Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 GB of Gskill on MSI BIG BANG MB (PROBLEMS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 GB of Gskill on MSI BIG BANG MB (PROBLEMS)

hi there, i recently purchased another set of G.SKILL PI 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI from newegg.com to make it a full 12 GB of ram my pc would be running. As soon i installed the memory my PC booted up. I did not change any setting but now its moving really slow and sluggish and i cannot do anything that i used to do on my pc comfortable. When i take out the additonal ram and only run 6 GBs my machine works fine. I got a MSI big bang mb and a corei7 930 , Please help i know its very rare that RAM comes deffective.

Did you get the same set as what you had? Have you tried running it on the new set alone? If the new set alone works fine as does the old set, the two may be incompatible or may need adjustments in the voltages and/or timings. Could you post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

yea i got the exact same set from newegg. although this new one is boards are black and not green like my old ones. i bought them from the same link on newegg.same frequencies and latencies.

i just tried it with 8 GBs and the machine is working fine with it..Gonna try for 10 now and let you know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231352

everything in the bios is set to default

Comment

All right...settings should pretty much remain the same as you add sticks except keep an eye on tRFC...it should raise some with each new stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok so i am not getting it to reach 10 GBs and move normal. the pc is sluggish and sticking. However, I reached 8 GBs using each different memory slots on the motherboard and each different sticks, so we can rule out the memory being bad or any of my dimm slots being defective.

What can i do now?

Comment

this is really really frustrating. Can anyone please tell me what i can do? i tried changing almost all the timings and still nothing .I am only getting up to 8 GBs to work stable on the machine.

Comment

Did you raise QPI Voltage to support full slots? Once you find the precise voltage your CPU wants, the system should be stable.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

i raised it as far as 1.5 v and still it was not stable. windows started and i can see the 12 GBs in windows but it still moved slow and sluggish. should i go higher? the bios warned me that even 1.4 was not recommended

Comment

Well 1.50V may be too high, go lower and test each range to see what's most stable. 1.40V, 1.35V, 1.30V, then fine tune when it appears more stable.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

i was checking out the msi forums and they said a bios update may actually fix this problem..because apparently alot of users are having this same problem...

i will update and let you guys know if i got tru.

Comment

Rondell,

If you are running BIOS revision 1.2 you should update to revision 1.3 or higher. Revision 1.4 is the latest official release, however I'm running the latest BETA version released on January 15th.

You can find it in the MSI Forums.

It is by far the best and solved all of my problems with sluggishness when running with all six dimm slots populated.

Be advised that you'll probably need at least 1.4v on the QPI voltage. I'm going to measure with a dmm tonight, but I suspect that the actual QPI voltage is significantly less than what is set in the BIOS.

Regards,
                      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                      Intel i7 950
                      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                      Corsair TX950W
                      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Hey i did update the bios to 1.3 and installed the memory. Changed QPI to 1.4 and its works fast! no problems!! indeed it was the bios version.....thanks alot.

Comment

You're welcome. Here's the transcript of a post I made on the MSI HQ forums concerning QPI voltage on the Big Bang xPower motherboard. May be worth checking yours too;

"Since my board was on the test bench last night I decided to pull out my fluke dmm and measure the actual QPI versus the BIOS set QPI. Disclaimer - this is on my particular board and running the latest BETA BIOS available here.

BIOS QPI - 1.25v
                          Actual - 1.192v

BIOS QPI - 1.30v
                          Actual - 1.240v

BIOS QPI - 1.35
                          Actual - 1.281

BIOS QPI - 1.40
                          Actual - 1.334

BIOS QPI - 1.41
                          Actual - 1.343

Fluke was calibrated by our calibration service provider in November 2010 so I'm sure the readings are accurate."

It would be interesting to see if you have the same drop between the BIOS setting and actual voltage like I do on my board.
                          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                          Intel i7 950
                          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                          OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                          WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                          WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                          Corsair TX950W
                          Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Working...
                          X