This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm New

Hey guys fixing to build my new computer this is what I'm going to purchase just want to know if I'm going to have any problems with the ram

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131647

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

Rosewill RFA-80-WL 80mm 4 White LEDs LED Case Fan

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
      I do agree with this.

And sigh.. I am more venting some thoughts here.. as I am experiencing this..(ironically I am a very very anti M$ kind of bloke normally ;p) but I can't help but feelign perplexed by this:

stable under all the necessary tests and as a 24/7 system about to go out to customer it has been as expected , no bsod's no erratic behaviour (bar the expected issues with CCC and sleep/hibernation in windows).

4.1 on air , cores @ sub 20 during winter time here with no extra fans in case, and only during torture tests during OC phase, did I hit 40s..

BUT that silly WEI still only gives my RAM 5.9 in the score... ripjaws running at
      1600 MHz @ 1.64 V , CL8.. why on earth is it not in the 6.X at least lol... I know some others have had even 7.2 I believe with these.. seriously... is there something I am missing? :/

I run the cpu-nb @ 2.8 GHz! (HT ~ 1.9 GHz). .. what .. am I really losing that much on HT boost to stability? I mean , I do not really want to risk any loss in stability as that is what I do for a living (custom solutions often with OC guarantees) but since this is my first g-skill kit (and as I experessed I love their *stability*) I still am getting a tad perplexed on the score... it doesn't look good when that is the limiting factor :/ (well also the HD 3300 when I remove the dedicated gfx but you get my point).

On the memmaxx2 test thing on high priority I get copy: 14ish GB, read 10.8ish, 9.3ish write and erm 50ish latency and about 10ish GB on 'score'

sigh.. any ideas , thoughts, explanations with regards to the WEI?

I personally didn't give a rat's ar*e but kinda looks silly when I forgot about this and told the customer it's 6.9 earlier lol
      Yeah.....WEI is garbage.

Comment

16GB not working with my system...

I have 4x4GB DDR3 1600 Rip Jaw. When I am using 2 sticks, system is stable at 1600. When I put 3 sticks in, system becomes unstable, and when all 4 are put in, system gives BSOD right after POST. However, I can use all 4 if I drop RAM frequency to 1333. Please help!

System:
        AMD 1055T no overclocking.
        ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
        Rip Jaw DDR3 4x4GB
        750W OCZ power supply

Comment

Yes, the easiest way is to drop DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333 and lower timings, but your hardware can support full slots. You need to set it up as the guide stated, then raise your CPU-NB Voltage to 1.20V, and that should stabilize your memory.

Also, let us know specifically which kit you have, that would help. Make sure you have the latest BIOS too.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Yes, the easiest way is to drop DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333 and lower timings, but your hardware can support full slots. You need to set it up as the guide stated, then raise your CPU-NB Voltage to 1.20V, and that should stabilize your memory.

Also, let us know specifically which kit you have, that would help. Make sure you have the latest BIOS too.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            I have the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL). I bought 2 of the 2x4GB kit. I tried to overclock as the guide indicated, and increased CPU voltage by 0.25v, but I still couldn't get the OS to load before it crashes. I guess I'll just run at 1333 and use lower timings. RAM size matters more to me than speed, and I believe the RAM produces less heat at 1333.

Comment

You should raise CPU-NB Voltage, not CPU VCore.

For DDR3-1333, use 8-8-8-24 timings. Yes, it would produce less heat as well.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working 16GB @ 1600

Hello everyone,

Found this thread by reading a response from GSkill on Newegg product review. I wanted to share my experience because the the instructions posted at the beginning worked, but I have some specifics for you all.

Firstly, my setup: Linux Mint 10 x86_64, AMD 1090T, 16GB kit GSkill 1600 CL9 Ripjaw, ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard, Cooler Master 460W power supply.

All 4 sticks were inserted right away, and the ASUS board had them set to 1333 at CL9 with stock voltages. No problems there, booted right up, memtest86 didn't show any errors at all.
                Had these running perfectly at 1333Mhz and below on mprime (linux version of prime95), but not with 1600Mhz. I could boot the system and run applications fine, but a few benchmarks locked up my computer, and mprime errored out immediately.
                I tried various settings but couldn't get them stable until I found this thread. So, here's what I have:

HT Ref: 240Mhz
                Dram Freq: 1600MHz
                HT Freq: 2000MHz
                Dram Timing: 9-9-9-24-1T
                CPU Ratio: 13.5 (3.24Ghz, basically stock)
                CPU V: 1.40V
                CPU-NB: 1.45V
                DRAM: 1.515 V
                HT: 1.3V
                NB: 1.4V

Please note, these are the only settings I changed, besides disabling Cool'n'quiet (because of a linux issue), and Turbo Core.
                On a very IMPORTANT point, don't raise your DRAM Voltage too much; even though I have the full 16GB, anything above the voltage I listed about caused the system to behave erratically; your mileage may vary.

