X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computational speed

Solar,

I appreciate the response. The memory indicated it was designed for the P55 chipset and I had no idea what that was.

I am an engineer and need to increase the calculation speed of my computer - perform a large analysis that requires significant memory and IO to hard disk as well as computational analysis. By running test cases, I have found that the RAM and hard disk IO limit the computational time of the analysis.

With an AMD 1055T on an ASUS MSQ-M4N68T-MV2(B) motherboard that has 1333 9-9-9-24 memory and a 7200 rpm hard drive, what is the best way, if at all, to increase performance? The computation appears to be limited by IO with RAM and hard drive. Can I significantly increase speed with faster memory or an SSD?

Thank you,

NonTechie

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
      Yes, you can always set a lower speed on a kit.

You could of bought a lower speed kit but it doesn't matter if you have a 1600 one. In fact, by running a kit on lower speed means yo ushould be able to run it with lower timings, which is pretty much the same thing.

As I mentioned above.. take 1333/7 and 1600 / 8 will give you perfomance ratios of 195 and 200 respectively.. kinda the same thing.
      Thank you. I'll try setting my 1600 memory to those settings and pray that it fixes my blue screen crash problems. I tried the method you mentioned of over clocking the cpu, but my computer will not boot up with those settings, so im going with your other suggestion of lowering the frequency. I wish i would have done more research on this memory before i purchased it. Getting this system to run stable with this kit has been a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by nontechie View Post
        Solar,

I appreciate the response. The memory indicated it was designed for the P55 chipset and I had no idea what that was.

I am an engineer and need to increase the calculation speed of my computer - perform a large analysis that requires significant memory and IO to hard disk as well as computational analysis. By running test cases, I have found that the RAM and hard disk IO limit the computational time of the analysis.

With an AMD 1055T on an ASUS MSQ-M4N68T-MV2(B) motherboard that has 1333 9-9-9-24 memory and a 7200 rpm hard drive, what is the best way, if at all, to increase performance? The computation appears to be limited by IO with RAM and hard drive. Can I significantly increase speed with faster memory or an SSD?

Thank you,

NonTechie
        Hi there nontechie.. sure you can.

Well , if on current hardware, what I do is set up a 'scrath directory'(working directory) on a RAM drive... but obviously the data there is limited to the size of the ramdrive.. Say you have the 7200 rpm drive , which is , quite frankly , the good old hog of a bottleneck
        Biut you compile data or run data sets which are no larger during runtime than say 6 GB. Then you can when you wish to only do this and assuming you have 8 GB in this case: make a 6 GB ramdrive and still have 2 GB for the OS... during IO on the ramdisk, it will be on ram speeds aka ~ 30 times faster than if IO on your disk... so let's say y0our comp on nithromethane (which not only do machiens speed up by, but is also used in the production of some centrally stimulating drugs haha).
        Right, back on topic:

If you have however too large a data set to do this, you still can see if you can move some IO onto a ramdisk.. in linux you just easily make on.. on windows.. erm there are some free ones... or cheap, an engineer doesn't have too much worries about another 50 dollars or so eh? I forgot the title at the moment but a little googling and reading will get you started

Changing your memory settings etc. in all honesty will *not* do much, as main IO bottlenecking will be your disk.

Now... replacing or adding a SSD for sure makes a HUGE difference yes Both on OS + data set.

I recommend due to some issues on JMicron controllers to go for the intel-v or intel-m is it? SSD I forgot or the OCZ Vertex 2. They both are updated .. seriously do not buy the wrong chip on these! I am a bit rusty on which ones it was but I an be willing to give you performance layouts perhaps if you -email me or so. PM me your e-mail and perhaps we can look deeper into your needs.

Ok, ah yes.. .soif your RAM is limiting.. you mean it's size? Then yes, you will have to increase it.

From the sounds of it, I would recommend 8-16 GB 1600 MHz min, CL 7 timings as advertised. Then set up a ram drive, and if you have the budget, add the SSD (I can give you the two main ones which are best on performance/cost ratio) and ifnally.. I would strongly recommend to move over to linux for such computational analysis unless you have a specific software signtaure which is windows only.

Which budgets do you have.. or is it mainly sticking to what you have? If so.. then ye, it is the ram drive which can save you.. but yo uprobably would have to partition your data up if you can. Finally, if you have a similar spindle disk.. say another 7200 pm , preferrably with same buffer!, then you can set them up in RAID 0 which will help on throughput.

NOTE! Raid 0 diminishes data persistence due to increased chance of failure! (However, this is not really an issue a slong as you don't keep critical data on the raid 0 volumes).

solar

Comment

Originally posted by ratm1221 View Post
          Thank you. I'll try setting my 1600 memory to those settings and pray that it fixes my blue screen crash problems. I tried the method you mentioned of over clocking the cpu, but my computer will not boot up with those settings, so im going with your other suggestion of lowering the frequency. I wish i would have done more research on this memory before i purchased it. Getting this system to run stable with this kit has been a nightmare.
          hmm ratm, I was just making examples to show a arbitrarily relative measure of performance index.

