X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradesman
    replied
    Not to my knowledge, the 965 was the first that could fairly reliably handle 1600, some of them couldn't and there have been a few that are exceptional and can do 1866+. Haven't seen or read of many 955s that are that strong, sorry

Leave a comment:

• Alteris
    replied
    What about a C3 955BE ? That's what I have in the system atm. I'll try the changes to the voltages an hope that fixes it lols.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    May need to add voltage to the CPU/NB and or DRAM to try. Might also be your 955 could handle 4GB of 1600 but not 8GB (I normally suggest at least a 965 Rev C3 for 1600). There's a thread to help set up 1600 sticks here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

If no luck with the above, may want to try dropping to 1333

Leave a comment:

• Alteris
    replied
    I recently bought a set of this ram *F3-1600C8D-8GAB* from newegg.com, and pretty much ever since I have used it I have been plagued with random BSODs, how ever I ran both sticks for 10 hours in memtest86 with no errors ? Is it still possible that the ram is at fault even after testing it ?

My current system configuration.

Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.9GHz @ v1.3875 *Has been stable at that setting for over a year* Also it never go's past 110F unless playing a CPU heavy game or encoding video
    ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 *Bios Version v2.00*
    Gigabyte HD4890OC 1GB, same as the CPU I rarely see it hit 130F in heavy use.
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is this Ares ram Actually compatible with my ASRock board ? or is there a specific setting in the Bios I need to use to get is stable if that's the case ? *Most likely*

In the system at the moment is a set of ECO Cas 7 memory that I have had for over a year with no issues.
    F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
    So far, for 4 days I have not had a BSOD, so I'm thinking that the new Ares set is defective in some way just that memtest86 was unable to find any errors ? Or that there is a specific setting I need to use to get it stable in the system.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Again no problem, like to help out and it helps keep me up to date on all the components out there and how they play together (or don't )

Leave a comment:

• danny275
    replied
    Happy to report everything seems fine

At least I know where to come if anything goes awry

Thanks for all your help, Tradesman

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Yep, we'll be here

Leave a comment:

• danny275
    replied
    My RAM (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL) finally came

I take it I just follow the instructions in the first post and then report back if there's any problems?

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Stryker7 and Techmeister,

Always glad to have more old timers around, I started back in 1980 on mainframes, moved into minis and PCs about the same time in 83.

Leave a comment:

• Techmeister
    replied
    Welcome Stryker 7

Welcome to the forum. G.Skill has been around for quite awhile but has become more prominent as PC OC'ing becomes easier and more mainstream.

It's worth noting that all of the DRAM makers other than Micron/Samsung, buy their ICs from the (8) IC makers that currently exist and then they speed bin them. Minor differences in PCB and speed binning can account for variations in mobo compatibility of DRAM. Overclockability of CPU/RAM is dependent on a number of variable including the mobo, CPU, RAM, speed binning, the BIOS and the BIOS settings. Customer support and warranty is what differentiates most commodity product businesses these days, as prices are very similar.

The days of the "486" CPU are a ways back in time but there are folks still active on forums back when punch cards were used for computers... My PC efforts started with the 286 model CPUs so we aren't too far apart in our PC building adventures.

Leave a comment:

• Stryker7
    replied
    Registered just to say .....

Hello to all,

This is my first post here. As a matrer of fact, I registered, just to say thank you. Althoug the information I was seeking is now a mute point, I found exactly what I was looking for.

Since this is my first post, I will tell you this. I have been for many years, using High Performance RAM from another company "that shall not be named".

I have been watching over the last few years, on forums about PC hardware, over-clocking, and general PC info. I have noticed a common theme.

GSkills RAM has taken over the High Performance RAM market. So when I started looking at parts for my new PC build, I came here.

I am about to build a budget PC, but a budget build does not have to be a low end PC. IF you take your time, put together quality components, you can have a PC that will compete with more the expensive.

I am glad to be a part of your community, and I am looking to help where and when I can.

Last note, to get an idea as to how long I have been building my own PCs, and many more for others, this was the CPU for my very first build.

http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l...=AMD&l2=486+DX

scroll down to the AMD A80486DX-40 with the Windows Logo.

And as I recall, 8 MB of RAM cost me close to $150.

Leave a comment:

• Techmeister
    replied
    CPU-NB Frequency on AMD CPUs

It's worth noting that the many AMD CPUs will run the CPU-NB frequency @ 2400-2600 MHz. but not 2800+ MHz. IME. The reason I mention this is that in the first post of this thread it states that you should always run the CPU-NB @ 3x the RAM true frequency. This is fine up to a true RAM frequency of ~800 MHz. or 1600 MHz. effective (advertised) frequency, with double data rate RAM, (DDR3). With faster RAM like 1866+ MHz. advertised and true frequency of 933 MHz., you can not run the AMD CPU-NB at this frequency, but it will typically work just fine at 2400-2600 MHz. regardless of the RAM frequency.

For those who like to overclock, a (1) or (2) DIMM set-up is easier on the IMC and often will allow higher frequencies compared to (4) DIMMs. 2x 4GB. is typically the best deal at the moment and this meets the needs of most people. If you need more than 8GB. and your mobo supports it, 2x 8GB. would be preferred over 4x 4GB. - if you are looking to run the RAM/CPU at the highest frequencies. Each system is different so when it comes to overclocking, you get what you get. The more effort and logical approach you use, typically the better the outcome.
    Last edited by Techmeister; 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    No problem, like I said let us know when you get the sticks

Leave a comment:

• danny275
    replied
    Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
    I think that would be a good choice Let us know when you get them going.
    Thank a lot for your help. Would have been lost otherwise

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    I think that would be a good choice Let us know when you get them going.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X