Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right, setting the write to read from 4 to 6 with both sticks and expected settings elsewhere has not helped, still says 4gb in the bios overview and 8gb on northbridge details. I havnt changed any of the 1.5x 1x 0.75 ohms etc settings as I do not know what they mean/if it is abnormal at all.

Comment

• Hello again, could anyone recommend a new memory kit for me that they are sure will have no compatibility problems with my system? I Don't want a decrease in system performance if possible and would prefer 1333 as it seems to be that my mobo/processor have some issues with 1600 ram I could avoid entirely. That said, I still want a high performance kit and could go up to 16gb if a 550 watt psu could handle it? Any preferences people have?

Comment

• Well your board's QVL list has even the XMP(intel) memories like F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH and it looks like it's the fastest you can get for 1333 7-7-7-21, should be close to 1600mhz performance.
        This cat scratches free.
        Intel i5 2500k @ 4ghz Offset - 0.015v | Asus P8P67 EVO | 12gb GSkill RipjawsX F3-14900CL8D-4GBXM 2x2gb & F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb 1866 9-10-9-28@1.6v | AMD HD6850 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) | 2xWD500 Caviar Black & Blue | CM Haf-912 Advanced | Noctua NH-U12P SE + Akasa 12cm Viper | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | AMD Catalyst 13.10b

Comment

• you are confident that memory will be fully compatible wth my 960t ? am a little wary of buying in case he same thing happens again.

Comment

• Originally posted by christiney View Post
            you are confident that memory will be fully compatible wth my 960t ? am a little wary of buying in case he same thing happens again.
            i've ordered the low voltage snipers.. i run amd (crosshair v) gimmi a week i'll tell you how they are ..

Comment

• Hello, I bought these and are perfectly: F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Phenom 965
              MB Asrock M3A770DE

With My configuration for now work at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-33 2T With 1,53v. now I have also raised the frequency of NB at 2200MHz and is stable without overvolt. Very Good!! Bye

Comment

• Glad to hear another success story, Enjoy and keep in touch with us

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Hi,

I built a new system 6-7 months ago including 4GB GSKILL 1600 DDR3 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, 2x2 GB), and later added another 4GB GSKILL 1600 DDR3 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, 2x2 GB).

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
                  Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

I learned only recently that AMD Phenom II do not happily run DDR3 1600 memory without motherboard bios adjustments. After some searching I found this thread.

Was worried when I first started reading here because I didn't realize four sticks of memory puts an extra load on the system, and I didn't realize there could be compatibility issues between the two sets of GSKILL memory sticks as they were purchased at different times. I was partcularly concerned that my GSKILL memory could be out of warranty as my purchases go back 5-7 months.

After a bit more reading I made a most pleasant discovery; GSKILL memory has a LIFETIME WARRANTY that the memory will operate as specified by the datasheet (i.e., the two sets of memory are guaranteed compatible and to operate as specified). Bravo GSKILL!

I followed the recommendations essentially as per 'Method 1' the start of this thread (increased the CPU/NB voltage by +0.10v, changed CPU Host Bus Frequency to 240, set memory timing to 1600 specs, memory frequency to 1600, set CPU NB frequency to 2400, and decreased HT Link Frequency to 1920) and now find myself in possession of a 3.2GHz Phenom II running happily at 3.85GHz -- a 20% increase in speed!! GSKILL memory is happily running at 1600. I'm happily amazed.

Wouldn't have ever even tried the 20% overclocking but for my "mistake" in purchasing 1600 GSKILL memory that my processor wasn't designed to run.

Many thanks!

__
                  Last edited by nymnym; 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Congrats, many 955s have problems w/ 1600 period, many more have problems in running 4 sticks of 1600, looks like in the small percentage that has a primo combo of CPU. mobo and sticks....Enjoy!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• nymnym,

That is one heck of a story! Glad to hear your persistence and patience paid off, and my instructions made sense.

Now you have good experience, so you can do some more overclocking in the future.

Thanks for sharing
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

• http://www.gskill.us/forum/announcement.php?f=29
                        AMD has quit promoting native DDR3 1866 Bulldozer support. At the bottom of their comparison pages there is this comment/qualifier:
                        2.1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) in single memory slot motherboard designs
                        does that confuse anyone else?
                        I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

• Yes, and that's their second change, I went back and forth with them over 1866 and 4 DIMMs for almost 2 months on the the issue of 'Native' 1866 - they have a BIOS and Kernal Guide that actually states the CPUs can support 'UP TO 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL' or a max of 2 DIMMS (anything more supposedly throws the CPU out of warranty).... see my post

http://www.gskill.us/forum/announcement.php?f=2

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            If you have an AMD CPU motherboard combo, and DDR3-1600 memory, the system BIOS should be configured as follows:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
                            [Non-Black Edition CPU]

Method #1

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
                            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
                            [Black Edition CPU]

Method #2

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600

2. Set CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz (DDR3-1600 / 2 = 800MHz, then x 3) CPU-NB Frequency should always be 3X DRAM bus frequency

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
                            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

There are many different motherboards and memory, but they require the same changes. If you are unsure of what to change, refer to your motherboard user's manual. It will have more information about each option and its purpose.

If the system is slightly unstable, you may need to raise CPU-NB Voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, so raising this voltage can help with stability. Also, if you are using full slots or attempting any overclocking, raising this voltage can also help with stability.

Once these changes are made in BIOS, your system should be stable. For memory above the standard, majority of the time AUTO default settings will not work, so these settings are required for a perfectly stable system. Recently we have noticed that without manually setting DRAM Voltage, it can cause stability issues.

If you continue to have problems, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V. These are good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work. These are fail-proof settings to test the memory and make sure they are working properly. If the memory does not work with these settings, it is possible that your memory kit is bad.

As always, we can assist if you have any difficulties, so feel free to create a post.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Do we have to use the one of the methods? Or can we just install the RAM/CPU, install Windows, and go on like a regular computer?
                            NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 8-core Processor @ 4.0Ghz

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

2 x XFX R9270X Radeon Graphics Card (Crossfired)

Comment

• You can, the memory will default to the mobos default, with newer mobos prob 1333, older more likely to be 1066

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                                You can, the memory will default to the mobos default, with newer mobos prob 1333, older more likely to be 1066

Thank You! I didn't wanna not do it and risk screwing things up, so i figured I would ask. Normally, I would know about this kind of stuff.
                                NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 8-core Processor @ 4.0Ghz

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

2 x XFX R9270X Radeon Graphics Card (Crossfired)

Comment

Working...
                                X