This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin,

Thanks for the tip. I set my NB frequency to 2400MHz, and ran benchmarks once again. I believe the "Auto" setting had the NB at 2000MHz. The results, as one would expect, seem to show that 2400MHz yields better results than 2000MHz, but 1333/8 still performed significantly better on my system than 1600/9.

On passmark's tests, 1600/9 seems to yield marginally better results on 3D performance, but 1333/8 performs better on every other test. Still, raising the NB frequency to 2400MHz should help in both situations.

Comment

• might try the sticks at 1600 with a loose CL8, i.e. 8-9-9-26 or so and see if they'll run at that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• g.skill G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL turns out to be 1333Mhz

Hey all,

I've recently (3 months ago) built a new gaming rig with the following specs:

Motherboard
        CPU Type HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T, 3600 MHz (18 x 200)
        Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair IV Formula
        Motherboard Chipset AMD 890FX, AMD K10
        System Memory 16384 MB (DDR3 SDRAM)
        DIMM1: G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL 4 GB DDR3‐1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8‐8‐8‐22 @ 609 MHz) (7‐7‐
        7‐20 @ 533 MHz) (6‐6‐6‐17 @ 457 MHz)
        DIMM2: G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL 4 GB DDR3‐1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8‐8‐8‐22 @ 609 MHz) (7‐7‐
        7‐20 @ 533 MHz) (6‐6‐6‐17 @ 457 MHz)
        DIMM3: G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL 4 GB DDR3‐1600 DDR3 SDRAM (9‐9‐9‐28 @ 800 MHz) (8‐8‐
        8‐25 @ 711 MHz) (7‐7‐7‐22 @ 622 MHz)
        DIMM4: G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL 4 GB DDR3‐1600 DDR3 SDRAM (9‐9‐9‐28 @ 800 MHz) (8‐8‐
        8‐25 @ 711 MHz) (7‐7‐7‐22 @ 622 MHz)
        BIOS Type AMI (12/09/10)

At first I had it running with one G.skill ripjaws 8Gb kit and decided 2 days ago, to get another (exact same) one. After I had popped in the new DIMMs, all apps (games etc.) would crash without error message. Running diagnostics (Aida64 extreme edition; CPU-z) it turns out the first kit I had bought was actually a PC 10700 1333Mhz kit, even though the package as well as the warranty label on the sticks explicitly says G Skill F3‐12800CL9‐4GBRL 4 GB DDR3‐1600.
        You can tell from the Aida readings above that not only were the old and the new kit running on different speeds and timings, but the sticks apparently have different physical properties (also see the CPU-z readings here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...readings1.png/ )

I had the BIOS set to 1600 Mhz dram frequency and 9-9-9-24 latencies on 1.6 V. This led to the problems described above. Now I have it stable at 1333Mhz. So far so good. But that's not what I paid for. How can it be that I buy a RAM kit explicitly marked 1600 MHz, which pysically is NOT what it's supposed to be???

Irritated,
        Novice
        Last edited by Novice; 06-19-2011, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Ripjaw x RAM with AMD processor

hey guys. i just bought 8gigs of GSkill Ripjaw X series DDR3 1600 memory. I have an ASUS M5A88-V motherboard with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE processor. this is my first computer build so its all pretty new to me. I don't really have any desire to overclock my CPU but I saw on this forum that I may have to do that to get the full 1600 speed from my memory. can anyone confirm this in regards to my motherboard? and if so, how exactly do i go about overclocking so i can get the most out of my memory? Thanks.

mobo link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131733
          RAM link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445

Comment

• The basic instructions are at the beginning of this thread, try those then get back if problems, with the 955 may need to increase the CPU/NB and the DRAM voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Need help with stability

I currently have the following:

-MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
              -AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor DX840WFGMBOX

Along with 2 kits of 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

I have tried unsuccessfully to get my computer to run stable with the settings described in the first message of this thread, and tweaked my voltages (DRAM, CPU-NB, and CPU) as much as I feel comfortable with on a very nicely laid out air-cooled system. My temps stay very reasonable under load, so I don't feel that temps are the issue, only insufficient voltages, or defective RAM that simply cannot run at the stated speeds with reasonable voltages. Before I seek an RMA, however, I'd like to find out what would be safe to try, or if I should just give up and seek some good DDR3 1333 settings. I might be okay with the latter, but I'd really like these to perform to spec, since that's what I paid for and expected when I bought them. I'd also like to note that one of the four modules DID have the heatsink detach while inserting it, but I realigned it identical to the other three modules and applied firm pressure to get it to reattach. It seems fine now, but I thought I should mention it. Please let me know how much leeway I have for tweaking voltages to try and achieve DDR3 1600.

Thanks!
              -z

Comment

• You can try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V.

