This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mram71,

You can change timings to 7-8-7 with 1.60V-1.65V and it should be stable.

CPU-NB Voltage is one setting. For your motherboard, it is the VDDNB OVERVOLTAGE (785 chipset)

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      If you have an AMD CPU motherboard combo, and DDR3-1600 memory, the system should be configured as follows.

There are several ways to reach DDR3-1600, but this is the ideal method:

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

There are many different motherboards and memory, but they require the same changes. If you are unsure of what to change, refer to your motherboard user's manual. It will have more information about each option and its purpose.

If the system is slightly unstable, you may need to raise CPU-NB Voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, so raising this voltage can help with stability. Also, if you are using full slots or attempting any overclocking, raising this voltage can also help with stability.

Once these changes are made in BIOS, your system should be stable. For memory above the standard, majority of the time AUTO default settings will not work, so these settings are required for a perfectly stable system.

For DDR3-1600 CL9 kits, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V and this would be just as fast without needing to overclock the system. These are also good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work, and you need fail-proof settings (without overclocking) to test the memory and make sure they are working properly.

As always, we can assist if you have any difficulties, so feel free to create a post.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      I followed your instructions on both methods and I was not getting a stable configuration, but your advice surely put me on the right path, for full disclosure, please let me state the gear I have:
      • Sniper 4GB DIMM @1600 (4x4GB), model number (F3-12800CL9-4GBSR)
      • ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
      • AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T
      • ULTRA X4 750W PS

So I what I found was when I ran the utility called "CPU-Z", under the SPD tab, I found under the "XMP-1600" column, these stats:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note that the DIMMs were rated on the side stickers at (9.9.9.24).

I entered these timings, under the XMP column, while also doing the suggested over-clocking, and I am now enjoying a supremely stable and fast computer, so I hope this helps out anyone with similar gear to mine, and many thanks to the Gskil team for posting this thread, you guys saved my day, now I can get back to practice with my virtual machines

CPU : 3.4ghz
      Ram: 1600mhz
      Me : happy

I want to make clear that I followed the Overclock method exactly, while entering ALL the SPD settings given by CPU-Z under the XMP column, also the original clock on my CPU was 2.8GHz.

edit: Ran Prime95 for 10 hours straight, no issues, everything is running beautiful, currently running 4 windows server 2008r2, lunix ubuntu, and 2 win7 64bit virtual machines at the same time, no issues at all.
      Last edited by boricuacookie; 05-14-2011, 05:40 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Glad to hear it helped and thanks for sharing with us....keep in touch

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok is this weird? I can't set my voltage to 1.5 on my mobo. Followed the instructions and when I saw in the BIOS it would only go down to 1.6v I was like wtf? So any help would be great. I've tried and tried. I hate that it takes so long to boot to with my raid controller when all I want to do is test the memory haha. Oh well. Hopefully I can get this stable again.
          Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
          AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Black 3.2GHz
          NB 2400 Mhz with +0.1 over volt
          G.Skill 8Gig (4x2GB)DDR3 1600 Dual ch. (running stable with 6BG... one stick bad)
          XFX HD6970 1GIG
          CORSAIR 750tx 750Watt Power Supply
          4 Samsung 1TB hard drives in raid 10
          LG DVDRAM Drive
          Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Comment

Some AMD motherboards are 1.60V minimum, so you can leave it at that. They probably did that to counter some of the DDR3-1600 issues, but 1.60V will be fine for the memory.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

What is weird is you said in a earlier thread that I had going to up it to 1.7V and back then it worked but yeah I've been testing all day with those settings and upping the CPU NB VID by each increment and it seemed to get less and less errors but still would get errors in memtest. How much would I need to up the voltages on the CPU NB VID? Also any other pointers? What about messing with the HT Link Freq?

