Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Memtest86 test #7

Hello all!

I am new to the forum and have searched high and low for a solution but I can't seem to find one.

I built my first PC about 6 weeks ago but I'm having problems with test #7 on Memtest86. My PC passes the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and Memtest86+ but fails test #7 on Memtest86. Am I doing something wrong?

I am using the following:

AMD 1100T
    ASRock 890GX Extreme4

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH (Timings set at 7-7-7-21 2T, 1.5v, all other timings are set to AUTO)

I am not overclocking anything.

I've run the test on both and then each stick by itself with the same results. Are my sticks bad? Is this cause enough to RMA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by cattman77; 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM. Reason: changed title from "Failed Memtest86 test #7"

Are there problems with both sticks or just one? Also which slots are they in? Do you have the latest BIOS? and lastly, for now, what version of Memtest are you using?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

This proves how little I know. I thought I'd included all of the pertinent information. Sorry about that. Thanks for the heads up.

I tested both sticks individually with the command rate on Auto. I have yet to test them individually with the command rate at 2T since that was my most recent change. I will do that later today.

ASRock has not released a new BIOS for this mobo so I am still at version 1.0.

I used Memtest86 version 4.0. I passed all tests on Memtest86+ 4.2 (or something like that).

I hope this helps explain the situation and thanks again for your interest!

Comment

Memtest86+ 4.20 is up to date with the latest hardware. Memtest 3.50 is not.

If the system is stable, then everything is working just fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Memtest86+ 4.2 was released 1/25/11
          Memtest86 4.0 was released 3/28/11 and is the one my GSkill memory failed.
          Last edited by cattman77; 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Memtest86 tech support stated the following:

"Test #7 does block moves that are higher bandwidth than any of the other tests. So memory that can't keep up with the full speed of the MB/CPU will often see errors that do not show up with other tests.

Memtest86 4.0 tests memory with multiple cores. A single core is not able to drive multi channel memory to it's full bandwidth. I find that with 2+ cores the effective memory BW is about 30 to 40% higher. That is why version 4.0 completes in less time. So back to Test #7 with more than one core the memory BW will be higher exposing some errors that cannot be found when testing with a single core. So while I have not seen this failure before it is consistent with expectations.

I think that your system has a memory BW issue that is only exposed with block transfers and more than one core."

I will continue to troubleshoot.

Comment

What kind of failure are you getting? Are there just a few errors or is there are large number or continuos errors? I am getting continuos errors on test #7 in Memtest86 v4.0 and was wondering if you also had the same results.

Comment

If you guys have Windows 7, you can use that to test, or use a stress test like Prime95 to see if your system is stable. If it passes Prime95, then it is just a false error and a problem with memtest86.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by chancebozey View Post
                  What kind of failure are you getting? Are there just a few errors or is there are large number or continuos errors? I am getting continuos errors on test #7 in Memtest86 v4.0 and was wondering if you also had the same results.
                  I too am getting continuous errors. They just continue forever and the error results are so many that they scroll faster than I can read.

@GSkill
                  The memory passed the windows memory diagnostic tool but it is not anywhere near as extensive a test as memtest86. Prime95 ran successfully for 15 minutes before I stopped it.

I am still troubleshooting the Memtest86 results with someone from Memtest86 who, as stated above, believes it's a BW issue with the memory which should not occur in a brand new memory module. That type of behavior is expected to occur over time.

Comment

There is no BW issue if Prime95 does not fail. Run that for a couple hours to see if any errors arise. A stress test places your system at 100% load, much more than your daily usage, so there is no way you have BW issues if Prime95 passes many hours.

Just letting you know as we have encountered these issues with memtest86 before, but if you want to keep testing, that's OK too.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks! I'll try the torture test again. Can you recommend any specific settings?

Comment

For the memory, just make sure the frequency, timings, and voltage is correct.

For Prime95, the blend test is best.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sounds great! Thanks!

For F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH I have it set at the following:

7-7-7-21 2T
                          1.5 V

Are those the correct settings for this memory?

Comment

Yes, indeed!

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                            X