Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test each module individually at the rated specification.

If you would like to exchange for the matched set, contact the RMA dept. and let them know. There may be an upgrade fee since the 16GB kit costs more.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Test each module individually at the rated specification.

If you would like to exchange for the matched set, contact the RMA dept. and let them know. There may be an upgrade fee since the 16GB kit costs more.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Assuming the upgrade fee isn't too costly, I'd be willing to pay it to ensure a better chance of getting this memory running at stock speeds or even slightly above, assuming I can keep the temperatures reasonable with my cooling options.

I did wonder, however, if this memory is rated as capable of running at a command rate of 1T or not. If not, then I'll go through the process of tweaking voltages again and see if I can gain stability at a 2T setting at the stock speeds (or hopefully a little higher). I'd rather avoid the RMA process if at all possible, but I'm really interested in finding out what this setup is capable of, since the CPU seems more than able to be clocked faster than the 3.995 GHz I've got it running at now.

Thanks!
      -z

Comment

• With two kits, most likely your CPU won't be able to support 1T.

It can do great with CPU frequency overclocking, but the memory controller is something else.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

• HI! Although the current config has given me a better stability on the system, it still freezes
          (1600MHZ - CL9)

CPU Ratio 15X

CPU Voltage AUTO

CPU/NB Voltage 1.15V

DRAM Voltage 1.50V a tried up to 1.60

After a lenghty test both modules resulted in good shaped - no errors at all. I tried DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V and it wasn't any better than the config above.

what can i try next? I appreciate the help!
          ----------------------------------------------
          Phenom II x6 1090T Black Ed.
          Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
          8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL DD3 1600 PC3
          Windows 7 64 bit

Comment

• simple question.
            does this issue with AMD cpu and 1600 ram also apply to ram greater than 1600 say 2000? or 1800?
            and what happens when/if i choose to get this faster ram?
            thanks for your time guys!
            this read has helped alot

Comment

• also will this issue exsist with the new am3+ processors.
              i have a am3+ compatible board and will be upgrading my CPU in about 18 months to the new am3+.
              thanks

Comment

• Does this Ram: F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL
                Http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=353

work with this

motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130274

CPU is Phenom II X6 1100T

or would there be any other ram that'd would work better.
                Last edited by rot; 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• That will work fine as will most of the 1600 sets. At 1600 where you would be most likely to see issues would be with tight CLs i.e. CL7 and CL8 sets.....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• estebanworld,

Did you test modules individually? Send them in for RMA. DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 are fail proof settings, so something must be wrong if that is unstable.

lemonfuzzy,

Yes, of course, it is anything DDR3-1600 and above that requires manual settings. Depending on your CPU, it may only support DDR3-1600, DDR3-1866, DDR3-2000 (Hex Core and Black Edition).
                    Also, full slots reduces capabilities even more. Some people think because their motherboard says 16GB, DDR3-2000, they can run 16GB of DDR3-2000, but that is not the case. The motherboard can support 16GB @ DDR3-1333, and DDR3-2000 of two sticks (if your CPU can support it). So these are limitation that people misunderstand.

You can use faster RAM without a problem, that is why there are standards. Even DDR3-2500 can be used because it will default to DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600. How high of frequency you operate at depends on your overclocking abilities. If your CPU or system can't support the high frequency, or you can't overclock that high, the best thing about memory is you can still benefit from the higher priced chips you purchased. Instead of DDR3-2500 CL9, you can operate them at DDR3-1866 CL6. With memory, you pay for what you get, so even if you accidentally bought something too high of frequency, you can oeprate them at a lower frequency but with lower timings, and that will be much quicker than a cheaper memory at the same frequency. So your money is not gone to waste.

AM3+ will have higher capabilities, but you still need overclocking skills to reach it. ;D

rot,

That memory will work just fine. There is better performance memory, but it depends whether you need or want to pay for the speed.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Trying to verify if I am having the same issue

Hello,

I just found this thread doing a google search on testing memory after sending a G.Skill 4GB kit back to Newegg for replacement.

I was originally running without problems with the following set-up:

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Motherboard - Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H

Memory - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Memory.

I then decided to upgrade my video card and memory with an identical G.Skill 4GB kit to a total of 8GB ram.

Started getting Blue-Screen BSoD errors (Ntsf.sys error) to the point where I couldn't even boot into safe mode. I booted from the windows CD and tried to repair the start-up volume without success. Then tried to reformat the drive and reload windows and would receive the BSoD during each attempt of the install. Finally decided to pull the new memory and try again... Success! (I wish I would have pulled the memory first but I thought I had a driver issue)
                      Assuming that I had bad memory, I sent it back (a replacement is on the way). Are my troubles related to the fix in the first post of this thread? If so, should I set my Bios accordingly prior to installling the new memory or should I install the memory and go directly into the bios to make the changes?

Reading the information in the first post I am assuming that there may have been nothing wrong with the memory I sent back. I wish I had known of this limitation prior to my installation, I could have avoided a lot of frustration.

Comment

• It can be, it can also be that the two kits are not fully coompatible with each other, so these are things you need to test to find out for sure.

At least you know where we are now, so we will definitely make sure your computer operates properly once you receive the memory back.

Feel free to create your own thread to keep track, if needed.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Asus M5a97 mobo
                          Phenom II 1090T 6 core processor.

put in 8g (4gbx2) of 1600 8-8-8-24 ram and my computer recognized it no problem

Comment

• Good afternoon everyone,. im having trouble getting my computer to start with my new gskill memories. When i install them, the computer doesnt even turns on the screen. I need to put my old ocz mem in order to get as far as the BIOS setup.

I have the following configuration:

Asus M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard
                            AMD phenom II 955 black x4
                            G.skill RipjawsX 8gb (2x4gb) 1600

I have read the whole thread, but considering i'm not a tech expert I cant seem to understand much of whats said. Inside my BIOS setup i go to advanced options and into jumperFree configuration. Here it seems that i can change some of the stuff you guys mention i should change, but not all. For example, i cant find the DRAM frequency selector... i did find something similar called Memblock value, but i cant choose 'DRAM-1600'. Options are 400mhz, 533mhz, 667mhz and 800mhz. I tried it in AUTO, 400mhz and 800mhz without results.

I did find the TLC TRCD TRP TRAS inside DRAM timing mode and changed those to what you said (9 9 9 24). I also changed memory overvoltage to 1.5000v .

So, what should i do now?

Thanks in advnace,
                            Bruno

Comment

• Hildegaard,

First, update to the latest BIOS. Older revisions may not fully support 4GB modules.

Second, Memclock value should be 800MHz (DDR3-1600) [DDR is double data rate, so the real frequency 800MHz x 2 = DDR3-1600]

Third, make sure CPU-NB Frequency is 2400MHz

Last, if the system is still unstable, raise VDDNB Overvoltage to 1.20V and everything should be ready to go.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Hello again,

first of all, thank you for taking the time to help me.

I updated the bios like you said and i found another problem. My CPU/NB frequency does not have 2400mhz as an option. Options are 5.0x up to 18.0x (or something like that).

Thanks again
                                Bruno

Comment

Working...
                                X