Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Setting HT Link Frequency to 2400MHz seems to have solved the freezing issue. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

• No problem, glad to hear all is better

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• @Tradesman I guess I spoke to soon it froze again after running stable for a couple days, I'll just run it @ default bios settings 1600mhz @ 11-11-11-27 timing.

Comment

• Did you try 1333, 9-9-9-24?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Did you try 1333, 9-9-9-24?
            Nah i haven't tried that setting, should i leave all setting in bios on auto including the cpu/nb frequency when i set the ram to 1333, 9-9-9-24.

Comment

• Yep leave the rest as is, if it runs stable it will be faster than the 1600 at CL11

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                Yep leave the rest as is, if it runs stable it will be faster than the 1600 at CL11
                Thanks tradesman I'll keep you posted let's hope it doesn't freeze again, keeping my fingers crossed

Comment

• I'll be around

Tman

Comment

• On the memory timings issue, here's what I've found with my G.SKILL CL9 1600 memory:

9-9-9-28-37 (the JEDEC 800 MHz spec settings) works more reliably than the 9-9-9-24 spec setting, particularly with overclocking. Note you need to explicitly set that last "37" (Bank Cycle Time, tRC) setting in your bios.

For more relaxed timings in connection with overclocking, I've also found the following to be both reliable and stable:
                    9-10-9-28-37
                    10-10-10-30-40

Maybe this will help with any further timing issues.

__
                    Last edited by nymnym; 07-05-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nymnym View Post
                      On the memory timings issue, here's what I've found with my G.SKILL CL9 1600 memory:

9-9-9-28-37 (the JEDEC 800 MHz spec settings) works more reliably than the 9-9-9-24 spec setting, particularly with overclocking. Note you need to explicitly set that last "37" (Bank Cycle Time, tRC) setting in your bios.

For more relaxed timings in connection with overclocking, I've also found the following to be both reliable and stable:
                      9-10-9-28-37
                      10-10-10-30-40

Maybe this will help with any further timing issues.

__
                      Thanks for the recommendation, I'll those setting if my current settings cause me pc to freeze again
                      My current settings are 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5v and have been stable since my last post however
                      With my last settings 1600 @ 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5-1.55v cpu-nb freq 2400 @ 1.2v HT link freq 2000-2400.
                      My system was stable for a couple days then froze while browsing the net.

NOTE: My system has never froze while conducting cpu intensive work such as gaming, stability test(prime95) etc.

Comment

• That's precisely the same problem the 9-9-9-28-37 setting (1600 MHz) solved for me -- 9-9-9-24 was stable for a couple of days then froze while I was browsing the net. 8-8-8-24 also works for 1333 MHz, but I wanted to run at 1600 MHz rather than 1333 MHz; and the 9-9-9-28-37 fixed the issue.

I've used the other, more relaxed settings, for overclocking the memory to timings slightly above 1600 (bus frequency setting of 242 with 16.5 multiplier gets me to 4.0 GHz with NB/CPU 2420 setting, but requires memory setting of approx 1612 MHz; bus setting of 250 with multiplier of 16 gets me to 4.0 GHz with NB/CPU 2500 setting, but requires mem setting of 1633). All three of the settings I gave will work with any of the above, but the relaxed settings work with lower DRAM voltages.

Regards.

__

Comment

• If OK w/ stability test, might check for a driver problem, make sure all mobo and component drivers are up to date (especially GPU)

Tman

Comment

• Thanks TMan. I've done all of those things. Actually, I'm quite happy with 9-9-9-28-37. The 9-9-9-24 setting actually carries a tRC setting of 40 (XMP-1600), and based on my limited understanding of the working effect of memory timings, I think the 9-9-9-28-37 is just a little faster (the tRC setting is an overall time performance limiting factor as I understand it). Even so the 9-9-9-28-37 timings have been rock solid stable (knock on wood).

__

Comment

• Originally posted by nymnym View Post
                              That's precisely the same problem the 9-9-9-28-37 setting (1600 MHz) solved for me -- 9-9-9-24 was stable for a couple of days then froze while I was browsing the net. 8-8-8-24 also works for 1333 MHz, but I wanted to run at 1600 MHz rather than 1333 MHz; and the 9-9-9-28-37 fixed the issue.

I've used the other, more relaxed settings, for overclocking the memory to timings slightly above 1600 (bus frequency setting of 242 with 16.5 multiplier gets me to 4.0 GHz with NB/CPU 2420 setting, but requires memory setting of approx 1612 MHz; bus setting of 250 with multiplier of 16 gets me to 4.0 GHz with NB/CPU 2500 setting, but requires mem setting of 1633). All three of the settings I gave will work with any of the above, but the relaxed settings work with lower DRAM voltages.

Regards.

__
                              Thanks nymnym I surely try those settings (1600 @ 9-9-9-28). I'll let you know how it goes.
                              Should common rate be 2T or 1T with these settings?

Comment

• 2T is what I've used. Make sure to also explicitly set tRC to 37.

__
                                Last edited by nymnym; 07-05-2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X