• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't seem to get memory to work at rated timings

Model of the motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0 Bios F6
    Model of the memory: F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
    Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

The problem I'm having is that, while my old pair of 2x2GB memory rated at 1600MHz with 1.65v at 7-9-7-24 runs fine, these don't seem to want to run at 7-7-7-21 with any combination of voltage or slots that I've tried so far.

At first, I figured something doesn't like my ram running at a CL of 7 but I confirmed that my older pair worked just fine (even booted with 1.5v - which these are supposed to do). I even tried a looser CL of 8 (8-8-8 at 1T and 2T) but with the same outcome. What happens is that, I set the timings in the BIOS and when I reboot, I get the warning that my previous overclock was unstable and thus would be reverted to the previously known good configuration. When I check the memory settings in the BIOS, they are the same as to what I just changed them to so I'm unsure about what its actually changing back.

I have tried each stick individually and the same issue persists in all slots on my motherboard. I've run Memtest86+ for around 8 hours with no errors with both sticks in while running at the loose timings of CL 9 at 1333MHz.

At this point, I'm thinking that my 1055T's IMC simply cannot cope with the density of these modules even though I have raised the CPU NB Volts along with upping my memory to 1.65v using the provided steps in the BIOS.

I am probably missing something and I'm looking for some advice. Thanks.

What speed do you have the CPU at? and could you post your BIOS settings, should be able to run this set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So you are attempting DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21 1.65V, and your other kit boots at 1.50V?

I'm a little confused about the actual issue.. this kit should work flawlessly at DDR3-1333 7-7-7-21 1.50V. For overclocking, it is much more difficult for 4GB modules, as you know the density is a limiting factor.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        What speed do you have the CPU at? and could you post your BIOS settings, should be able to run this set
        The 1055T is stock, everything is stock. I'll have to look at the BIOS later to find the exact settings but everything is on Auto or at stock settings.

To clarify, I was using my old kit as an example. It allows me to use CL7 but these don't.

I am not overclocking anything at the moment, simply trying to get this kit to run at the specified timings/speed. The problem is, it doesn't seem to work at 1333 7-7-7-21 1.50v.

Comment

Because of the higher density and 8GB (versus 4GB) population, you may need to tickle the NB voltages.

Try these:
          CPU/NB voltage: 1.30v (max 1.35v)
          NB voltage: 1.35v (max 1.3875v)
          Might have to increase the CPU voltage as well, do so in small increments.
          Last edited by NemesisChild; 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM.
          AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
          Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
          SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
          Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
          Corsair HX850W Modular
          Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
          2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have not had a chance to test this stuff out yet.

Although, I did have my old memory in for a day or so, running at it's rated timings and voltage (1600mhz 7-9-7-21 at 1.65v) and took it out. Put in the G.Skill kit and it booted right up so, I'm guessing it just doesn't like the tight timings on everything. Lowering the second value to 8 and finally the rated 7 produced the same issue as before. Only 9 seemed to allow it to boot.

But, like I said, I haven't really had time to test it completely at the moment and it seems like a setting/voltage issue and not the RAM. We'll see, though.

Thanks again for the insight.

Comment

Let us know how things go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright, well, I can no longer test the ram in my AMD machine as I have just parted it out, replacing it with an Intel motherboard and cpu.

I will say that, the ram now works (boots without issues) at it's rated timings and voltage but I also haven't tested it with Memtest86+, Prime95, OCCT, or any other testing software to be sure. I did receive a lock up in Windows but I'm unsure of whether thats the ram or not yet.

Things are looking better, though.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

hi,

i know this is late as you have changed your mobo/cpu but just would like to share for those who maybe in the same boat, that i had the exact same issue (i.e. specially the message you get) with my gigabyte mobo/x4 cpu when i got this particular ram.

the simple fix was to reset/clear the cmos then manually put in 7-7-7-21-2T with everything else at auto.

now works like a charm! snappy, smooth and cool temps and did i say blazing fast

Comment

Think you'll be happy with the intel - what did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by slamtaz View Post
                      hi,

i know this is late as you have changed your mobo/cpu but just would like to share for those who maybe in the same boat, that i had the exact same issue (i.e. specially the message you get) with my gigabyte mobo/x4 cpu when i got this particular ram.

the simple fix was to reset/clear the cmos then manually put in 7-7-7-21-2T with everything else at auto.

now works like a charm! snappy, smooth and cool temps and did i say blazing fast
                      Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully it'll help others with the same problem.

Although, it did fix your issue, it just didn't seem to work for me for some strange reason and I pretty much stopped messing with it after multiple tries.

As far as what configuration I ultimately ended up with: ASUS P8P67 Pro and the Intel 2600K. There were a few hiccups along the way but after using the RTC RAM jumper to clear things and updating the BIOS along with reinstalling Windows multiple times, its been working fantastically well.

Thanks again. This forum is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X