This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods not working

The methods posted do not work for me. The only one that works is downclocking to DDR3-1333 MHz and 8-8-8-24. My specs are as follows and I would like some advice. I tried increasing some voltages, but no luck. Scared of frying components

2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    2 x SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Comment

• Might ensure you have the latest BIOS, 1333 may be the only option for the 965, many can't handle 4 sticks at 1600, also possible, using 2 sets of sticks the sticks don't want to play together, a 4 stick set (tested to all work together) might be able to make it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Hi,

I bought a kit of G.skill Sniper memory :F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

2 X 4Go 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-2T 1.5V in theory ^^

Here my specs :

Asus Crosshair IV Formula Bios Version 2002
        AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz
        MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC
        OCZ Silencer 610W PSU

I can't manage to have the memory stable, i explain myself :

I change both the memory and the graphics card at the same time, before that I had a MSI 460GTX Hawk and 2 X 2 Go G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-2T 1.65V was running perfectly.

At First I tought that was the graphics card the problem because I had a lot of Freeze under Windows and the graphic driver was stopping and being recuperated in games.

But a friend give me a GTX 280 from MSI which he knows that's it work, so i put it instead of my 560 Ti and I had exactly the same problems that I had with the 560 Ti. And my friend try my 560 Ti on his computer on Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 with no problems.

I pretty sure that the graphics card isn't the problem so I decided to browse the web for a solution for the Ram and I found this forum, I've tried the following things :

NB : 2400Mhz - 2400Mhz - 2000Mhz
        FSB : 240Mhz - 200Mhz - 200Mhz
        FSB multi : 13.5 - 16 - 16
        DDR : 1600 Mhz - 1600Mhz - 1333Mhz
        Cas : 9-9-9-24-2T - 9-9-9-24-2T - 8-8-8-24-2T
        VDDR : 1.65V - 1.65V - 1.65V
        Cpu/NB : between 1.15V and 1.20V on the 3 configurations
        NB : between 1.15V and 1.20V on the 3 configurations
        VCore : 1.35V - 1.35V - 1.35V

With VDDR at 1.65V the system is MUCH MORE stable but I still crash in games (screen turns to black and come back but graphics drivers doesn't crash anymore) or the game just quit himself and return on Windows, and still have some freeze under windows with the CPU at 100% during the freeze.

I tried with another Memory Kit : 2 X 2Go G.Skill Trident 1600Mhz 6-7-6-18-2T 1.65V but i've got the same problems with it.

So what do you think of it ? any advices ? you think it's a Ram problem too ?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Might ensure you have the latest BIOS, 1333 may be the only option for the 965, many can't handle 4 sticks at 1600, also possible, using 2 sets of sticks the sticks don't want to play together, a 4 stick set (tested to all work together) might be able to make it
          I will see if I have the latest BIOS. Do you recommend that I get a 16 GB kit instead? Can I get a refund on the RAM I have now? My computer shutdown after a long time on Battlefield 3 after I changed my RAM to 1333 MHz. I wasn't sure if it was my AMD CrossFireX, but am not sure how to diagnose which component was failiing.

Comment

• Which revision of the 965 do you have? for 16GB you can try with what you have by adding to the DRAM voltage and/or CPU/NB, if that doesn't work you could look to a 16GB set, but even then with the latest 965 Rev C3 not all of them can run 1600 native with 16GB...so a 1333 might be more economical or go 1600 with the thought of dropping to 1333 and tighter timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• You will need to contact your original place of purchase for any refund.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

• AMD Bulldozer 8150, GA-990FXA-UD7, G.Skill Sniper CL7

Hello to all,
                I have set up a new gaming machine.

My setup is like this:
                OctalCore AMD FX-8150, 3900 MHz (19.5 x 200)
                4x G Skill F3-12800CL7-4GBSR
                Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

when i keep all settings in the bios on auto, Aida 64 memory benchmark shows not more than 10000 MB/s at read and write.
                I tryied out a little bit with the settings.
                so i tried 7-8-7-24 @ 1600 MHz and 1,6 Volt

results in Aida are better, about 13000 MB/s

Then i found this instructions here in this Thread on page one. <i tried out to set FSB to 240 and lowered the cpu frequency multiplikator to not come over the 3800 MHz.
                NB Voltage was 1.100 before, so i added .10 to NB Voltage 1.200 V.