I'm pretty new to O.Cing, but from what I've read, these settings are on the conservative side for the RAM, and there should be plenty of head room to push it further. I have not tinkered with it since I have it stable now, as I'm very happy with the performance.

One last note, the Gskill tech said 1333MHz at CL8 should perform as well as 1600MHz at CL9; while this may be true on some setups, it was not on mine. I'm sure in real world apps, it wouldn't be an issue, but in ramspeed bench mark (phoronix test suite), the 1600MHz settings scored about 15% higher.

Hope this helps you guys!

Comment

Appreciate the input, the performance diff between 1333/CL8 and 1600/CL9 can vary widely depending on mobo and BIOS, and as shown here can best be seen w/ benchmark software. Another thing would be you could try them at 1333/CL7 which may/may not work but would tighten things even more....sort of depends on the time you have to play w/ them

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

@ Tradesman

Yeah, that's what I kind of figured, which is why I said 'this may be true on some setups.' Just wanted to let everyone know that I did in fact get a 16gig kit working as advertised with the help of the original post, and the voltages I listed; I've seen a few people here and elsewhere having a difficult time, so I figured the real-world setup would be nice to see; I know I would have used it, lol!

Comment

i have 2x2g GBRL and i tried to the timings ddr3 1333 8 8 8 24 1t with all other setting set to auto did i make mistake so far i didn't notice anything wrong or change. How will i check if its stable?

Comment

You could run Prime or one of the other torture tests out there or just keep using the system, if getting a number or even occasion BSODs for no reason it's time to take a closer look

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

everything is fine but i notice some slowdown when opening application it turn black and then show the application i open, before when i open application or switch form each application its instant. I tried testing the 8 8 8 24 with memtest86 ecc disable for 2hrs all okey no error.

AMD 1090t BE
                          Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
                          G.Skill 4g F3-12800cl9-2gbrl
                          G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60g

can you please take a look at my bios maybe you can help me run my memory at 1600 with tight timings or normal 9 9 9 24, the last time i tried setting it my pc wont boot.

what should i change? Thanks & belated Happy Mothers Day!!

Comment

You did not follow the directions on the first post!

Read it, make the changes, and that will solve your problem.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

1. I set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333

2. Dont know where to find CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 and also dont want to OC my 1090t BE yet any tips

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated fo

sorry i just dont want to set something wrong that why i show my bios so you can see what i should change and which i should set to auto or manual.

Thanks
                              Last edited by xSephirothGx; 05-11-2011, 05:53 AM.

Comment

M4A785TD-V EVO / Phenom II X3 720

Just wanted to share the BIOS settings on this mobo with the AMD 785G / SB710 chipset.

On the Jumper Free config page:

- CPU Overclocking = Manual
                                CPU /HT Reference Clock = 240

- Memory Timming (yes it is incorrect spelling)
                                Memory Clock Mode = Manual
                                Memclock Value = 667
                                DRAM Timing Mode = Both (hits all slots I guess)
                                TCL = 8
                                TRCD = 8
                                TRP = 8
                                TRAS = 24

Everything else left Auto.

This processor is 2.8 GHz and this is the GSkill ram is 2x2GB, F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM, 7-8-7-24.

I end up with a 3.36GHz CPU, 2400 NB, and 1600 RAM, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V, and CPU-Z says 2T.

I suppose this RAM is spec up to 1.65V as well so I am probably leaving some performance (7-8-7) on the table if I wanted to get into individual CPU changes / voltage bumps. If anyone has any input there I would love to hear it.

One question - when we are talking about raising the CPU-NB voltage, are we talking about 2 different settings, or just the NB? For example, this BIOS has CPU OVERVOLTAGE and VDDNB OVERVOLTAGE. I am assuming to raise just the VDDNB voltage.
                                Last edited by mram71; 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X