Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Won't run at stock speed unless OC?: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tradesman, I am worried that if I mention that they'll ask me for the ticket number and pass it back to the previous CSR.

I just changed the settings to 1333 mhz. Fans are a little quiter, but Power Management functions are still disabled. Asus mobo still believes it's in Overclocking mode. Only 1066 works for power management (EPU).

there is a new bios update but I dont know what the particulars are. all it says is improve memory compatibility. Writing down all the settings is really time consuming and it's likely i will miss something. i havent used the CMOS backup feature before either. In my experiences, flashing the bios on all Asus mobos is risky and frustrating unless in a pure dos environment. I got no floppy in my new setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmm888 View Post
      maybe in a year or two i'll get new RAM. I am not an early adopter and I keep my PCs for around 3+ years. but at the same time, Idont like my system not running up to spec.

i havent changed any BCKL so it appears for now that @1600 disables power management and there is no way to overide these settings to have my cpu throttle down. i see no option any where. All the settings are on auto except for 2N (timing mode) and the memory timings.

Will I noticed a difference @1333? I certainly notice a difference at 1666 over 1066. By going 1333 I hve to change the QDRAM voltage from AUTO (previously 1.35) to 1.50 v?

BTW. Asus is ignoring me now after I asked for clarification if they understand what I am asking. I should open up another ticket and hopefully i will get someone else.
      the settings you're looking for are probably buried somewhere in an advanced menu.

real world performance is unnoticeable in most cases. but depends on what you do with your computer.

I'm not sure what QDRAM is, usually it's called VDIMM if it's the RAM voltage. maybe someone else with an Asus board knows what this is?

and yeah, I have not been impressed with Asus support... I won't ever buy another "****" product again. but I still have respect for their quality. although not always what it's cracked up to be.
      CPU: i7 4790K
      Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
      RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

Eureka

Ok, I finally figured things out. SOB and I am soooo ticked off at Asus Forums and Asus Customer support. I really didnt want to get an Asus mobo but the tech at the Computer store said Gigabyte at the time had mobo issues with their1366 line so he didnt recommend it.

I tried just for the heck of it to update my bios. The process was quite painless. What was NOt was getting my CMOS settings. Apparently the saved profile file wasnt compatible with the latest bios version (no suprise there). Did anyone or Asus tell me there would be an issue? Of course not. My Windows 7 system would not boot into Windows. That really burned me good. The ACHI settings and a GB/sec hard drive settings werent all in the same place and I know the settings weren't obvious. They were all buried and like I suspected, there would be issues with them.

What I ended up doing was going back to Asus' website and downloading my OLD bios and reflashing and then keeping my fingers crossed that it allowed it and allowed me to retrieve my CMOS settings. Wow!!! TG for that!!!

I then changed in the bios a feature called AI OVERCLOCKER. I set it to AUTO from MANUAL. I then changed the DRAM to 1600 and entered the latency and QDRAM. Everything else to auto. Now, my EPU is working.

Here are the settings though.....via an interesting app called Turbo V. Everything is running a bit high.

See for yourself and let me know.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Default QPI/DRAM Core Voltage is 1.10V.
          For your CPU and memory, QPI/DRAM Core Voltage should only be around ~1.20V based on our testing. You should leave it to AUTO, or find the lowest stable voltage.
          Just an update. I didnt like the above settings. I went back to the bios and manually changed the following"

DRAM voltage from Auto > 1.5 V
          QDRAM voltage from Auto > 1.20 V (lowerst manual setting for this mobo)
          Command Rate from 1N > 2N
          I hope things run stable. I dunno why the mobo increased everything up so high?

Comment

QDRAM he means QPI/DRAM Core Voltage.