Actually I just did some thorough testing with each module and memetest. Found out that I possibly have a bad module. I ran Memtest with my second pack of 4Gig and it ran fine on 2 passes of it and then I ran the original 4Gig I bought first and got errors so I tried to narrow it down to memory module and took one out ran the test and it ran fine so took that one out and put the other stick in and got errors instantly with it. All I can think of is this module is a bad one and I'll need to RMA it. BUT my question is this. Since the other module is fine do I still have to send the 2 sticks back? What is the process for this?
              Last edited by Furman; 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM.
              Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
              G.Skill 8Gig (4x2GB)DDR3 1600 Dual ch. (running stable with 6BG... one stick bad)
              XFX HD6970 1GIG
              LG DVDRAM Drive
              Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Comment

Did you already test each module to confirm each stick is error free? For DDR3-1600, CPU-NB Frquency should be 2400MHz. You should not need more than +0.1V to the CPU-NB VID Control.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yeah I tested each module out of the 2x2 gig kit that was giving errors and one passed just fine and the other gave errors instantly in memtest. Now the other kit I have tested just fine. No errors at all.

My specs are this in the BIOS

As you see I didn't need to up my CPUNB Freq. to 2400Mhz to get the memory stable. Right now I have 6 Gigs in it and did memtest and it ran fine with no errors. So I'm under the impression that this one stick is bad and should do an RMA.

Now the only issue I have is when I get into Windows I run prime95 and I got an error on the number 4 core after 4-5 minutes or so. I don't know why I would be getting an error with my CPU as it is fine. I've never had issues with it. Any pointers with this? Or should I go to another forum lol.

Thanks for the help

*EDIT*
                  Just tested with it set to 2400Mhz and bios gave overclock error. So idk why you are saying to put it at 2400Mhz. This was without upping the CPU NB Voltage. Once I pushed the voltage to +0.100 it booted past the Bios. Checking now in Prime95
                  Last edited by Furman; 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM.
                  Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                  XFX HD6970 1GIG
                  LG DVDRAM Drive
                  Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Comment

Keep us informed

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ran Prime95 for 48 minutes and no errors at all. Yeah I know not that long of a stess test but usually with stability you will notice it in the first few minutes if it's stable or not. I will run over night this weekend to test further. To note though this is with 6GB of ram because one stick kept giving errors. I will need to do an RMA on that kit I suppose and get a whole new kit which sucks but oh well ha. Going to game a little before bed and see if I get any BSOD's or crashes. Hopefully not.

*UPDATE*
                      Just ran prime95 for 9 hours and 51 minutes with no errors at all. I would be willing to say it's stable. I'm betting to that it was the root of my BSOD's before I sent my motherboard off even though it needed to be fixed as well. Any pointers on if I should send both sticks back or just the bad one?
                      Last edited by Furman; 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM.
                      Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                      XFX HD6970 1GIG
                      LG DVDRAM Drive
                      Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Comment

Just send the bad one, hopefully the replacement can match without a problem.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

8GB kit

Got F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM on the way. Hopeful to get to 8-8-8-24 at 1600 on M4A785TD-EVO.

Comment

Should be no problem, make sure you have the latest BIOS. Earlier versions do not accept 4GB modules.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I've got 4 x 4GB -F3-10666CL7D8GBXH sticks running solid on a GIGABYTE GA-890FX-UD5, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban (@3.36Ghz) @standard voltage. My 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1333's are running at 1599Mhz @8x8x8x24x1T @standard voltage. This ram rocks on AMD 890FX platforms. It is also rock solid with 16gigs at 1333Mhz @7x7x7x21x1T @standard voltage.

Obviously I'm a G.Skill customer for life now . G.Skill should advertise that the F3-10666CL7D8GBXH ram kits rock on AMD 890FX platforms.
                              ======The Sleeper has awakened=================

GIGABYTE GA-890FX-UD5, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban (@3.36Ghz) @standard voltage 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 @1599Mhz @8x8x8x24x1T @standard voltage, WD VelociRaptors 6.0Gps (2*450GB) in Raid 0) and 5(SATA 3) HDs 10 Tera Bytes total, Radeon HD 5970 stock clocks

Comment

Thank you for this information. That is what I usually recommend people. Easy to set up, great overclocking potential, low latency and voltage, perfect for AMD systems.

Thank you
                                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X