X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12X

If your CPU Host (bus) frequency is 200, 200 x 12 = 2400MHz

If you use the 240 method, 10X default is fine.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Final settings for bxl memory on amd mb

After reading through this thread, the only thing I've learned is that there is STILL no answer to the question of how to (or if) this memory can PROPERLY work with AMD CPUs.

To begin with, does ANYONE know what the difference is between the BRL and BXL memory? As I read through this thread some people are talking about BRL and some are referring to BXL. I'm trying to use G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL memory on a Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 motherboard. Whatever the problem is, I know it's the memory for sure because I had it running stable with 8GB of DDR3 1333 Crucial memory. Thinking I was buying "better" memory, I gave the Crucial memory to a friend to use in his AMD machine.

First, I've tried using the MEMOK button. While it allowed the board to at least post, it wasn't stable and gives me random BSODs. It doesn't appear to make any difference if I set it to 1333 and 8,8,8, 24. I virtually certain that the memory isn't bad, it's just not compatible.

Does anyone have any definitive (not try this and then that) settings for an AMD motherboard?

Comment

• To start the RL (the B is actually paired with a G for GB as in Gigabytes i.e. 8GB) refers to the Ripjaws Low (also have RM (Medium) and RH (High)) the XL is RipjawsX model, which is a newer model that was designed around the P67/H67/Z68 chipsets but works rather well with all chipsets, including AMD.

AMD CPUs typically are designed to run 1333 or slower DRAM, to run 1600 and up you need to OC the CPU and make voltage adjustments, you also need a CPU that can carry 1600 sticks, again typically a minimum of a 965 Rev C. If you want to run at 1333 I'd suggest 8-8-8-22, 1.5 and with the CR (Command Rate) at 2N....and you may have to raise the CPU/NB voltage maybe .03, would also suggest you have the latest BIOS installed (even for 1333). To run 1600 you'll want to follow the directions on the first post in this thread....biggest problem here is that AMD CPUs have a weak MC.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          To start the RL (the B is actually paired with a G for GB as in Gigabytes i.e. 8GB) refers to the Ripjaws Low (also have RM (Medium) and RH (High)) the XL is RipjawsX model, which is a newer model that was designed around the P67/H67/Z68 chipsets but works rather well with all chipsets, including AMD.

AMD CPUs typically are designed to run 1333 or slower DRAM, to run 1600 and up you need to OC the CPU and make voltage adjustments, you also need a CPU that can carry 1600 sticks, again typically a minimum of a 965 Rev C. If you want to run at 1333 I'd suggest 8-8-8-22, 1.5 and with the CR (Command Rate) at 2N....and you may have to raise the CPU/NB voltage maybe .03, would also suggest you have the latest BIOS installed (even for 1333). To run 1600 you'll want to follow the directions on the first post in this thread....biggest problem here is that AMD CPUs have a weak MC.
          Thanks for the reply. I don't care if I have to run it as 1333 since I'm not OCing. It's being used in an HTPC, but it needs to be stable without any BSODs. I'm only using an Athlon II X3 2.5Mhz. It's a 415e (c3) and is only 45 watts (no heat at all). I'm running the latest BIOS update and as I said, it was already running stable with Crucial 1333 DRAM.

I'll try 8, 8, 8, 22 - 2T and boost the CPU northbridge voltage .03 as you suggest. The DRAM voltage is already 1.5 by BIOS default. I guess that onboard SPDs mean nothing anymore. If it wasn't for Asus' MEMOK, I probably wouldn't have gotten it to post.

While you gave a good explanation of what the letters stand for (RH, RM and RX), now if G.Skill would just post what chages there are to the timings between them, we would be all set.

Comment

• freezing even at 1333mhz

I have read through the threads and can't get the system to a stable state. If am reading the instructions right, everything auto with manual 1333mhz 8,8,8, 24 should be stable. It boots up fine, but freezes every 5-10 minutes.

One at a time chips runs fine with everything auto. Time to RMA? If RMA, am I better off with 1333mhz chips? I just want my system to run, spent enough time mucking with the different settings.

RAM: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2GBx2
            CPU: AMD x2 3.2ghz B/E
            mobo: ASUS M4A78LT-M

Comment

• chizel

do you have the latest BIOS? Is CR (Command Rate) at 1N or 2N, many AMD mobos default to 1 when it should be 2, might also try at 8-8-8-22

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Originally posted by chizel View Post
                I have read through the threads and can't get the system to a stable state. If am reading the instructions right, everything auto with manual 1333mhz 8,8,8, 24 should be stable. It boots up fine, but freezes every 5-10 minutes.

One at a time chips runs fine with everything auto. Time to RMA? If RMA, am I better off with 1333mhz chips? I just want my system to run, spent enough time mucking with the different settings.

RAM: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2GBx2
                CPU: AMD x2 3.2ghz B/E
                mobo: ASUS M4A78LT-M
                You appear to have the exact same problem as I do (except your memory has a code that hasn't been explained above, "NQ", I wonder what that means). I haven't tried setting 22 and bumping up the CPU-NB .03 as suggested. However, you would "think" that Asus' MEMOK button would be able to make these adjustment automatically, otherwise, why did they waste their time adding that feature.

