This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein

I am putting a machine together for the first time, and would like to know if this information would work for these parts.

This is the RAM http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=320

This is the motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130565

The processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103913

Just hoping I didnt screw this up real bad.

Comment

Should work fine, as long as you have some experience in overclocking. Some tweaking may be needed to achieve maximum performance.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Never overclocked before, I was gonna try to use the info on this thread to try to stabilize the system

Comment

A higher voltage kit may be easier to set up, such as F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH or F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

But as always, we will be here to help either way.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I read this sticky before I even received the RAM or put my computer together, so I knew what I was getting into here, but I still have not been able to get my system stable.

Specs:
            Phenom II x6 1090T
            M4A87TD EVO
            F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
            HD103SJ
            EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti
            Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler (stock fan + Scythe "Ultra Kaze" 120mm fan)
            Corsair AX750

Changing the bus to 240 (and clocking the CPU back to stock) results in an extremely unstable system in my case, even with +0.1V on CPU/NB offset and 1.65V on DRAM. Changing the DRAM freq to 1333MHz and lowering latency to 8-8-8-24 2T results in what appears to be a stable system even at stock voltages, BUT when I run prime95 I get errors immediately. Upping voltages to the previously stated settings lets me run prime95 for about 3 minutes before beginning to get errors, but I'm uncomfortable raising them any higher.

Running 1333MHz, CAS 9 at stock voltage appeared to be stable, although I only ran it for about 10 minutes (the best I had gotten so far).

Memtest86 reported hundreds of thousands of errors until I realized I had the wrong version. Two hours later with v4.2, the whole set passed with flying colors at 8-8-8-24, 2T, and 1333MHz. I had +0.0625V on CPU/NB offset and 1.6V DRAM voltage, but I hope that's not important with regard to memtest86. In any case, I don't think the memory is bad; as well as passing memtest86 the system works, I have played Civilization 5 and Metro 2033 even with CAS 7. The issue is the occasional lockup, and prime95 lasting less than five minutes before the rounding errors pop up.

I would be glad to run any other tests as suggested. Not sure what my issue is, and I've tried everything I've seen suggested to get this system stable.

Comment

8GB Kit

Installed the F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM and ran Prime95 for an hour and Battlefield BC2 for 2 hours.

Just wanted to share the BIOS settings on this mobo (ASUS M4A785TD-EVO) with the AMD 785G / SB710 chipset.

On the Jumper Free config page:

- CPU Overclocking = Manual
              CPU /HT Reference Clock = 240

- Memory Timming (yes it is incorrect spelling)
              Memory Clock Mode = Manual
              Memclock Value = 667
              DRAM Timing Mode = Both (hits all slots I guess)
              TCL = 8
              TRCD = 8
              TRP = 8
              TRAS = 24

Everything else left Auto.

This processor is 2.8 GHz and this is the GSkill ram is 2x4GB, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, 8-8-8-24.

I end up with a 3.36GHz CPU, 2400 NB, and 1600 RAM, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V, and CPU-Z says tRC 31 and CR 2T.
              Last edited by mram71; 06-04-2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I found my mistake; I had only recently begun using prime95, and I had previously lowered the CR to 1T, just to see how that would run, and had forgotten about it. When I brought that back to 2T and set timings at 8-8-8-24 and speed at 1333MHz, the system was able to run prime95 for about 12 hours with no issues.

I'm still not convinced that 1333MHz CAS 8 is quite the same performance as 1600MHz CAS 9, but I can't seem to get any more out of this set, so it will have to do!

Comment

Originally posted by mizzle View Post
                  Hello everyone,

Found this thread by reading a response from GSkill on Newegg product review. I wanted to share my experience because the the instructions posted at the beginning worked, but I have some specifics for you all.

Firstly, my setup: Linux Mint 10 x86_64, AMD 1090T, 16GB kit GSkill 1600 CL9 Ripjaw, ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard, Cooler Master 460W power supply.

All 4 sticks were inserted right away, and the ASUS board had them set to 1333 at CL9 with stock voltages. No problems there, booted right up, memtest86 didn't show any errors at all.
                  Had these running perfectly at 1333Mhz and below on mprime (linux version of prime95), but not with 1600Mhz. I could boot the system and run applications fine, but a few benchmarks locked up my computer, and mprime errored out immediately.
                  I tried various settings but couldn't get them stable until I found this thread. So, here's what I have:

HT Ref: 240Mhz
                  Dram Freq: 1600MHz
                  HT Freq: 2000MHz
                  Dram Timing: 9-9-9-24-1T
                  CPU Ratio: 13.5 (3.24Ghz, basically stock)
                  CPU V: 1.40V
                  CPU-NB: 1.45V
                  DRAM: 1.515 V
                  HT: 1.3V
                  NB: 1.4V

Please note, these are the only settings I changed, besides disabling Cool'n'quiet (because of a linux issue), and Turbo Core.
                  On a very IMPORTANT point, don't raise your DRAM Voltage too much; even though I have the full 16GB, anything above the voltage I listed about caused the system to behave erratically; your mileage may vary.