If you have issues, test one module at a time. These are fail proof settings, so if this does not work, there may be a problem with your kit.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  You can try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V.

If you have issues, test one module at a time. These are fail proof settings, so if this does not work, there may be a problem with your kit.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  I've got them running at that setting currently, and they run fine with those settings. The problem is they won't run at 9-9-9-24 @1.50V as DDR3-1600. I know some small tweaking is often needed to get the memory running at those speeds, but I haven't found anything in a "reasonable" range that will get that memory running properly. I was hoping to get some idea of how high I can safely go on the various voltage settings, and which would improve stability, if all I'm trying to do is run at stock settings at the rated speeds of my CPU and RAM.

Thanks!
                  -z

Comment

• You should be able to stabilize DDR3-1600 with this guide.

Try it again, if unstable, you can try DRAM Voltage 1.550V and CPU-NB Voltage 1.15V and it should not have a problem.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

You should be able to stabilize DDR3-1600 with this guide.

Try it again, if unstable, you can try DRAM Voltage 1.550V and CPU-NB Voltage 1.15V and it should not have a problem.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      Okay, I've got it at DDR3-1600, with 9-9-9-24-2T settings, at 1.567V, the CPU NB is 1.295V and the CPU is at 1.375V. This is at stock CPU settings (3.2GHz). If I wanted to change the HT Ref to 240 instead of 200 and up my CPU speed, what all would have to be raised to make my system stable? I feel I have enough cooling to run the CPU at 3.84GHz, but the system still seems pretty unstable at that speed, and I'm wondering if it's just a limitation of the CPU, or if I need so much more voltage to do this that I'm not willing to set it that high to achieve stability. The last thing I want to do is burn up my memory, mobo, or CPU!

Thanks again,
                      -z

Edit: Ok, I found out my limiting factor is most likely my CPU. It's a pretty low-end one, not particularly good at OCing, and it's rare to get one that is stable much past around 235 HT ref. clock, so I'm going to just stick with my 9-9-9-24-1T settings at DDR3-1560. I figure any limitations past that are due to CPU issues, not the RAM, and even if it were the RAM, I could only test it by accepting a lower CPU speed. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether it's better to run a 3.2GHz CPU and DDR3-1600, or a 3.744GHz CPU and DDR3-1560 RAM, so if someone can tell me if there's any benefit to either, I'd appreciate it! Thanks! Oh, and voltages are: CPU 1.43V, DRAM 1.58V, CPU NB 1.195V. Seems okay for a stable system, right?

-z
                      Last edited by zmonkey; 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM. Reason: Found out limiting factor

Comment

• If you are using Ref Clock 200, make sure NB Frequency is 2400MHz. When you raise the Ref Clock, it will automatically raise the NB Frequency. This is why we suggest the Ref Clock 240 method.

Of your two settings, the higher CPU frequency should be better.

Ref Clock is fine being higher, you just need to lower CPU Ratio to what your CPU can support. Adding CPU VCore is what stabilizes your CPU overclock.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Hi,

I just installed the new Crosshair V motherboard and 16GB of G.Skill 1600mhz ram and I am having some issues.

I had quite a few BSOD issues with all the RAM installed, and I've currently only got 3 out of 4 sticks in, but the system is running fine. Whenever I install the fourth stick it starts to randomly give me BSODs.

I did a Memtest+ with the three installed sticks and nothing popped up in the first five minutes or so, but as soon as I throw in the fourth stick and run the test it starts to get a ton of errors.

Should I assume I just got a bad stick?

Comment

• Try running memtest on each stick individually to see if a sticks bad....if all are good may try raising CPU/NB by .07 or so and/or raise DRAM voltage .05

Tman

Comment

If you are using Ref Clock 200, make sure NB Frequency is 2400MHz. When you raise the Ref Clock, it will automatically raise the NB Frequency. This is why we suggest the Ref Clock 240 method.

Of your two settings, the higher CPU frequency should be better.

Ref Clock is fine being higher, you just need to lower CPU Ratio to what your CPU can support. Adding CPU VCore is what stabilizes your CPU overclock.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH
                              Thanks very much! I'm happy with my stability, temperatures, and the overall speed of the system. I have no doubt that, were I to get a more robust AMD chip for this motherboard in the future, this memory would scale up nicely.

-z

Comment

• I am still having issues getting my 16GB of 1600MHZ ram to work in my Crosshair V motherboard. I have tried the suggested settings and I am still unable to get it to work correctly. I tested all the RAM sticks and they were all good and I am able to run the system fine at 1333MHZ, so I think it's just a setup issue as opposed to a hardware issue.

Do you guys have any settings for:

Crosshair V
                                AMD 1090T - stock clock
                                16GB Ripjaws X 1600MHZ ram

Comment

Working...
                                X