X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nymnym
    replied
    As I understand it you should be able to set the cpu-nb voltage at stock voltage so long as you're running memory at 1333 MHz, at either 9-9-9-24 or 8-8-8-24.

Took a look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 -- from what I saw, it has three heat pipes on each side, and uses a 92mm fan. The Hyper 212 EVO is larger; has 4 heat pipes on each side and uses a 120mm fan. I think you'll see a pretty good difference from switching to the Hyper 212 EVO.

Bear in mind that I'm no expert; but I had a cooler with same physical dimensions and fan size as your artic cooler, and replaced it with the hyper 212 evo and got a temp drop exceeding 5 degrees celsius even without running the fan at max speed. So I'm running my 955BE Phenom II X4 at a 20% overclock at 3.85 Mhz, with 8 GB 1600 MHz GSKILL memory (4 X 2GB sticks), and my max temp is 46 to 48 degrees celsius running Prime95, depending on fan speed.

After I did some reading and experimenting in my bios I found that I was actually able drop the stock CPU voltage from the recommended 1.4 V down to 1.35 V (with Asus CPU Loadline Calibration and CPU/NB Loadline Calibration each set to "Extreme"). According to the overclocking experts, the 1.35 V setting normally works (as it did for me). Anyhow, that also contributes to a temperature drop. I'm getting more than a little off-track here, but just so I don't confuse you, I did this voltage change before I switched coolers, and saw a drop of two degrees or so before I switched coolers. Got a drop of an additional 5 degrees or more by switching coolers. I'm running the cpu/nb voltage with a 0.1 V increase btw, all other voltage settings are stock. CPU/NB is running at 2400 MHz as a result of changing the CPU Bus speed from 200 to 240 (I had to drop the HT setting to 1920 MHz to make things stable but supposedly that is only a problem if you're using two GPUs, and I'm only running a single nvidia GPU; and also the need for HT frequency drop is supposed to be dependent on the specific Phenom II CPU -- it's supposed to help with overclocking of the 955, and did so with my 955).

Hope I haven't added to much confusion by going too far off course here.

Regards.
    Last edited by nymnym; 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cwpaters
    replied
    nymnym i think stock voltage is 1.5v anyway? or is it the cpu-nb i increased to 1.2 i should decrease? thats i suppose all going well when i get home whith no errors!!

I already have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 ??? would i be best upgrading to the Cooler master hyper 212 EVO???

I am also away to buy a new case with power pack as im running out of space and there is cabeling everywhere so a cable tray is what im planning.

i know its off topic but was thinking about this??

im not too sure where the GSKILL guys have went??
    Last edited by cwpaters; 03-06-2012, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nymnym
    replied
    Great News on the Prime95!

8-8-8-24 is what you should use at 1333 MHz. (Better performance).

About your voltage; As I understand it you shouldn't need any voltage increase over stock to run your memory at 1333 MHz. (Don't know where the GSKILL experts are lol)

Try 8-8-8-24 with stock voltage.

About your core temperature -- 58 degrees Celsius (your max temp) is a bit too hot to expect to do any overclocking. Supposedly the Phenon II is very temperature sensitive and you can't expect a stable overclock if max temp exceeds 55 degrees Celsius. Good news is that the T\max temp shroud drop when you drop the voltage to standard.

Also about the voltage/temperature -- that minimum temp of 30 is very good and suggests that you probably have pretty decent ventilation of your computer case (good fans maybe). You can probably get the max temp to drop by installing a better heatsink -- Cooler master hyper 212 EVO is pretty cheap; if your case is wide enough for it to fit, and if you have access to the back plate on the back side of your motherboard, it should be a relatively easy installation and should bring down the max temp.

Regards.
    Last edited by nymnym; 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cwpaters
    replied
    So i finished the prime95 testing this morning with no errors!!

Dram frequency set to 667 with 9-9-9-24 and dram voltage to 1.50v cand pu-nb (Vddnb on the m4a785td-v) to 1.2v

I have switched to all same setting apart from 8-8-8-24 and left the prime95 running so will see what it says when i get home from work.

If both are free from errors which one should i stick with? 9-9-9-24 or 8-8-8-24 ?

Leave a comment:

• flearider
    replied
    Originally posted by cwpaters View Post
    Thanks nymnym

I sourced another set of 4x4 g.skill ripjawsx F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Tried applying the settings tonight

1. Dram frequency set to 800 (1600)
    2. CPU-nb frequency?? My bios gives 2.00x 3.00x ........... ???
    3. Set all timings
    4. Set dram voltage to 1.50v
    5. Set cpu-nb (Vddnb on the m4a785td-v) to 1.2v

I had no luch with those settings and almost instantly with prime95 I had a bsod!

Now trying same settings but not inc no 2 as don't know what to set but no 1 at 667 no 3 at 9-9-9-24 ( should this be 8-8-8-24??)

Prime95 has now completed self-test 8k and passed on all 4 workers and on test 4 now

Will leave it running overnite and report findings in morning!
    with 16gb of ram you may need to increase your cpu/nb to 1.25 or 1.30

Leave a comment:

• nymnym
    replied
    You're on one of the right tracks (there are actually several; I'll try to explain below).

There are two major paths you can take: (1) Run memory at native 1333 MHz, or (2) Make changes to run memory at 1600 MHz. Each of these paths has branches.

You're on the first (and most reliable and easiest) path. Bear in mind that however that your 1600 MHz memory is actually capable of better performance than 1333 MHz. You can still get part of that performance back when running at 1333 MHz by selecting improved timings settings. Presumably the listed specification for your memory at 1600 MHz is 9-9-9-24. If so, you can select the the improved timings settings of 8-8-8-24 since you're running the memory at the lower frequency of 1333 MHz. In both cases, you probably need to be sure to select a "Command rate" of 2T.

