Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use these dual channel Sniper sticks in a triple channel config?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use these dual channel Sniper sticks in a triple channel config?

I bought (mistakenly) a dual-channel kit off newegg, and realized my mistake after it shipped. However, the memory is still at a great price point, and I wanted to make sure that I could just purchase another dual channel kit, and use 3 out of the 4 sticks of identical "dual channel" memory in a 12gig triple channel configuration. Also, I'd have a spare stick lying around, in case I want to buy a third pack, for 16 gigs in triple channel DDR3.

That should work, right?

This is the MoBo I plan to purchase: EVGA 132-GT-E768-TR. Is it a "qualified" motherboard for the memory?

Only if the kits are compatible with each other. You can have a kit that does not work well with another kit. This is why we must have pre-matched, tested, guaranteed 8GB, 12GB, 16GB, 24GB kits.

So you can try it, but it is not guaranteed.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Right, so, would you guarantee that the EXACT SAME KIT would work?

Isn't the CAS timing and voltage what determines the compatibility?

Comment

While you can get two identical kits of the same model, it's possible that you can get two sets that just won't play together. It doesn't happen often but it can definitely happen. You'll see instances of it here in the forums because the person has a problem, what you don't see is all the people that plug them in and have no problems at all. I've added additional sets I don't know how many times in doing upgrades for people. Problems you can run into include sets made from different lots of materials, the tolerances and precision that goes into the sticks i.e. things measured to thousandths of an inch, ICs from different lots, etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you! That clears up a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X