sets 3 months apart. I have no problems with that memory.

Comment

Do you have the 140w C2 or 125w C3 965?
            AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
            Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
            ASUS Crosshair V Formula
            2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
            SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
            Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
            Corsair HX850W Modular
            Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
            2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

CPU watt

140W. AMD part number - HDZ965FBGIBOX.

Comment

Originally posted by lddaniel View Post
                140W. AMD part number - HDZ965FBGIBOX.
                Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 140W 965 is a C2 Revision Phenom II CPU.
                The C2 Revision has a very weak, limited IMC (Internal Memory Controller).
                The newer C3 Revisions have a much improved IMC and can usually handle memory with all dimms populated.
                So, it's basically next to impossible to get a C2 rig to run stable with all memory slots populated, let alone 16GB.

Your best bet is to work with only two sticks, placing them in the outside dual channel slots (furthest away from the CPU).
                Then, try running at 1333MHz with CL8 timings and also set the memory voltage in the bios.
                If that works, then try 1600MHz with the specified CL9 timings and voltage.
                You may have to increase the CPU/NB and NB voltages to gain stability.

Good luck...
                AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                Corsair HX850W Modular
                Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

That's what I thought

Thanks NemesisChild. You put my mind at ease. I thought I'd done something stupid and fried the memory. I'm going to build another computer without the AMD CPU. I plan on using an Intel i7 Sandy Bridge with the Asus P9P67 EVO motherboard and the memroy I just bought. I won't have the same memory limitations as with the AMD CPU, will I? Again thanks for your help.

Comment

Nope, should have no problem on the Intel platform

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X