If you aren't sure what the specs of your memory are, run CPU-Z and select the 5th Tab (SPD) -- That will list the specs for each of your memory sticks.

If you look back to the message at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that the next-to-last paragraph reads:
    "If you continue to have problems, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V. These are good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work. These are fail-proof settings to test the memory and make sure they are working properly. If the memory does not work with these settings, it is possible that your memory kit is bad."

All of what I said above was really the same thing as this next-to-last paragraph; just using different words.

As for the other major branch (Run memory at 1600 MHz), that takes more work, and requires cooperation from your motherboard and your CPU. That path will probably also result in your system running at least a bit hotter (CPU core temperature) since you will probably make some voltage change and will end up with faster memory and/or CPU, so you may then need or want to install better cooling (fans and/or heatsink).

I'll just mention that there are sometimes two ways to change the NB (NorthBridge) -- either by changing the NB frequency setting directly (if that is available) -- or by changing your CPU bus frequency (different motherboard manufs use slightly different terminology, but all should include the two words "CPU" and "Bus", and the default value should be 200). You were looking at changing the multiplier (which changes only your CPU frequency). The CPU bus Frequency changes lots of stuff all at the same time (CPU freq, NB Freq, HT Freq, and probably memory timings).

If you want to explore the latter path, I'm sure the GSKILL experts will gladly help you do that. (I'll also take a look here tomorrow, but later in the day tomorrow I'm leaving for a trip and may or may not be able to help further). Regardless, make sure to tell them what motherboard you are using if you want further help, since bios settings differ from motherboard to motherboard.

Regards.
    Nymnym

Leave a comment:

• cwpaters
    replied
    Thanks nymnym

I sourced another set of 4x4 g.skill ripjawsx F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Tried applying the settings tonight

1. Dram frequency set to 800 (1600)
    2. CPU-nb frequency?? My bios gives 2.00x 3.00x ........... ???
    3. Set all timings
    4. Set dram voltage to 1.50v
    5. Set cpu-nb (Vddnb on the m4a785td-v) to 1.2v

I had no luch with those settings and almost instantly with prime95 I had a bsod!

Now trying same settings but not inc no 2 as don't know what to set but no 1 at 667 no 3 at 9-9-9-24 ( should this be 8-8-8-24??)

Prime95 has now completed self-test 8k and passed on all 4 workers and on test 4 now

Will leave it running overnite and report findings in morning!
    Last edited by cwpaters; 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nymnym
    replied
    -> cwpaters

IF your Bios is set to run your memory at 1600 MHz, AND you haven't made other necessary adjustments in the Bios, this is most likely the source of your problems. Essentially the problem is that all of the Phenom II CPUs (including the X4s) are set up to run memory at 1333 MHz. If you set your memory to run at 1600 MHz without making other Bios adjustments, you are likely to have problems.

IMO the easiest way to check if your problem lies here is to download and install CPU-Z (tiny program, fast download). Run CPU-Z, then click on the 4th tab at the top ("Memory"). Now look at the 4th line down form the top ("DRAM Frequency"), and double that number, and you have the actual frequency your memory is running at (on my system, this entry reads 802.7, so my memory is running at 1605 MHZ). Assuming your memory is not running at the native 1333 MHz setting (DRAM Frequency = about 667), then you need to check the reading for the "NB Frequency" which is the third item from the top on the same (4th Tab) page. The NB Frequency must be set at 3 times the DRAM Frequency for your memory to function properly (i.e, if your DRAM Frequency reads about 800, the NB Frequency should read about 2400).

If the readings don't match up per the above, follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread to make the necessary adjustments in your Bios.

BTW, I'm just a user (customer) like you, and am passing on what I've learned from this and related threads. I'm sure the GSKILL experts will pop up here shortly.

Leave a comment:

• cwpaters
    replied
    I have been running:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 with
    16GB G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

While running video editing programs and convertion i started getting BSOD and memtest was showing errors on the memory! I put back in one stick of G-Skill and was ok for a little while then started getting BSOD i really dont know whats happening! I have a new set of G-Skill 16GB but dont want to put them in and damage them?? could it be the issue with using 1600 with the Phenom x4? could i now have a damaged CPU memory controller? is there anyway of checking that?

thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Not sure on your mobo, haven't touched one yet, , maybe someone else out here has seen or worked with one

Leave a comment:

• StormChaser83
    replied
    Originally posted by GregoryF View Post
    Sofar my memory hasnt given me any problems, but I do have a few ?'s First off I have an asrock 970 extreme 3 mobo and a amd phenom2 x4 975 be processor and I cannot find how to set cpu-nb frequency in the bios and I don't know what my cpu-nb voltage is. If anyone can help please do so. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Hey Gregory, no dis-respect or anything, but it might be a good idea if you start your own topic about this, buddy. . . You will have more of a chance of getting a straight answer with a new thread.

Leave a comment:

• GregoryF
    replied
    Sofar my memory hasnt given me any problems, but I do have a few ?'s First off I have an asrock 970 extreme 3 mobo and a amd phenom2 x4 975 be processor and I cannot find how to set cpu-nb frequency in the bios and I don't know what my cpu-nb voltage is. If anyone can help please do so. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    We'll be looking for you

Leave a comment:

• StormChaser83
    replied
    Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
    No problem, let us know how things go
    Oh I will. It'll be a few weeks anyway. . . .

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    No problem, let us know how things go

Leave a comment:

Working...
X