Let's see.. what is your problem? G skill, or others (or I) can help ya .. sorry I missed what your problem is and the cpu stuff. Do you mind repeating your actual problem as I only get these posts in e-mail and kinda do not know what is going on always

Comment

Ah yes.. yup, try that.. you can also even try and set the main timings to 7 too.. if it won't work, you can try and bump up the voltage a tad (if 1.5V is the norm, try something like 1.54 or 1.6V but no more than 10% increase unless you know what you're doing ;p).

But it really doesn't do much so if you do not want to push your system in fear of instability or damage, CL8 is still okay.

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
              hmm ratm, I was just making examples to show a arbitrarily relative measure of performance index.

Let's see.. what is your problem? G skill, or others (or I) can help ya .. sorry I missed what your problem is and the cpu stuff. Do you mind repeating your actual problem as I only get these posts in e-mail and kinda do not know what is going on always
              The issues I'm having are constant blue screens and decided its definitely an issue with the memory. I originally tried the overclock method from the thread with the suggested settings, but computer wouldnt boot so i had to pull the motherboard battery. I went with the setup that doesnt require overclocking instead. Which voltage are you suggesting increasing?

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
              ASUS M4A77TD Motherboard
              8x2gb G Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
              Radeon HD 5700 Video Card
              AMD Athlon II X4 2.8GHz

Comment

hmm. you do know that BSOD's are not at all necessarily anything wrong with hardware, it just is in a configuration which is useless. Did you have your system stsble at stock settings? What are you attempting to do, overclock or just get stable memory? Depending on the motherboard, you can opt to try a different ratio (4:1) instead of 240 bus. It makes memory more stable with a successful 240 ht. ref than ratio, BUT this should of been mainly recommended on non-'auto' settings.

With 4 sticks and your cpu, the memory controller is quite stressed, so to overclock it with 4 sticks ain't always the best idea and better to perhaps run it at 1333. Do you know which revision you have off your cpu?

Also, what PSU do yiou have? model , brand, specs?

Comment

Thanks!

Solar,

I appreciate your help. I will order the memory - the RAM drive is an excellent approach now that I have read about them a bit. I will also get an SSD - after looking briefly at them, many have slow write speeds compared to read. A few have higher read speeds, particularly sequencial which is what the code does. I will post again when I get the memory to possibly get help installing it as I have very rarely opened a computer box and have never worked on one.

Again, thank you for the help,

NonTechie

Comment

Okidokie. Let me please implore you to not just run off and buy a SSD.. they are great disks but there was a great mistake done by JMicron in the past which is still present on a lot of the SSD's could you tell me which one's you are looking at?

I will take a moment out and let you know if it is a good buy. You see buying the wrong one, and you might as well have just bought yourself a xmas tree and put in to be honest

Comment

The Sandforce 1200 chip is good.

If you want to keep it an honest budget, perhaps 2 x OCZ Vertex 2 40 GB in RAID 0, an extended vertex 2 (60) GB (but then it won't be RAID 0), or INtel X25-V/M .

V is 'value'but it holds his own and I can safely recommend it. The M chip if you can afford it however, is the good ol'flagship of current SSD tchnology. I see on my lists, G-Skill have SSD's but with all due respect, I only can refer to the data sheets I have myself explored and analysed and dare not comment on those.

But ye, a 200 euro (in my country) perhaps ~200 dollars in US? (you big wasters you! ;p) , then a RAID 0 with the Vertices 2 is as good a layaman's home solution for a analysis workstation you can get imo.

Indeed, the two bottlenecks you mention in your needs is typically solved by SSD + quantity RAM. As we say, the small timing steps and frequency jumps do not really measure up to actual raw RAM size, especially when utilised in RAM drives (which is second nature on a linux box). I truly feel sorry about the mass delusions, microsoft lobbying has incurred upon the planet when it comes to the use of the microsoft operative system

Good luck.

Let me know how it pans out, should you wish.

Comment

Let's just add it here straight away: do not go near JMicron's JMF60XX chips, not even with a burning stick! This does not expand nor include all JMicron's chips. But that will keep you safe enough for now.

Comment

Help with bios setting for g.skill DDR3-1600

Help with bios setting for g.skill DDR3-1600

Got a MSI 870a-G54 with a phenom 2 x3 720 BE -Memory G.skill 2048MB x2 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
                          IVE Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333
                          Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24
                          Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V
                          Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 And i get 1600Mhz it start to load into windows and then it freezes and nothing happens got to restart and lower the CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 230 and it loads ok any ideas how set it to 240 and run ok

Comment

Raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V and it should be stable.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V and it should be stable

Thanks for the reply i alterd the CPU-NB V to 1.220v still no good but if i load default setting and alter the FSB/DRAM Ratio to 1.4 it comes up a Dram 1600Mhz and it loads
                              but not stable after a while it freezes?

current bios setting seems to be ok
                              CPU/FSB 235
                              DRAM Frequency 1567Mhz
                              CPU-NB V1.220
                              HT 2350 MHz

Comment

What is DRAM Voltage? Try 1.55V or 1.60V.

Thank you
                                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X