Memory 16 GB (8 GB usable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory 16 GB (8 GB usable)

Recently built a ASUS P7P55D-E system with 8 GB total of [ Ripjaws ] F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH (4Gx2) memory. Today have added 2 more DIMMS of the same memory to get to 16 GB total, now have 4 DIMMS to fill all 4 mobo slots.

system recognizes the 16GB but shows 'Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (8.00 GB usable)'
    CPU-Z recognizes all 16 GB of memory. Memory is set at 1600 Mhz 7-8-7-24 at 1.6v
    Bios shows max memory at 8GB. The Bios is up to date with version 1101.

any clues??

any help is much appreciated, thanx

If you could post your BIOS settings we'll take a look - also may try disabling the USB 3 in the BIOS, have been reports of it messing with the mobo seeing DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      If you could post your BIOS settings we'll take a look - also may try disabling the USB 3 in the BIOS, have been reports of it messing with the mobo seeing DRAM
      disabled USB 3

I'm a bit of a noob with the Bios stuff, so here's some info, if you need other settings, let me know.

***CPU Settings***
      Module Version :01.0A
      Intel
      Brand String: i7CPU k 875@
      2.93GHz
      Freq: 2.93GHz
      BCLK Sped: 1.37MHz
      Cache L1: 256 KB
      Cache L2: 1024 KB
      Cache L3: 8192 KB

Ratio Status: (Min:09, Max:63)
      Ratio Actual: 22
      CPUID: 106E5

***AI Tweak***
      CPU Core Voltage: 1.120v
      IMC Volatage: 1.15v
      DRAM Voltage: 1.596v
      CPU PLL Voltage: 1.787v
      PCH Voltage: 1.043v

Target CPU Freq: 2926MHz
      Target DRAM Freq: 1600MHZ

Comment

Some Luck...

I swapped the new DIMMS into A1/B1 and the old ones into A2/B2. Rebooted and now shows Installed memory 16GB (15.2 usable). re-enabled USB 3 and still 15.2.

does that make sense then? am I all good? or should it say 16GB usable?
        Last edited by tcampbell; 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

15.2 showing where? if that's what it's showing in Windows, it may be redirecting some to your GPU (or possibly elsewhere)....could take IMC voltage up just a tad (1.2) and same w/ PLL (1.2)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

in the windows 7 system properties. "Installed memory (RAM): 16.0GB (15.2 GB usable)"
            thought 15.2 it was a bit strange.

Adobe After Effects shows the 15.2 now as well which I guess is good, thats one one the main reasons I went to 16.

I have the ATI 5970 with the 2 GPU's installed. I didn't know that was even possible that RAM could be directed to the GPU.

Comment

Yes, systems have been delegating DRAM to the GPU forever - to check what is being used - go to start -
              and type in DXDIAG tell it yes and then in the menu select display 1 and it will tell you appr how much DRAM (on-board and borrowed you have available

Tman

Comment

it say 716MB in the DXDIAG. I guess thats probably it huh. I'll up the voltage a bit like you suggested.

thanx for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

No problem, enjoy and have a good one

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X