Glad to hear you were able to figure it out. XMP doesn't work well anymore for LGA 1366 motherboards, they did some weird things to the BIOS. Manual settings are highly recommended. You should not have any problems this way.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              XMP doesn't work well anymore for LGA 1366 motherboards, they did some weird things to the BIOS.
              Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Amen brother
              MSI Big Bang xPower x58
              Intel i7 950
              GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
              Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
              OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
              WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
              WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
              Corsair TX950W
              Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

I guess I should've take the advice of a [few] others and go with an 1156 chipset instead. lol. I really despise Asus now.

Comment

Running 12 GB or more?

I got another reply from a different Asus tech when I opened up another ticket. This time, he gave some additional generic info, but not specific info. He did NOT refer me to level two or his supervisor as I have requested. Again, I luv Asus...not.

So in his generic mumbo jumbo, he writes this and I wonder what is your opinion on it:

Some notes for people using 12 Gigs of memory.

12 Gigs of memory is only supported at 800-1333Mhz. Some users can run 1600Mhz successfully with some voltage tweaking but 1333Mhz is the max supported speed using 12 gigs.

Comment

Interesting isn't it that they list a 12GB Kingston kit at 1600 in their QVL (KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX), sounds just like more of their BS.....might ask where it states that info and ask what you need if you want to run 24 GB which the board is suppose to support. Also interesting, they don't list anything on the QVL less than 1066 DRAM (they show as 1067) and list NO 12 GB sets at 1067, let alone 24

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Like most companies, they just provide basic details/specifications. This means relaying info such as what Intel states.

DDR3-1600 can be achieved through overclocking, only one DIMM per channel. DDR3-1333 is capable of 6GB, but for 6GB+ you will need to purchase DDR3-1066.

Imagine how easy my job would be if I could just say the same mumbo jumbo.

It would probably be much more clear cut for some people that don't understand memory at all.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

While I certainly can't give any props to Asus Technical Support, Warranty Support or the Asus forums, I think that their x58 series line up is pretty outstanding if you have the technical experience to get them to run right.

Surprised really that there was any problem whatsoever getting a kit of DDR3 1600 speed RAM to work.

It should have been as simple as setting the memory multiplier to 12 (DDR3 1600Mhz @ 133 BCLK), inputting the four primary memory timings and setting the DRAM voltage. Save, exit, bam and everything should have worked just fine.

And speaking to power management features............

Make sure you have the latest BIOS released for your board - you should be at BIOS revision level 0502.

Enter your BIOS > Choose the Advanced Tab > Choose CPU Configuration > CPU Ratio set to [Auto] > Enable C1E Support > Now scroll down to Intel PPM Configuration > Enable Intel Speed Step > Enable C-State Tech

Your increased fan speed doesn't have anything to do with power saving features or RAM settings on that P6X58D-E board. It's all in your BIOS. If you've got it all messed up, the best thing to do is to clear your CMOS > then boot and enter BIOS > then load BIOS default values > then go to the AI Tweaker Menu > Change AI Tuner from [Auto] to [Manual] > scroll down and change DRAM frequency from [Auto] to 1600Mhz > scroll further down and select DRAM timing control > change the four primary memory timings to [9-9-9-24] > escape out of DRAM timing control and scroll a little further down the AI Tweaker Menu > Change QPI/DRAM core voltage from [Auto] to [1.25v] > scroll a little further down the menu and change DRAM Bus Voltage from [Auto] to 1.50v or 1.52v

If you want to now you can go back to the Advanced Tab and double check the settings that I gave you before you cleared your CMOS. Re-enter them if needed. Save and exit.

Your RAM will now be running at DDR3 1600Mhz, your CPU will be at it's default operating frequency (with all power saving/thermal reduction rules in place) and Turbo mode enabled so you'll get the extra multiplier for your CPU.

You should be set.

And shame on Selluminis for jacking your thread and confusing everyone...............
                        Last edited by wevsspot; 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM.
                        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                        Intel i7 950
                        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                        OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                        WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                        WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                        Corsair TX950W
                        Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Working...
                        X