Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Won't run at stock speed unless OC?: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually, now that I think of it... I know why now.

those two latter speeds 1218 and 1370 require you to overclock your BCLK. so that's why it's not choosing those by default. I wonder why g.skill would put those profiles there as "JEDEC" if they are not following the standard spec. (I guess it's designed to be overclocker's RAM)

so, basically... the only valid choice for the motherboard to choose at default is 1066. that's why you're getting 1066. any motherboard would do this with that RAM. you need to overclock to use the specs listed. for example, to get 685 (1370) you'd need a BCLK of 137 with a 1:5 ratio. (5x) if you set the motherboard to 137 I'm sure it would use that 685 profile by default. (or if it doesn't, just manually set it)

or you can underclock the RAM and run it at the overclocked timings. for example, 666MHz (1333) @ 9-9-9-25-34 1.50V will run fine. g.skill gives you a little extra headroom for overclocking.

but if you wanted to use the 800(1600) profile, you should use default 133BCLK with 1:6 (6x) ratio. you should be able to just enable XMP profile 1 and it will utilize the 1600MHz profile. or if XMP isn't working, just set it to 1:6 ratio (1600) with 9-9-9-25-40 with 2T command rate and 1.50V
    Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 01-22-2011, 01:13 AM.
    CPU: i7 4790K
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

I edited my above post significantly, just want to make sure you read it.

Comment

also, I'm guessing you have "low voltage" RAM and that's why all the profiles are at 1.50V. I'm guessing it would run 1600MHz with tighter timings and 1T command rate if you went to 1.65V. (for example, 8-8-8-24 1T 1.65V) just something to think about. g.skill probably wouldn't recommend it since they only tested it for 1.50v and the headspreaders may not be designed for the extra heat. BUT, then again it could really be 1.65V ram underclocked to higher timings just to achieve 1.50V "low voltage" which is probably more likely

Comment

sorry... maybe I jumped the gun a bit. I just re-read your original post. about your BSOD's at XMP profile, maybe it's your CPU. the memory controllers could be holding it back from 1600, you may need some more VTT voltage. worry about that before overclocking.
          Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 01-22-2011, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Bclk?

Thanks for the detailed replies!

But BCLKs? I seen this in the bios and that's really unchartered waters for me. I dont feel comfortable in that area. These new bios'settings are vastly more complicated now and i dont even want to flash my bios as to risk re-entering the wrong settings after flashing.

My cpu is i7 930. this cpu shouldnt be blocking anything??

My current timings in manual mode are 9-9-9-24 and dram timing mode 2N and QPI/Dram 1.35v. dram freq is 1600 Mhz. But my fans are working much harder now than they were in auto mode (which is annoying). Am i still underclocking my ram with these settings?
            Last edited by Hmm888; 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

It is not underclocking if it is showing DDR3-1600 as rated.

QPI/DRAM Voltage is a little high, possibly causing instability, so lower that to see if it can be stable.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks. The QPI/Dram 1.35v setting was given to me in the Asus forum. What is the default setting? And just any FYI. In an email from Asus, I was told this: [set]
                'QPI/DRAM Core Voltage' manually from 1.5v~1.6v for a try"

BTW, what is the difference between DRAM bus voltage and 'QPI/DRAM Core Voltage? If i understand things a little, the Asus tech made a mistake and was meaning DRAM bus voltage NOT QPI/DRAM?
                Last edited by Hmm888; 01-25-2011, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Default QPI/DRAM Core Voltage is 1.10V.

I HOPE they meant DRAM Voltage, or else they are asking you to "try" frying your CPU.

Sadly, I doubt that's what they meant. I don't know why, but they suggest values way too high. Some of their motherboards automatically set QPI to 1.40V with XMP enabled, but if QPI varies from CPU to CPU even of the same exact model, why would they set that? Beats me, I guess because it wasn't set before, and many people complained, they thought the best idea was to plug in a random number? Too bad that just causes even more problems such as missing memory capacity as a bunch of people experience..

DRAM Bus Voltage is the memory voltage. The QPI/DRAM Core* Voltage is the memory controller voltage. These values need to be within a certain range, if not, it can damage the CPU. If you leave DRAM to AUTO and QPI to 1.6250V, that can surely damage your CPU. That is exactly what the guy in the thread before yours did.. hopefully his CPU is still OK.

For your CPU and memory, QPI/DRAM Core Voltage should only be around ~1.20V based on our testing. You should leave it to AUTO, or find the lowest stable voltage.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Hmm. What a ding-dong at Asus support. She also tells me to clear my CMOS and reflash the bios.

You're spot on about xMP and QDRAM being at 1.40v. I noticed that right away. In the Asus forums which are slow as molasses and I hate going there, I only got one reply and the regular postertypically suggest to people to go for 1.35v. He says he had my RAM before and had the BSOD as well until he switch to another brand. Nobody has come back to me say why my mobo's fans are running higher than before and why EPU is disabled as well.

