Defective RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defective RAM?

Purchased F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL from Newegg.com in December.
    Motherboard is P7P55D with a Core i5 750. Settings are "automatic". It is running at 1.5v, CAS 9-9-9-24, no overclocking, at 1333MHz.
    Previously it was running with F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL since 12/2009 when I assembled the system.

I have been struggling with the F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL modules ever since I received them. It would not run with the existing F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL modules. My intent is to have a total of 12 GB available.

With all four modules installed, the BIOS only showed 6 GB "usable" although it acknowledged 12GB installed. What is that? Every time I booted into my installed OS, Win7 Pro x64, it showed "Installed memory (RAM): 12.0 GB (6.00 GB usable)". This has been maddening! I have four slots, two marked black and two blue (black-blue-black-blue). Whether I arranged the pairs with the two 8GB in blue and the two 2GB in black, or the colors switched, the message was the same. If I put them in single channel only the first two banks were read.

I'm used to RAM just working. I was eventually led to testing it using Memtest 86+ v4.20. The original F3-12800CL9D run perfect and get 100% pass. The new F3-10666CL9D get errors within the first minute. I let it run for 21 hours (wall time) and ended up with 466 errors.

This has been a very frustrating experience. I've never had RAM with errors before. I didn't realize the PC would actually boot and run with it even if it had errors. Up until running Memtest I thought maybe something was configured wrong.

What can be done to fix this?

Thanks,
    -Ray

Send them in for a new kit to see if that works better. The new kit should be error free as well.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

By "send them in" you do mean to request an RMA on the G.Skill site? Just checking.

Comment

Yep, the info and e-mail address is on the site

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X