F3-12800-CL9D-8GBRL, M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Phenom II X4 965 BE C3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800-CL9D-8GBRL, M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Phenom II X4 965 BE C3

I put together a new computer back in November, and at the time I had purchased a 2x2 set of Ripjaws (F3-12800-CL7D-4GBRM). They worked wonderfully, no problems at all until a month ago. One of the sticks started throwing BSODs, so I dropped down to a single 2GB stick. The remaining one failed just the other day.

When the first stick started to fail, I ordered a set of F3-12800-CL9D-8GBRL. One of the sticks consistently failed memtest86+, so I RMA'd them.

I am currently on the second set. Both sticks pass memtest86+ individually. However, they fail as a pair. I have already tried both configuration settings in the sticky thread (DDR3-1333 x 240 FSB, DDR3-1333 + 8-8-8-24). Both of those result in failed memtests.

If I boot with only one stick, windows runs normally for 2-3 minutes and then hangs. However, it will boot fine in safe mode and handled Prime95 blend for about half an hour (I didn't have the time to run a full test).

So, my questions are:

1) Why is a single stick stable in safe mode but unstable in normal?
    2) What configurations can I try to get both sticks working?

Thanks for the help,
    Yozo

System Summary:
    Processor: Phenom II X4 965 BE C3 (link)
    Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (link)
    Memory (new): F3-12800-CL9D-8GBRL (link)
    Memory (old): F3-12800-CL7D-4GBRM (link)
    PSU: Antec Truepower 750W (link)

Which slots are they installed in? Do you have the latest BIOS? This is quite an odd issue you are having.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

If I was running both sticks, I'd have them in the first and third slots. With a single stick I tried all four.

My BIOS was version 1456. I have just updated it to 2001, but I havn't seen any great improvements yet.

Comment

Sounds like a couple possible things, hopefully it a driiver for one of your components, if not next thing would be possibly a virus or trojan, next thought would be a corrupt Windows install....and lastly a mobo going bad.

Any chance of testing the sticks on another system?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

At any rate, I ended up returning the memory for a refund. I didn't have any other computers/memory available to swap parts and test them, but I don't think either the motherboard or the memory were defective.

I'm looking into getting some different RAM, preferably in DDR3-1333 to help avoid compatibility issues. The kits I was looking at were F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (link) or F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH (link).

Do either of these have known issues with my CPU/mobo, and would they be considered a good buy?

Comment

Either of those should work fine. The RH is the best performing kit without overclocking. Very popular among AMD users.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X