I'll be setting the QDRAM to auto and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Typically anything other than DDR3-1333 will disable power saving features since it can cause instability if not. What is the current temperature for CPU? As you raise QPI/DRAM Core Voltage, that directly affects CPU temperature, so that can be part of the reason.

All this can be quite confusing, which is why most just give typical answers or don't respond at all.. but here at G.Skill, we give straight forward honest answers. What better way than to educate and post true information that everybody can use and benefit from?

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

So what you're saying is if I choose to buy more RAM (or ditch this one) then I should choose DDR-1333 (not 1600) and I will have power saving options available to me? I cant believe how much DDR3 RAM costs now. I paid about $100 more at the end of May 2010 for my DDR3 RAM.

Below are my temps and voltages while running QDRAM 1.35V and following is today, running AUTO, I think I seen in the BIOS today the temp reaching 40C.
                        I agree, this is the best way to educate yourself and help others at the same time.

QDRAM 1.35V Hardware monitor Winbond W83627DHG
                        Voltage 0 0.94 Volts [0x75] (CPU VCORE)
                        Voltage 1 1.75 Volts [0xDB] (VIN1)
                        Voltage 2 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (+3.3V)
                        Voltage 3 4.87 Volts [0xCB] (+5V)
                        Voltage 4 11.77 Volts [0xD3] (+12V)
                        Voltage 6 1.13 Volts [0x8D] (VIN6)
                        Temperature 0 37?C (98?F) [0x25] (SYSTIN)
                        Temperature 1 31?C (87?F) [0x3E] (CPUTIN)
                        Temperature 2 29?C (83?F) [0x39] (AUXTIN)
                        Fan 1 2280 RPM [0x25] (CPUFANIN0)
                        Fan 2 1172 RPM [0x9] (AUXFANIN0)
                        Fan 3 1172 RPM [0x90] (AUXFANIN1)

QDRAM Auto: PC been on for about 10 minutes
                        Voltage 0 0.94 Volts [0x75] (CPU VCORE)
                        Voltage 1 1.75 Volts [0xDB] (VIN1)
                        Voltage 2 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (+3.3V)
                        Voltage 3 4.87 Volts [0xCB] (+5V)
                        Voltage 4 11.77 Volts [0xD3] (+12V)
                        Voltage 6 1.08 Volts [0x87] (VIN6)
                        Temperature 0 33?C (91?F) [0x21] (SYSTIN)
                        Temperature 1 31?C (87?F) [0x3E] (CPUTIN)
                        Temperature 2 31?C (86?F) [0x3D] (AUXTIN)
                        Fan 1 2058 RPM [0x29] (CPUFANIN0)
                        Fan 2 1172 RPM [0x9] (AUXFANIN0)
                        Fan 3 1164 RPM [0x91] (AUXFANIN1)
                        Last edited by Hmm888; 01-26-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

You don't have to ditch this memory, you just need to operate it at DDR3-1333 instead of DDR3-1600.

Regarding prices, I completely agree, but this is great. Now people can afford 8GB, 16GB, and more. Otherwise in the past there was no way one could buy a 16GB kit for $1000.

Temps look normal, as long as they do not exceed 80-90 under full load, it will be fine.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

once you get your ram stable, feel free to enable power management and fan speed stuff... like in cpu features, EIST, C1/C6, etc... those will ensure your cpu downclocks when idle. and undervolts. and for cooling make sure the CPU fan is set to PWM or some kind of auto instead of disabled or manual. (not sure how asus does it) so the fan slows down when not needed and not 100% all the time.

but this stuff should be enabled by default. have you tried loading optimized defaults? or asus equivalent... or just manually enable it. but like GSKILL said, maybe once you change BCLK asus disables that to be safe.

if you want to make it simple and run 1333, don't buy a new kit. basically all u need to do is change memory though, just set it to 1333 at the 9-9-9 and 1.50v on the ram.. forget about QPI/VTT voltage, you don't need to change that to run 1333. at 1600 maybe u would...
                            Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

maybe in a year or two i'll get new RAM. I am not an early adopter and I keep my PCs for around 3+ years. but at the same time, Idont like my system not running up to spec.

i havent changed any BCKL so it appears for now that @1600 disables power management and there is no way to overide these settings to have my cpu throttle down. i see no option any where. All the settings are on auto except for 2N (timing mode) and the memory timings.

Will I noticed a difference @1333? I certainly notice a difference at 1666 over 1066. By going 1333 I hve to change the QDRAM voltage from AUTO (previously 1.35) to 1.50 v?

BTW. Asus is ignoring me now after I asked for clarification if they understand what I am asking. I should open up another ticket and hopefully i will get someone else.
                              Last edited by Hmm888; 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

If you open another ticket, might mention you had a ticket and are being ignored.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X