NB Frequency is by 2200

But the System still freezes when start up.
                Somebody has any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance...

Comment

• Try method #2. NB Frequency should be 2400MHz for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Which revision of the 965 do you have? for 16GB you can try with what you have by adding to the DRAM voltage and/or CPU/NB, if that doesn't work you could look to a 16GB set, but even then with the latest 965 Rev C3 not all of them can run 1600 native with 16GB...so a 1333 might be more economical or go 1600 with the thought of dropping to 1333 and tighter timings
                    I have Rev C3. Currently I am at 1333 MHz with DRAM Voltage 1.5 V and 8-8-8-24 timings. I haven't experienced any issues since my crash during Battlefield 3, but a load test like that is pretty rare. Do you recommend I run any benchmarking/stress testing softwares?

Comment

• Never hurts t bench the system, when I get some free time or one of my systems will be idle for awhile, I often try different things and then bench it to see if I gain any performance, at times you can really come across something good, a sweet spot, had one 775 system w/ a Q9650 that ran great with the FSB at 1732 and in playing dropped to 1724 and had a performance increase of almost 2%...not alot, but surprising, was also able to drop vCore and NB a bit.

Tman

Comment

• New build

Hi,

Just after a little info really,
                        I'm building a pc with a Phenom II x4 980 BE cpu and Asus M4N75TD mobo, for gaming.
                        What (if any) DDR3 1600 would you recommend?
                        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Would like to use 8GB (2x4GB) if possible.
                        Last edited by Shmo; 11-17-2011, 09:26 PM. Reason: Missed size of RAM

Comment

• Most any of the 2x4GB sets will work, would suggest going with a CL9 set if you want to run 1600, with CL7 or 8 may need additional voltage to the MC (Memory Controller), which of course would mean more heat

Tman

Comment

• OK.
                            Thanks for the quick reply Tradesman.
                            Think I'll go with the F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL kit I've been looking at.

Thanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              Try method #2. NB Frequency should be 2400MHz for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH
                              Hey, after setting the NB Freq. to 2400 MHz the System freezes while booting into Windows.

Now i figured out some more Configs.
                              The best till now is:
                              CPU Freq: Auto
                              NB Freq: Auto
                              FSB: Auto (200)
                              Memory Clock: 1600 MHz (800 MHz)
                              DRAM Voltage: 1.60
                              NB Voltag 1.10 V like on Automatik
                              and the Timings i changed to 7-8-7-24

With this setup, system is stable running.

But i would like to run the memory with 1866 MHz (937 MHz).
                              Greetz from Germany

Comment

• 16 gigs installed 7.96 usable

>>> Comp. All new components
                                Mobo
                                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                                0903 BIOS (newest one on the asus sight but there are other newer builds floating around)

PSU
                                Antec High Current Pro HCP-750 750W

CPU
                                AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz

RAM
                                2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

HD
                                Corsair Force Series GT 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
                                --
                                System wasn't stable, did the following.

Changed the following in bios.
                                RAM frequency to 1600.
                                DRAM Command Rate 2T
                                RAM timing to 9-9-9-24 (tried 10-10-10-24)
                                Read to Read timing 5
                                DRAM command rate 5
                                CPU/NB Voltage 1.2 (tried as high as 1.45)
                                DRAM voltage 1.5 (tried 1.65 as well)

CPU-NB frequency 2400MHz

Now on boot 1 of 3 things happens;
                                System detects 16 gigs and is compleatly stable (wooo). (10%)
                                System detects 16 gigs and only 7.96 are usable. (50%)
                                System detects 16 gigs and system locks up in 2-7 minutes. (40%)

Increases ram voltage and CPU/NB voltage increased stability but it wasn't stable at 1.65 and 1.45 respectively.

Comment

Working...
                                X