I'm pretty new to O.Cing, but from what I've read, these settings are on the conservative side for the RAM, and there should be plenty of head room to push it further. I have not tinkered with it since I have it stable now, as I'm very happy with the performance.

One last note, the Gskill tech said 1333MHz at CL8 should perform as well as 1600MHz at CL9; while this may be true on some setups, it was not on mine. I'm sure in real world apps, it wouldn't be an issue, but in ramspeed bench mark (phoronix test suite), the 1600MHz settings scored about 15% higher.

Hope this helps you guys!
                  With this information, I was able to get my PC to run the 16GB set at 1600MHz. CPU was clocked to 3.24GHz. It took a lot more tweaking than I feel it really should have, but it appeared to be stable.

My settings:
                  AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
                  CPU Ratio: 13.5 (Essentially stock at 3.24GHz)
                  CPU Bus Frequency: 240
                  DRAM Frequency: 1600MHz
                  Memory Timing: 9-9-9-24, CR 2T
                  CPU Offset Voltage: +0.06875V
                  CPU/NB Offset Voltage: +0.1V
                  DRAM Voltage: 1.525V
                  HT Voltage: 1.3V
                  NB Voltage: 1.15V

Since I have a different chipset (AMD 870 NB) I did have to change a few voltages from those used by mizzle.

I ran 3DMark and PassMark's PerformanceTest 7.0 on my system at 1600MHz, CAS 9 and 1333MHz, CAS 8.

Results (1333-8, 1600-9)
                  3DMark (P4431, P4421)
                  PassMark (2359.4, 2255.6)
                  CPU Mark (6603.5, 6364.6)
                  2D Graphics Mark (429.5, 398.8)
                  3D Graphics Mark (2958.1, 2967.3)
                  Memory Mark (2641.9, 2407.8)

I found it hard to believe the slight change in memory settings made such a big difference, so I ran PassMark twice, and came out with essentially the same results. Clearly for my system 1333MHz, CAS 8 runs much better, with lower voltages as well, than 1600MHz, CAS 9.

Again, I have an AMD Phenom II 1090T, Asus M4A87TD EVO, F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL, EVGA Nvida GTX 560 Ti (01G-P3-1563-AR), and Samsung HD103SJ.

Was surprised by, but satisfied with, these results.

Comment

Sounds like you got a sweet set, every once in awhile you'll come across a set of sticks that just seem to be IT! Those are ones to hang onto.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Hello everyone, I am once again having trouble with my memory, so I hope anyone can help me with my problem before I RMA.

First off, this is my setup:

Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 motherboard
                      AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T @2.8GHZ
                      ULTRA X4 750 POWER SUPPLY

MEMORY : GSKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBSR, 2 KITS OF 2X4GB, FOR A TOTAL OF 16GB, @1600MHZ, 9,9,9,24

I am at my wits end, I have tried every configuration around, and cannot find a long term stable build.

I also have 4 hard drives inside the computer, 2 for data, 1 for OS, and one for virtual machines I use to practice.

I also ran memtest for 2 passes, no errors on all modules, I don't know what else to do, please help!

Comment

• What voltage do you have the DRAM at? What is your CPU/NB and CPU (vCore) voltages?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          What voltage do you have the DRAM at? What is your CPU/NB and CPU (vCore) voltages?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

Comment

• ilbJanissary,

What is your CPU-NB Frequency? It should be 2400MHz for max performance.

boricuacookie,

Did you configure settings like we stated in this thread? It doesn't seem like it, so of course it would not work properly..

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Hi there, I have just purchased the G Skill X series DDR3 1600 RAM and have an ASUS 890X motherboard with the AMD Six-Core Black Edition processor. Will i have to use this method to be able to make the RAM compatible with my setup and once done will the RAM be completely stable?

I also have an after market cpu fan so the overclocking of the CPU probably shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

• The first post in this thread describes the steps to take, once those are done, it may take slight tweaking, normally voltages for full stability, give it a try and if any problems get back to us.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X