While the CPU memory controller might be overly sensitive as previouly stated, it's funny that when you use the EXACT memory on Asus' QVL, it works fine. That's why I wanted to know what ALL the timing differences were between the RH, RM and RX and now, "NQ". They all claim to use the same 9, 9, 9, 24 and yet, they found it necessary to label them differently.

P.S. I already have the latest BIOS (0902) and it's not very likely they're going be doing any more updates at this point in time. Since I'm not a memory expert and there are so many other settings for memory in the BIOS, it would have been nice if G.Skill included a sheet listing the "recomended" setting for either different motherboards or at the very least, setting for Intel & AMD processors....taking into consideration the "weak" memory controller on the AMD CPUs.

Comment

• Tman,

Of course the memory kits can work, but the problem is performance memory requires manual settings in BIOS for a stable system. That is what most people have a problem with, and they aren't aware when they purchase performance memory. For that reason, we have this guide available to help those people, especially first timers and those that have no BIOS adjustment experience.

MemOK button feature is a good idea, but as your have experienced, it is not perfect. Especially with AMD motherboards, it surely will not configure all the necessary changes for max performance, so we do not recommend it at all. As you can see in the guide, it is only a 5-6 step procedure to set up everything correctly, so manual settings are definitely best.

With DDR3-1600 CL9 kits, you can operate them at DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24. These are fail proof settings, so if you just need to test the memory and not worry about any overclock settings, DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V is the way to go. If you still have problems, test one at a time to see if one may be bad causing problems.

There are different models with the same specs because the actual product can slightly differ. The obvious being the IC chips. We will only use a certain brand or type of chip with a certain model. The overall spec is roughly the same, so general performance will be the same, but if you try to overclock each kit, you will notice that their differences. (More or less voltage, different timings, etc.)

The recomended settings are already listed on the first page. Those are the only changes you should need to make. So if you still have a problem, test each module individually to see if one may be bad causing issues.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

• chizel,

Did you manually set DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V? Did you test each module with these settings?

If you manually set the memory to DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 1.50V, it should work fine as well.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

• Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      Tman,

Of course the memory kits can work, but the problem is performance memory requires manual settings in BIOS for a stable system. That is what most people have a problem with, and they aren't aware when they purchase performance memory. For that reason, we have this guide available to help those people, especially first timers and those that have no BIOS adjustment experience.

MemOK button feature is a good idea, but as your have experienced, it is not perfect. Especially with AMD motherboards, it surely will not configure all the necessary changes for max performance, so we do not recommend it at all. As you can see in the guide, it is only a 5-6 step procedure to set up everything correctly, so manual settings are definitely best.
                      Thanks for the reply. I fully understand what you're saying. I just meant that they should include what you're saying in a short instruction page packaged with the memory so some poor guy doesn't go crazy thinking he has a bad MB or CPU BEFORE he finds his way here.

I have to tell you that if it wasn't for the MEMOK button, I wouldn't have even been able to get into the BIOS to change any setting....unless of course I had some memory that would let me post first. I can just picture someone with a board that doesn't have a MEMOK button and they can't get to the BIOS to even set the failsafe defaults. It should come with a warning. I can just see some poor guy ripping apart his NEW build and saying @&%(%*%.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• System:
                        X6 1055T @ 3.6ghz - 1.4V
                        GA-890GPA-UD3H rev.2.1 BIOS [FF]

due to a RMA (other manufacturer's ram kit) i have choosen:

2x
                        G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-12800U CL8-8-8-24 (DDR3-1600) (F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM)
                        - i had not the chance to get a 2x4 kit, so i had to take one 2x2 and bought another 2x2 from the same delivery.

i plan to run the ram on 1376mhz @ 1.35-1.5V @ cl7 4x2 sticks.
                        [maybe 1700mhz @ cl8 @1.5v if the ram will be stable]
                        --> i hope that i can run the ram at 1T

i read all your sticky's, but my english is not the best. I read the AMD CPU's IMC, can have problems to run the ram. Does this Problem is interessting with a x6 1055T?

*edit*
                        would that be a better choise for me?
                        G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-12800U CL6-8-6-24 (DDR3-1600) (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)

i think they have the same chips but maybe a better selection?
                        Last edited by AramisCortess; 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Tman,

Instructions are nice, but it's generally implied that when you use performance memory, manual settings are required. While it's odd the modules did not boot up for you without the memOK button, hard resetting the BIOS should have worked as well. All modules should boot at DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600, then the settings can be input in BIOS. If the end user continues to have a problem, a quick email, call, or forum post can get them the information they need. Not to mention this information is plastered all over NewEgg Reviews as well. We are aware of the sector of people you speak of, that can't find the proper information, so we will find some way to reach those users.

AramisCortess,

Both kits will work just fine. There is no problem with AMD x6, you just need to make sure to manually input settings correctly in BIOS. AUTO or improper settings can cause instability. So it is very important.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

• first kit arrived today, ill check the settings tomorrow.

it will be interresting how much i have to change when the other 2 sticks arrive

Comment

• Yes, manually set each to 1333mhz, 8-8-8-24, tested each chip individually both boot fine and doesn't freeze, but one chip is much slower than the other. Takes a long time for apps to load/run on the slower chip.

If both chips are installed it freezes every 5-10mins. RMA the slower/bad chip?

Comment

• chizel,

I would suggest the whole kit, but it surely seems like that is a bad module.

Thank you
                                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X